Anyone seen or ridden in a VIP Stealth?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has either seen up close or ridden in a Stealth boat by VIP. They're out of LA which by the way just got pummled by the hurricane I hear. They were in the 2001 Bassmaster bassboat round up and were toted as the "perfect" guide boat. The 19 footer only has an 89" beam, but they're reputed as being built tough as nails and having a softer ride, not to mention tons of storage space. They don't come with many standard options. On the 20 footer with a 225, hydraulic steering is an OPTION? yeah, I'd like to see somebody hang on to 225 ponies with rack and pinion. Anyway, I found a dealership in the Catskills and am expecting a call back today, but haven't found anyone that has seen one of these boats up close. Anyone here? Don't worry, I'm just weighing my options for spring. My wife already gave me the green light to get a new boat next spring since she's getting a new house, furniture, bedroom set.......etc! I want to stay around $20k but get a 19' with at least a 175 hp....YAMAHA!

Here's a link. I'm a bit worried that each time I read specs, they're ALL different from each brochure, to over the phone to the web page?????? The fuel capacity of the DX 190 on the brochure says 34 gallons. 29 is definately not enough for a 175 all day.
http://www.bassboatdeal.com/viewboats.htm

I've seen them on the water. They look nice from my point of view, but that's not enough to go by. They do have the large missing chunk of deck where the cooler is, however.

I bet you could get a year-end Gambler Outlaw for just over that range. It's got a 90" beam and 8'1" deck length.

I really would like to see one of those VIPs up close. I wonder what electronics upgrades you can get....................sa

Rob,

I looked one over..a 17' that was a bank repo...so, it didn't have the best care...No ride, just inspected it visually. I was not "excited" by anything about that particular boat... Might be that bigger ones are more impressive...just didn't see anything great about the one boat. I'd get on bassboatcentral and ask around.

Of the bigger boats that I have ridden in...the better ones were Stratos and Basscat...And, really, Scott's 2000 was right there with those boats....dry, wide, stable...and that voice command shift was so "high tech"... We didn't bust anything more than 2-3' boat wakes so on long 3-5' bad water runs I've only been in a Basscat PanteraII...that boat impressed me all to heck in that bad water!

I've heard that about the cats too. And the price is very reasonable too. Do a search and you'll see I poised that same question about Basscats when reading the same report. I just want the best ride for my money. Not necessarily the fastest or purtiest, but best for my back. I can sacrifice 5-8 mph for a drier, softer ride. Especially if it's 8-9k less in addition!

Here's a question for you guides, other then when fishing $$ tourneysm, does speed matter in a boat? I'd assume other then making sure you have A) enough HP to push the boat, 2 passengers + you, everyone's gear and food to a reasonable speed on the water you fish, B) enough HP to push all that stuff to and from the best "spots" to put folks on fish, and C) enough HP to get back to ramp/dock in a storm.

This comes from Rob's comment that he did not need "necessarily the fastest or purtiest, but best for my back. I can sacrifice 5-8 mph for a drier, softer ride. Especially if it's 8-9k less in addition!"

I can see, as Rob did with Buzz's boat, needing in a T to get to specific spots before someone else does, but as a Guide (and i've only been on a few guided trips) I assume comfort, storage and stability would be more important? Last guide I went with had a 21ft center console bay boat with a 225hp Honda, only top'd out at like mid-40's but was very stable and rode smooth.

Opinions??

All you have to remember is that a client is paying you to fish, not ride around the lake at a snails pace getting from one area to another. That's assuming you are on a bigger body of water. The other factor is that I want as much space as possible to keep client from guide. Otherwise you might be making a few trips to the ER to get lures pulled out of the back of your head. Overall, more size=better rough water ride.

TOXIC

Hey Rob...

Did you ride in Marke's TV-18 on Champlain?

How did you think it took the 'chop'?

I've had mine in some pretty harsh lake 'chop' and on Lake Michigan...Lake Michigan does the constant 'chop' with a big 'roller' on every 2nd or 3rd wave. It handles the chop with ease...as for the rollers...well, I've only had it airborne once...hahaha...then again, I can count the number of bass boats (of any manufacturer) I've seen on Lake Michigan on one hand. Been on Kentucky Lake in both a Procraft and a Ranger and was darn near peeing blood the next day...granted, I can't do 50mph in the TV-18, but it rides MUCH smoother at 35mph in that chop than the glass boats did...kind of like what you and Trep were saying...lower speed, but smoother ride...

Now, I'd really like to see MO with the 150 take some chop at 50mph!!!

az

Andy:

I've hit four foot wind-driven rollers on Lake Carlysle, and 2- to 3-foot wakes on Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock. Went airborne only once on Carlysle. Scott can attest to how rough that lake can get.

I learned to be real quick off the throttle, and to back down off plane when conditions called for it. I don't want to buckle the transom or have the motor snap off. It would be great to have a 115 back there. Perfect combination of weight/hp and speed for rough water.

In true chop, up on plane, it slices through very smoothly at 45. It starts to get a bit squirrly at 50 if you hit a rougue wave. I'm concerned about the weight of the 150 so I don't go much above 45 anymore.

