Anyone have any Bang O' Lures ???

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I had not realized it, but one of my long time favorites is no longer being produced. I was down to 3, and loaned one to a fishing buddy (and he hasn't given it back :( ). Now I'm down to 2 and one has a bent prop that probably won't make it through many more fish.

Hoping to find some SP5's (5 1/4" long, 3/8 oz, with tail spinner). I have a favorite color, but at this point, any color at all will do.

If you have some you would be willing to sell to me, please let me know. If not, looks like I'll be making some out of balsa soon, and that is tedious work that takes forever to produce one lure.

All the best,

Glenn

Glen - Sorry, I've not seen the Bang O Lures, what I've found and used is the Smithwick Devilshorse, they are still made if that is an option

DevilsHorse-l.jpg

Glen there is a bait store in Fredericksburg that has had alot of them in the past. I have not been buy there but will stop by and see. If they have any I will buy them all and get you a couple.

Trep,

I've tried the Devils Horse for quite some time now. Works great, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The Bang O'Lure is a "finesse" type topwater. I used it when the water is completely calm and fish aren't hitting anything else. Otherwise, I'm using a Popper of some sort.

G8rmac,

Thanks. They don't have the color I want, but I'll be ordering a few of them anyways. I appreciate the link.

Gunny,

That would be very appreciated. I'm specifically looking for the SP5 version - tail spinner only on a 5 1/4" 3/8 oz lure. They make a few others, but that one is the one that always works for me. Favorite color.... Gold Foil with Black stripes... Second favorite is Silver Foil with Black stripes....but beggers can't be choosy... so I'll take any color you can get. :)

All the best,

Glenn

SAME AS GUNNY, ILL CHECK A LOCAL BAIT STORE THIS WEEK THEY USED TO HAVE THEM

Glenn....

I did some snorkeling under topwaters just because I could! They all looked "black" to me... Since then I have bveen very "unsensitive" about topwater colors.... Good luck, and I will watch around here...

Dan J. - You found the ones I wanted! Look back on that page and you will see another full green bar on the color I'm looking for! SP-5 in SBG color. I just bought some. Thanks for that link. I've never ordered from them before. I bookmarked that page for future use if this order goes through fine.

Thanks for looking everyone. I think I have what I'm looking for now. I appreciate all the offers to check local shops.

Greg,

You're probably right. I did the same thing as you at Lake Gaston, and I'll admit - they all looked black to me too. However, I've had days when identical lures in two different colors produced very differently. Switched to two of the same color / same lures in the boat and we were both catching the same amount of fish. Might have been a confidence thing, or the sound of the individual baits, etc... I'm not sure, but I can say I've done well on this particular color. Probably because I have a lot of confidence in it, but it works. Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

Glad to help. Just a note, I'm pretty sure with Bagley that the "-TS" models are the ones with the tail spinner. Non TS models are the standard jerkbait. Good luck! ;)

I'm going to try and go fishing for a lttle bit, but I'm afraid the cold will chase me off soon!! :lol:

Dan,

Yep, those were the ones I was specifically looking for - the tail spinner models. They made a regular jerkbait, a dual (front and back) spinner model without the bill, and a mix of the two - a jerkbait with the tail spinner. The last one is what I was looking for - the "TS" model. When it's very calm (and especially right over the top of submerged grass), I'll twitch it just a bit so that it goes just slightly under the surface. Not jerking it - just a light twitch. When it comes up, the tail spinner bubbles the water just a bit. Pause. Then I barely tap my rod to make it spin once more on the surface. Pause... BAM! :lol:

Oh man! I wanna go fishing now. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Bobski must have not read all the responses. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - Glad those were the ones. You're right, it's a great twitch bait! I've had a lot of fun with them below the spillways as a crippled immitator. They'll crush that 'lil prop!! :wub:

Dan J.,

And to think... for years, I joked with a guy in our bass club about them. If you saw him and asked what he was using (any time of day, any time of year), he would reply out of the side of his mouth, quickly, and barely comprehensible... "Banhhgolur". He routinely came in with fish though, especially on calmer days with little wind, so I started paying attention. Sure enough. He was always using that thing. Occasionally, he would switch for a while, but he sure did use that Bang O' Lure quite a bit. So I picked out a few colors I liked and started messing with various actions. Once I found a color and action the fish regularly hit, I stocked up on them. Wish I had bought more at the time. They were much cheaper back then! About half the price they are going for now. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back