Anyone own a MinnKota Genesis??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Jones

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Nitro 901 with the Motorguide that came on it. I'm thinking about switching to the new MinnKota Genesis. Just wondering if anyone else owns one and would give me a first hand owners report. Do you like it? Any problems with it? I would appreciate hearing about your experience with it. Thanks

Larry:

I don't own one, but here is a link to a discussion on another board about this motor:

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/reports/index.html

Click on Georgia (Lower Right under "Which state do you want to see?") and then select "Lake Lanier, Georgia From Bill Barrett on 11/10/01 (7 remarks) "

TrepMan

Larry:

I don't own one, but here is a link to a discussion on another board about this motor:

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/reports/index.html

Click on Georgia (Lower Right under "Which state do you want to see?") and then select "Lake Lanier, Georgia From Bill Barrett on 11/10/01 (7 remarks) "

TrepMan

I do not own one, but am aspiring to get one. Please send a memo to Santa telling him I have been REALLY good this year. All jokes aside. I watched a couple of pros up here prefish the FLW with them and they are "slicker than snot!"

That's a north country thing, don't read too far into it! But seriously, they look like they make a world of difference. Just as soon as I swallow the $1200 to get one, I'll let you know. I like the electonic stow and deploy and even more the height adjustment, without having to bend down in rolling waves and loosen a nut and move the motor, then retighten the nut, etc! Anyhow, if you get one, be sure to post pros and cons for us will you.

Rob

All I've heard is that they're too big to fit nicely on the bow of the boats!!..They hang over the nose too far and it makes it very difficult to launch and load the boat without the trolling motor bracket making hard contact with the bow roller on the trailer. I've heard that's a problem on Rangers, Nitro's and Tritons...but it may only mean that you'd have to get out of the boat and lift the bow during launches and loading.....that in itself would be a royal PIA especially if you're by yourself...that could end up being a MAJOR pain!!! Will keep you posted if I hear more!!

Mac

There are Retractable Brackets available for most motors.. (Dont know about Genesis though) Perhaps the motor could be retracted when loading/unloading on the trailer and work as otherwise specified once in the water.

Well, Mac..... If someone can afford 1200 bux (Or is that BUX?) for a trolling motor - they can certainly afford a boat large enough that it won't get in the way!

me!

Larry,

I own one. I have it on a 911 CDC. I have NOT experienced any problems with the motor striking the winch roller or anything for that matter. I don't have any problem launching my boat either. The motor itself is smooth and full of gadgets.

The model I have is the 74AP. Like the name suggests it has a 74 lb thrust and is equipt with auto pilot. This trollong motor takes some getting use to. It is not like most "Pull the cord and drop it in the water" type motors. You have to think of this thing like a computer. In that since, you have a digital display that shows the amount of battery you have left, it will also tell you if there is anything wrong with the motor. It gives you error codes that you can check against a troubleshooting card they give you with the motor. Things that could cause errors are, moving the motor more than 360 degrees, motor binding and not being able to turn because you may have vegitation on the foot. I recently had a problem deploying and stowing my motor. They have a sequence you need to go through incase this happens and it will either get the motor back in the boat or in the motor, what ever it is you need.

I can not say enough for the custormer support got from minn kota. They shipped me a new foor pedal with no problem and was willing to help me with any problem I had with it.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

Steve

Latest posts

Back