Trep, if it wasn't for the fact that I also fish tourneys, I would guide out of a v-Hull style boat like a Tundra or other walleye or multi species boat. Deeper with more storage and like Toxic said, room to get clear of stray casts. I can't take a boat that only does say 30 mph, but can easily drop from 70 to 60 without a problem. I rarely go that fast with clients anyway as most are not used to it and get uncomfortable at that speed. Plus by slowing down, I save a LOT of gas. When I'm out for 10 hours in 50 degrees, any boat that saves my kidneys and back, and keeps me dry is the RIGHT boat for me. In May, you can ask Marke, once I GET there, I'm there for the day. I have a 3 mile stretch of flats that we just drift all day and will catch all the fish you want.

Andy, the day Marke came up, the lake was nice. No real chop to speak of. Maybe 8" to a foot max, but not enough to say I could make a judgement on it's rough water ride. I was impressed with the layout though. But you can tell it will be a wet ride in big water. Actually glass boats tend to ride better as they're heavier, but the v-Hull is the best design. So idealy, you want a V-hull, fiberglass boat, like the walley rigs. The Stealth rigs are not quite that but are not quite the conventional bass rig either. A good middle of the road, so I can still be competitive in tourneys turning out speeds in the 60's but can also live with the everyday waves Champlain throws when I'm guiding.

Rob,

My 929 has a deeper "V" than all of the other glass boats that I looked at. That was one of the reasons I liked it over the T's and R's.

TOXIC

Rob - That was what I thought, unless you fish T's i'd think a boat in the 40-50mph top end would be more then enough. Except for the clients who are A) pro's or B) pre-fishing a T.

Thanks guys!!! I was just figuring if I was going to hire a guide I don't care if I go more than 30-40mph as long as its smooth, has enough room and he/she puts me on fish!

The reason I mention Stealths is that Tracker has made it clear to me they don't intend to honor a warranty for a guide. A warranty is a tad important to someone who depends on their boat. Many company's in fact have guide incentive programs offering discounts, trade ins, etc. Why Tracker does not, I don't know, nor do I have the time to find out any more. I will simply invest my money in a boat that will be covered. Let's face it, we all hear of the problems that sometimes arise with Nitros and ALL boats. But I don't intend to spend $20k to $25k, to have something go really wrong and then have to pay for the repairs in two months too. It seems difficult enough to get results if you DO have a warranty. I'm not about to fork over my cash when the company looks me in the face and says, "Sorry but you don't have any warranty, have a nice day". Stealth has in fact such a program that I intend to capitalize on. Once in the program, I will likely have a new boat every 2-3 years. A little like Nitro state team deals but a little more negotiable and easier to do. Plus I don't have to move a boat every year. Nothing is definate at this stage, I'm just keeping my options open. I have a hard time providing brand loyalty to a company that has little or no loyalty to me. Kind of a personal conviction kind of thing. Like the employer that hires "at will" and expects you to be a life long devoted employee though they reserve the right to can you any time for any reason with no notice. WHAT kind of loyalty do you suppose that gets??????? NONE. If I opt for a used boat, then I will likely buy Buzz's boat if it's still available, as I know what I'm getting and that it's been maintained. Time will tell.

Rob-

Contact Gambler Boats Website. The national sales mgr will call you. Bills Marine in Skiatook, OK has a brand new 2100 (20' 7") tournament loaded w/225 hyd. steering 2001 model w/tandem trailer which has stainless steel fenders which won't rust away. they received from a dealer who went out of biz. if i had 20K it would be hooked up to my truck in a heartbeat. don't know about the guide thing or program but he would know. don't know much about the vip stealths.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh.....(as I give a thumbs up to James)

Gambler does have that kind of program (or they used to). I knew a guy that guided down here on the Stick Marsh and Lake Toho out of a Gambler, and got great deals through the factory and local dealer. I still wish I had the $ to join the state team, but "alas, the ladies is expensive...arrrrrgh"

I think that Nitro has such huge distribution, that they don't need to run these kinds of of promotions.

Good luck

Greg and MO -

I had that Nitro out on Carlyle last Sunday and, early in the day when the wind was up, we were getting some of those 3'+ rollers at the far end of the lake..... Put that 20' Nitro on about 45 mph and she just cruised right along!

It's got "anti-feedback" steering..... I don't know exactly what that is, but I don't believe it's hydraulic. No problem holding 200 ponies with my 28", scrawny arms - what the heck's another 25!

The boat also has a 3rd pedestal base between the consoles.

me!

Stealth has only 29 gallons of gas in the 19'. Not much for real T use and only a 5 year transom/ hull warranty

Dave, 5 years is better than no years! LOL The stealth actually has 34 gallons per the rep and the brochure. Also there is an aux 12 gallon tank available I would add that puts you at 46 gallons. That's enough.

