Anybody with experience with Amsoil?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I've briefly looked into this syntheitic oil and am considering using it... Anybody have any experience?

Greg, what are you going to use it in? I've heard great things about Amsoil, expensive though. They claim 25,000 miles between oil changes on your car.

Actually... I've considered using it in "everything"...but especially in the outboards... And, although "pricey" I have heard it works out to be very little extra cost... Also, in the outboards...especially in the two strokes it reduces "smoke" to almost non-existent levels and therefore allows trolling with two strokes without the "smell".

No experience with Amsoil but I have used Mobil 1 syntheitic in all my cars for years. I became a believer when I bought a used BMW with 95,000 miles that had ben bought new by a Mobile Oil Co. exec. who had never used anything but Mobile 1. I took the car to my mechanic to had the valves adjusted and filters changed ect. He was convinced it was a new engine. The valve cover was clean enough to eat out of. I drove a GMC van to 200,000 with no engine issues at all.

I did use Penzoil syntheitic in my boat for a while but went back to Quicksilver on advice of the members of this web site.

Harpo

mobil 1 synthetic for me in the truck. (128,000 miles and still goin strong). I use the Quicksilver premium + in the boat.

out on the lake, i wish some motors burned cleaner as the exhaust sometimes really irratates my eyes. when I follow a boat out of the creek, I can't hardly drive cause my eyes are watering. it is tough sometimes being a bass fisherman.

haven't tried the amsoil. if you try it out, let me know how it works out for ya.

jd

I used it exclusively in my old (new when I bought it) 81 Chrysler 50 hp up until I bought my Nitro in 93. Motor ran great. I was premixing it and not using oil injection.

fatrap

Amsoil is good stuff. I have no experience wi the 2 cycle mix though. I used to be an AMSOIL dealer, mainly for cheaper prices. I just hated to order everytime I need an oil change. I ran it in my 1995 Corolla with 135k miles. Ran it for about 14k miles with just changing filter and adding a quart. Oil analysis came back good.

Run Mobil 1 in engine and differentials and Redline in tranny and transfer case now.

Greg this is my 2nd year using it, I use Amsoil in my wheel bearing as they have a waterproof grease I use there gear lube in my lower unit & I use the injector oil in my engine. Last year I used 8 gallons when I made the switch right after break-in & for this year I have 12 gallons. My brother races stock cars & as soon as we switched to all synth oil & the engine wear was cut in half. The main reason most outboard engines blow is because of rings sticking because of the excess carbon build-up & w/ Amsoil that'll be cut in half. I've had no problem at all w/amsoil products, so give it a try it might just save your engine, it will also give you 100 to 200 more RPM's less pollution , less heat & less smoke. Mark

Mark:

What motor do you have and does it have oil injection? How much do you get it for?

Bob,

I passed your comments on to my contact with Amsoil and I thought you

would be interested in his reply...

"Greg, I contacted the Amsoil tech department today, and explained the

problem that your friend encountered. It was explained to me that some time

ago, they had a problem with the type of dye they were using. It was

settling to the bottom and looked like it wasn't supposed to be there. It

created no problems and simply shaking to mix, or adding it to the gas

solved the problem.. There were no ill effects from using it, as your friend

attested to. If I can be of any further help, please give me a shout."

JohnP

These guys want me to sign up as "Pro Staff". Before I do that I want to be

sure that I am representing a first class product. So I have been pretty

"in your face" about my questions. They have answered everything and sent

me some pretty impressive references...

Anyway, I am going to try their products in my boat and truck and go from

there...

Greg Meyer

I have tried it for the first time in my 4cyl car and was amazed that the average mpg was originally about 19 mpg hwy and city. when I changed to to amsoil it increased to prox 24 mpg. however that lastest only about a month and am back to about 19 mpg. I am going to give it a second chance and just changed the oil in my 4.6 ford pickup and going to wait for about another month to change it in my Chrysler 4 cyl. and see what happens. If I get the same results with only higher mpg for a month I think I will go back to mobil1

Back