1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Thoughts Or Discussion About The Z18?

Thread in 'General Discussion' started by Larry Williams, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Larry Williams

Larry Williams Member

I purchased a new Z18, March 2017, as I approach a full year's use, I was just wondering if anyone has anything good bad or otherwise to say about this boat. Mine has performed very well and I've been happy with it. I did have the alternator replaced, under warranty, on the Merc 150 four last month since it developed a current draw on the battery even with everything turned off.

2. Wickedsmaht

Wickedsmaht Member

Still waiting on delivery of mine, but I am happy to hear more about yours - any pics to share?

Chris Walker likes this.
  3. Larry Williams

Larry Williams Member

I'll get a picture or two of mine to post soon. I don't do that a lot so I actually don't have a good one handy.
    I did a package deal with options that I wanted after years of experience boating/ fishing. I had trouble getting local dealers to work with me on making changes. They insist on selling the basic package- I actually drove from Louisiana to Warsaw, MO., Pro's Choice Marine, to get mine. I have it on the tandem trailer and added the Atlas Hydraulic Jack under the 150 Merc. four stroke. I opted for the Fortrex 80 Minn Kota and have been very happy with it after having run the 70 for years on other boats. I also upgraded to the Lowrance Gen III 9" in the dash. I did get the additional console unit. The 150 four has performed excellent for me. I have owned many different boats up to 20' and can say that the Z18 performs beyond its size. It fishes big with plenty of storage- you will love the cooler box and the livewells in the boat. Plenty roomy- both areas. The ride comfort and and handling are excellent. Top speed on the 150 four is just about 60mph and fuel mileage is outstanding- I have about 50 hours run time on mine now. I do use it in saltwater about 4 time a year. Just clean it up and go- no problems- no unusual wear or rust anywhere.

Chris Walker likes this.
  4. Wickedsmaht

Wickedsmaht Member

Very nice! Funny the BPS people here also had some issues with my selections of 150 Four Stroke with the 8" Slidemaster JP, and didn't like the color I wanted either (blackout), which I explained was inspired by the good folk's at Pro's Choice Marine in MO. They wanted to argue that the website did say the JP was not available with the Verado, and I had to argue that the 4s was not a Verado... Eventually I got my way :)

I also Opted for the 80 Ultrex TM, and the Tandem Trailer with upgraded Wheels. For electronics I worked into the deal where they install them when it arrives if I buy them through BPS, so I got the new Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv (Console & Bow) with a Ps21 Panoptix transducer for the TM shaft. Threw in the Hydrowave too which I have no experience with whatsoever yet.

What did you go with for a Prop and where did they set your Prop 2 Pad? I went with the 23p Tempest versus the standard SS prop which I believe was a 24p. Not positive on the P2P setting just yet for this configuration, but a few people on a different forum have suggested 2.5" below pad to start. At least I can adjust it as needed.

5. Larry Williams

Larry Williams Member

The Ultrex- I've been looking at it. I didn't like the older electric motor steering due to the noise and the delayed response- or should I say slow response. We have to dodge a lot of stumps here in my world. How does the Ultrex operate compared to the standard cable steering? How responsive is Ultrex to needed quick changes in direction? That spot lock feature must be great. If it weren't for that, I'd be totally happy with mine. Props- I went with the standard SS prop and have found no real advantage in a normal range of prop height. There really doesn't seem to be particular sweet spot on height. I watch my water pressure and try to run as shallow as possible most of the time. I run and fish areas that can have long stretches in canals that are not more than 4.5 deep. For years I have run the SE300 hydrofoil device that bolts directly to the cavitation plate above the prop. I added one to the Z18 and love it. Two things it does are invaluable to me. one, fully loaded with partner and gear water and fuel, can easily get out of the hole on plane with less than 3000 RPM. Two, stay on plane at much lower speeds. There is just no downside for me on the unit. Ran the same unit on a 20' Stratos, 200hp for years with the same result. There are plenty of naysayers about this but I have to live with my own results. ha.

6. Wickedsmaht

Wickedsmaht Member

I don't ever say never, so I'll store that nugget of experienced information about the hydrofoil - thank you for that. As for the Ultrex, I expect a short learning curve in regards to how it handles and the "ramp up" time I hear it has but I usually catch on pretty quick to new things pretty quick. The spot-lock is going to be amazing I am sure. It may take me longer to master the use of side-imaging and forward imaging with the new Garmin units. I've only worked with traditional down scanning so lots of new things to master this next fishing season.