AR15 bolt...how wet?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
For those of you who have AR15 experience, I am wondering how much lube you like to put on your bolt and carrier group.

Been many years but I only used a oily rag to wipe it down. Oil attracts dirt and dust. Should only be a very very light coat but a dry type lubricant is best. We used a light coat of oil in tropical environments, no oil in dry environments. Do you have the newer type bolts? boron/nickel? (no oil)

Try Tetra Grease. A tiny amount goes a very long way. AirForce is right, too much only attracts dust/dirt and fowlings. Tetra Grease is awesome stuff. It will last much longer than oil and the slightest amount will keep things functioning properly. I use it on my AR and all other toys.

Back when we gave up our M14 for AR 16s on my last ship the gunners mates ran them with a little oil then wiped them off. We were in the tropics most the time. Since then I've built and ran quite a few M4' s and AR 15's. Like it's been mentioned oil and grease is a dirt trap. I run mine dry. By that I will oil then wipe dry with a CLEAN dry cotton rag. If I plan on putting a lot of rounds through it a tad more light oil. I use oil with CLP (cleans lubricates and Protects) most of it is the type the military uses. In a very cold environment I don't use grease or any of the synthetics.

Agree 100% with above statements.....very little oil needed....and I clean mine with CLP also. That's great stuff. I just bought a new Blackhawk quad-rail fore grip for mine.....and I mounted a verticle grip on the handle that has an integral bi-pod in it. Push a button and out pops a spring loaded bi-pod,....That's the shiznit!!! The only other accessory I want to add now is a flash light.

Been a long time since I was at Colt Armorer's school.... Covered pistols, revolvers, rifles and at the time the Sig shotguns (rifles, also). Their #1 rules was do not run the AR/M "dry". Lot's of possibles were approved. A favorite of the instructor was CLP from Breakfree and G96. The BCG needs to be lubed and wiped "almost" dry (lightly lubed is a good as any description). Storage deserves "Gun Grease" (NOTHING IS BETTER FOR STORAGE). Severe cold dictates a special lube.... only currently known true arctic product is http://www.biofirearmlubes.com/Bio_Arctic_Firearm_Lube.html At the present time I am unable to suggest a repackager of small (less than 30 gal drums) but I am working on it....

Latest posts

Back