Any new Pike/Walleye lures I should try for Canada Lunkers??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Tex and I (and my Father-in-law and his 2 boys) are heading late August 200 miles north of Lake of the Woods for a flyin week of Pike and 'Eye fishing. For 10 years we've been getting the 'eyes primarily on jigs tiped with leach/worm/minnow/plastic grub, and the pike primarily with weedless spoons (except for that 10lb Pike that ate my 1/8 oz jib 6 years ago!!!).

But especialy on Walleyes we almost NEVER get any big ones. We've tried trolling deep diving cranks, rock walkers and such. Any one have any ideas (Going to BPS in 2 weeks) on what to target the bigones with? I know when we find a school of 1-2 lbers we move on looking for bigger ones. But should I think 6 inch grubs instead of 2-3 inch?

Same with Pike. We get 90% with spoons, as we're typicaly fishing inthe weed coves or along the edges/tops of weeds. We've caught a few with rattle traps, spinner baits and LOVE watching them TRY to eat a buzzbait, but again sameold same old.

I'm thinking of shrinking my canada tackle down (due to weight restrictions on the fly in) and if its only jigs, a few crankbaits and spoons, then so be it. But i'd LOVE to catch some HUGE walleyes like Tee and others do on Erie while up there.

Oh, and due to a screwup with Northwest, Tex and I will be fishing part of Lake of the Woods on Saturday afternoon on Sep 3rd, so any northern Smallie tips would work too!!

Latest posts

Back