Anyone make their middle seat removable?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Cold winter comming here to GA and I probably can't get the boat out for 2 more weeks :(

So, lately i've been fishing with Eli or my buddy Dan, and we are steping OVER the middle seat (not so easy for a 6 yearold). I just want my seats to last. So i was a thunking about removing the middle seat cushin and some home making it reattachable? I was thinking initialy about snaps like the seat cushins on my regular seats use? Figure the middle seat on my 700 is seperate from the backrest and is just bolted to the seat bench.

Anyone do this or have a suggestion? What i'd realy like and don't have the $$ is to buy a 911 seat that matches color and has the center step/pull out built in, if it would fit, but $$ is tight this year (no comments from the peanut gallery on the Rabbi and his frugalness!!! LOL).:D

Here's an idea...when you bottle your home brew, put it in .10 cent returnable bottles, then save them all up and return them to the store to buy your 911 seat!!! :D

Neeley - Its GA there is NO SUCH THing as returnables!! the gas alone comming to MI would kill my boat budget this year!!

Ok...hmmmm....let me see.

How can we help our frugal Jewish friend squeeze 3 dimes and a nickel from a quarter.......

Let me think.....OK...GOT IT.

Brew MORE BEER....drink MORE BEER...then the extra money your saving on not buying real beer will add up faster and you can use that to buy your seat!!! :lol::huh:

Trep - First, if I could get the middle seat (bottom) out I would put a non skid surface on the fiberglass so as not to slip and fall. I would then use either a strap and snap like they use on other boats or I would install velcro on the outer edges just to hold the seat cushion back in place.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bill

Bill - velcro sounds interesting, wonder if one of the sides wouldn't degenerate by being stepped on, so if I put a big piece glued down to act as the non-skid...mmmm.

I was thinking the strap/snap route too. I'll have to see this weekend how easy it comes off, it seems its just screwed in from below and thats easily accessable.

Trep

Oh and Neeley, thats one of the reasons I brew my own, I can do nice strong flavorful beer for the price of buying PBR!!! LOL Way ahead of ya dude!!

Trep...you're not understanding me.

Brew an EXTRA 6 pack to drink EACH NIGHT.....then take the savings from not having to buy an EXTRA 6 pack each night and use that money!!! :p

P.S.

I've had your brew....it is awesome.

Wanna send me some more?!?

Hey...what about rigging the seat back to fold down like the Ranger???

I use to have a 2000 640lx that had a step in place of a center seat. I purchased a jump seat as an option that would snap into place. I sold the boat but still have the red seat cushions in my garage, maybe they would work for you. Chris F.

Neeley - You mean like TRACKER!!!

TTV18SST0306_FO_06_700.jpg

Hey Chris, I have the center seat mine is grey and red, but thanks.

MO - So when you have this done the 3rd seat will be a wood seat with carpet? ouch!!

Michael, on my Sprint, the rear seat base comes out. It's supposed to be held by Velcro, but the Velcro is worn/weathered, to the point where it can't be trusted to hold the seat cushion at high speed.

The seat already had a vinyl loop for grabbing/removing the seat. I added a snap fastener to that loop, with the other half of the fastener screwed into the seat base/deck. The snap holds the seat in place while the boat (or trailer) is underway. When the seat is not in use, I just yank the vinyl grab handle, it unsnaps and up comes the seat base.

Sears sells a snap fastener kit in the hardware department.

I think Wal-Mart has them, too, in the camping department.

Trep my champion had a seat that folded almost just like the picture you have above. It didnt last long at all with people steppong on it. The non skid started coming off after about a month and the trim on the edge lasted maybe 3 months. They sent me a new one and it wore out every bit as fast.

On the other hand the center seat in my nitro has been stepped on all the time since i have owned it, 4 years now and counting and it is still in great shape. If you are goign to do something with it id try to make the mottom section removable.

Trep, I just removed my middle seat and threw in in the garage with all the other crap that's stacked up to the ceiling (picture the opposite of Tee's garage). It's usually only two in my boat anyway and if there is a third then they better pray that Tracker isn't BSing about that Smooth Ride Guarantee.

Harpo

i have a 98 800 lxs and i made the center seat bottom removable.

it was pretty easy, you have to remove the back first, then the bottom.

and reinstall the back,the bottom was covered with a piece of craftsman tool box

rubber and contact cement. the studs that hold the bottom on need to be cut off,

leaving a small amount to put on a chrome acorn nut. drill the mounting holes larger,

(i glued in a pair of rubber grommets) and slipping the seat under the back,

the acorn nuts will drop into the holes and stay in place.( use a strap or velcro

if you want but mine has never moved) and you have the choice of seat bottom or step.

the pictures in my library kinda show the bottom removed. when two of us go

i leave the bottom home.

good luck

ray

Rich "snap fastener to that loop" is that the kind of snap the vinyl straps use to close up the folding front/rear seats? That was what I was a thunking about, like maybe if mine after I remove it is somewhat snug in the back like the Sprint, I could put 1 or 2 stainless snap fasterners on the front and into the seat bench.

Great ideas guys.

Harpo - With my kids, especialy come summer ,i'll need all 3 seats in, heck with our skinny butts we can fit our family of 4 across on the 3 seats!!!

Trep,

Just buy a matching seat that will work for ya and send me the bill. I'll gladly pay for it so that this thread will stop!! LMMFAO!!!!

Bob G.

Rich "snap fastener to that loop" is that the kind of snap the vinyl straps use to close up the folding front/rear seats?

Yep, those are them.

MO - OK I get it, so the seat cushin will ONLY be used if someones butt is holding it down, you won't have it there "loose", that actualy makes more sense. Take it out, make a non-slip step and put the cushin in a storage compartment, then when I have both of my kids or my wife with me, I just have them SIT on the cushin. Good idea.

I took mine out of my PT 185 and just replaced it with carpeted piece of marine plywood. If I have someone as a third person they can sit on my " throwable cushion" that I have to have anyway.