ATTN BOB: Starboard trim ram cap backed out

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Bob,

Putting the boat in the trailer I noticed the startboard trim ram cap backed out a few threads and it was oozing pink frothy milky fluid. I removed the trim cap assy and looked at the o-ring(s) and all looked good (fluid inside of culinder was pink frothy milky). Cap is a little torn up on the spanner wrench surface from the mating part (where the ball end of the ram rests).

I have tightened the cap down (is there a torque spec?) and I am wondering what the procedure is to flush and fill the trim fluid? I know where and how to fill (white plastic cap). i would like to make sure that ALL water is removed from the system.

Oh yes, 2001 Merc EFI 225. Serial number is not at hand.

Mini

There is no torque spec other than to "tighten securely". The only way to flush is to manually pump it out {when fully tilted}, and then introduce new fluid. Cycle the trim a few times, then repeat. Use ATF dextron type 2 or 3. ;)

When you say manually pump it out, do you mean using the trim system or a different pump through the fill hole?

Thanks in advance.

You'd have to use a "primer bulb" {works great}, with a length of hose and do it manually. Do not cycle until full.....;)

Should the fluid be replaced on a regular basis? Mine is a 2004 150XR6 and I don't remember if there is a service schedule for this or not?

Thanks

BF

Bob, one more question. Approximately what is the fluid capacity of the trim pump? Want to make sure there is enough in there.

I used ATF Dexron 3 and removed and filled three times. Third time is still in there and I didnt use the entire quart.

Sorry missed it....capacity is not listed, but it is only about two pints. ;)

Great! Thanks once again Bob!

Bob, per your request for updates....

Trim cap stayed in place and all fluids seem ok. Trim motor and pump sound smooth (no laboring like air is in the system).

Thanks a BUNCH for your help as always!

Mini

Back