James, I like the way Gamblers are set up, and lord knows they're built for blistering speed, but again that's NOT what I'm after. The Gamblers are primarily balsa framed encases in glass. To me that screams trouble on Champlain. They don't appear to be a very soft riding boat and that is priority 1 to me after price. I talked to Mickey not long ago about it, and he suggest I look at Javelins. There very inexpensive by comparison, ride dry and soft, and yet are still surprisingly fast. If I can get more speed incidentally that's OK, but I'm not looking for it. I'll let you guys know. I might make a trip to drive a DX190. If the deal is sweet enough, I might even go with the DX 200 and a 225 V-max.

WHAT????? A Javelin with a soft dry ride......Rob were you hitting the crack pipe again???? Last Javelin I rode in was as rough as a washboard!! I got black and blue marks on my legs from hitting the console. Now don't go saying it's all the driver because the guy I was with knew how to drive. I had roids so bad after that day they were water skiing behind the boat..... Seriously though, if you have got the time to wait, I have some irons in the fire that I won't know for sure until spring whether or not they will pan out. Looks very good right now. My point is that if these deals come together, I will be selling the 929 in or around January and might be convinced to let her go very reasonably for the tax write off.

TOXIC

Hey, I'm game. I'm not buying until spring but always start my homework early. The Javelin tip came from Mickey Bruce who is a credible source. Granted I haven't ridden in one yet, but have priced them, and the prices are good. I've heard mixed reviews just like every other boat.

No doubt, that was going to be my original advice. Ride in every make of boat. I hesitated to bring up my boat because I don't want anyone to get the impression I am pushing it on the board. But if I can help you out I will. Gotta be something in it for me also....It just depends on how the cards fall.

TOXIC

Nope no balsa in a Gambler. Maybe you are thinking of Allisons. Gamblers are actually one of the heavier boats. All composite, foam, fiberglass, and kevlar. Very smooth rides.

I have ridden in Javelins and found them to give good rough water rides. They tend to carry a good V to cut waves. Roughest boat I've been in was an Allison....but man it was FAST!

Really? And the Gamblers ride nice? I might just call on that boat then and get me a test drive. I know what it was, it was Bullet boats that are made with balsa!

Rob, The question you need to ask Toxic is what shape and smell condition is boat in afer thousands of TOXIC blasts

Well I already figured the motor cowling will be melted and warped, and I plan on having to replace HIS driver seat, but other than that and the stress cracks on the steering wheel where he grips so hard during ignition, the boat ought to be OK!

Rob,

I heard from one of the guys at the store that the Gambler (not sure witch model) has ZERO storage under the back deck. Not little storeage..I'm talking about non-existant. He fished a T as non-boater and there was no where to put anything. I just wanted to mention that because I know you need stroage too.

Rob. TALK TO GAMBLER. go to their website and enter your info for a catalog. The national sales rep will call you.

i'm not interested in 80 mph either but more so in quality over the long run and big water survival (gets windy here in oklahoma).

no balsa, great layout, all composition, double hull construction, newer models have trim tabs, and even offer kevlar as an option. i've been looking at all brands of used boats for the last year and i've decided my next boat will be a Gambler. Gambler is a beautiful fast boat that speeks Quality to me and seems to really seperate itself from the mass produced boats. Great fit and finish, all the major features, and the used ones i've seen look great. i've been told they have a really solid one piece feel to them in the big water. definately want to check these out.

the back deck is interesting and unique as far as storage and the layout. the livewells are on the side. some of the newer models offer a compartement for the rear light and tools and a "quick draw" plano 3700 box compartment (i think maybe six boxes). The front deck on the boat is so huge that all of the storage is up front as even on the 19' outlaws there is a deck of over 8' in length. the 2100 series look sweet as far as space, storage, and amenities. Looks like one of the best made boats on the market to me.

Once again...James is da man!

Anway Marke, the front deck is where all the glory is, it's like a single bedroom apartment. TONS of storage, but it's all up front. Gambler is a transom heavy boat it sits very nose high in the water while unoccupied, but its balance is amazing, once you stand up front, the magic begins. The storage has never been a problem for me. The 2200 is like a house boat to fish from. It has FULL LENGTH rod lockers, no torpedo holes to bust rod eyes with. Check this:

http://www.gamblerboats.com/Gambler2200-1.html

BUT, as I said before, I was pretty impressed with the Javelins I have seen and ridden in. They are a solid, well priced boat. But they are not space ships like the Gamblers ;?)

http://www.gamblerboats.com/Gambler2200.html

Rob, if you ever make it down towards FL and want to fish the stick marsh, you have an open invitation to test ride my old G. It's a '93 but is still kickin with all ponies. Although.....I'll be in GA this weekend bowhunting

I'll second what SA said about storage on the Gambler.

There is a dealer just a few miles away from me (Nameoki Marine in Granite City, IL) that I regularly go to for parts..... Every time, I stop by the 2100's and GAWK! Those front decks are awesome! The storage beneath the decks even more so!! The boat itself looks like something from Star Trek!!!

Some day..... Maybe just some day..... Nah. Forget it. No one is gonna let me drive their Gambler now that I've talked about stuffing the nose of a boat tight into a turn!

Latest posts

Back