Anybody ever fish Maxincuckee in Indiana

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Anybody ever fish Maxincuckee Lake in Indiana. It's bee suggested as an early largemouth lake...

I'll ask around Greg. IMO is a crazy "all sports" lake populated by mega rich. you should see some of the homes. There are multimillion dollar mansions owned by Sheiks whos kids are at Culver Military Academy.

I can call a couple people who would know better than I, later this PM. I would not be too surprised you are correct, knowing the topography of the lake, however "early" is the key word, as in before warm enough for the jet skis.

U gettin' board with walleye's Greg?? You need some REEL excitement in your life and decided to go after Largies?? I'll be damned.....you CAN teach old sheepdogs new tricks!!;):rolleyes:

Greg, when are you planning on going.

1 It can be a great small mouth lake in the spring!

2 There are some good large mouth there but the Smallies are more the prime target.

3 Yes some big houses and lots of pleasure boaters in the summer.

4 Friend of mine fished there a couple years ago when a plane crashed into the lake!

I can give you some pointers but if you do go early enough look for the boulders!

Randy!

News: Maxincuckee is one of two lakes in this (Marshall County) county that State DNR stocks with walleye. other is lake of the woods. (Max in in southwest Marshall county. Lake o t woods is in NE).

from what I have been able to learn, better smallies and walleye than largeM, but they ARE there.

Just north of Maxincuckee are a chain of about 5 small lakes, one (Mill Pond) is shallow and notoriuously lilypad choked, but has a fair reputation for smallish, but abundant largemouth.

Tim.

If I drag my boat down there, what time of year would be a good idea?

I have been told it is a "cultural experience" similar to Lake Geneva, WI, and that matches your description (big money).

I enjoy "slumming" for bass once in a while... reminds me of my childhood!!!!

The idea of a few walleye lurking about with the smallies is fine with me... On a serious note, what do the "localsd" usually do for walleyes? If there are a lot of pleasure boaters the eyes sometimes become elusive during the day and are better targeted at night.

My best estimate would be to come before Memorial Day weekend, perhaps even a couple weeks prior. "sport" boating usually gets rolling about then, and the snowbirds return.

One nice thing about all the high end lake properties is there are a lot of nice piers, boat houses and pontoons providing "structure".

There's another lake about 40 miles east that also is noted for walleye. Lake Webster.

Just outside of Syracuse I think.

If you will keep an eye on www.southbendtribune.com, then "sports", then "columnists" then "louie stout" ..... he keeps a pretty good feel on the pulse around here. I seem to recall him calling out action on Webster often, but not Max.

There is another lake only about 15 -20 miles from Culver to the southeast.. In Rochester IN, Lake Manitoba. I havent been on that one, but hear its closer to Webster for action.

Randy W? any other advice for this neck o the woods? I;m out

Tim is spot on.

One exception is that Webster is also know as a great muskie lake. I have personally caught muskie over 40" while fishing bass tournys there.

As soon in the year as you can get is pretty good for the smallies on Maxi. Like I said you want to target the rocks/boulders. You can usually get some pretty nice ones in some abundance in the spring. I have seen tourny won there with all smallies with weights coming close to 20. Not exactly St Clair but then again not much is either!

Randy!

Parking is a serious issue there. Make sure you get there early to get one of the few spots.

Let me know when you are going Greg...I grew up fishing northern Indiana and have fished Maxincuckee a number of times. There are a lot of good small lakes that get very little traffic and warm up faster than Maxincuckee.

Mill Pond is about 15 Mi north of Culver and only a few hundred yards off the hwy 17 there. Shallow, warms quick, deepest about on 20'. Loads up with lilypads most of summmer, chocked full of small bluegill. There's four other lakes in the chain (one is private); two (Lawrence and Myers) get pretty deep in comparison (50-60) but Lawrence has a wide "plane" that is shallower and better action in early spring as they all come up out of the deep water looking for beds. To get to Myer (from access on Lawrence) you have to go under the road dividing the two, and most V bottom boats drivers dont try it too often.

Lawrence/Myer public access only occassionally is crowded. I have never seen Mill Pond parking "full".

Ahhh...

Let's see; who would like a mid April trip? We have a few guys here that are close and maybe Teri could come up and join us....

My son and I are going to do one "slumming" bass trip; so this is as good as any...LOL

hmmm.. Mid April.. 7 or so weeks away.. Not sure the ice and snow will be gone by then this year.. looking at about a 2ft drift in front of the garage door this AM. extended forecast (two weeks) only has one day at or above seasonal normal. huge sigh.

Greg I have lived here most of my life and I had never heard of It...You can stop by and pick up my boat and take It home with you...28,000 to you with extras

Thanks JR... I'll pick it up and bring it back when I'm done giving her some TLC (for a few yesrs) LOL DOn't I wish!

Well, let's see... If we do a "road trip" in mid April??? Who would be interested? I have been told that I might still have ice on some of my usual Wisconsin lakes for May opener.

The way the weather has been probably have Ice here to..

BTW Mac,

Way back, in the summer of 1959 and 1960, I worked the summers at a resort on Lake of the Ozarks. One of my jobs was as the "Resort Fishing Guide"... I taught more adults how to fish plastic worms for bass those two summers than I can remember. In "those days" we used pre-rigged "Creme" worms, usually black, sometimes a brick collor with a white tail. That and a yellow "lazy Ike" with red and black spots a few gold Mepps spinners were my entire arsenal of baits... LOL

But, like I have said, I fished for bass and crappie (and got paid $10 a morning or afternoon, plus tips. $2 went to the resort owner for a "booking fee") for money before a lot of you were born. I had to cut grass in the evenings for my room and board. But, I was making $50-$80 a week. My mother managed a chain shoe store and made $95 a week! So, I did pretty good for a teenaged kid. I also got to be the "cool boy who worked at the resort" and had my share of week long summer romances.

Then, I grew up and my fishing went North to Minnesota and Wisconsin and I got hooked on fish with teeth.

Latest posts

Back