antifreeze in outboard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg hall

Reaction score
does anybody run antifreeze through there out board before freezing temps or let all water drain out?

You should tilt DOWN the lower unit before it freezes. This will let the water drain out. You can then tilt it back up.

Antifreeze is a bad idea as you need the correct ratios of water/antifreeze otherwise you get little (if any) protection.

Boat shops up here run RV type anti-freeze through the motor when winterizing. I'm not sure where you got your info Mike, but RV anti-freeze protects to -50F at full strength without mixing. The coldest actual temp that I know of in VT since I have been here is -55F that was in the northest part of the state. The coldest temp that I have been frozen in is -30F. Now if you add in wind chill....it's still freakin' cold!!

Bob G.

Before it got down to 31 the other night -- used some of the RV in the Live wells / bait wells-----

Hope to take the boat out some more this year .. Was going out Sunday but now they are talking rain storms -- Maybe hit the covered dock for some crappie.

Good Luck

HaleDamage

Hale,

In the 70's here tomorrow!! Will be our last hurrah for the season it looks like too!!!!

No way CIII!!! You get ready to fish throught Christmas Marine!! I'm not gonna let you hang the poles up that early!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back