Ain't your daddy's Johnny Morris Baby!

• Thread starter Kevin Izzi [URL]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Izzi

Reaction score
About three years ago I settled on Core and G.Loomis as my gear of choice and was set in my ways or I thought. Ok, so it was time to pick my rod and reel combos for the 2009 season. So I looked over the BPS products and went with the Johnny Morris Elite Series Combos (the blue not the gold). I took one on the road with me and figured I would toss it a few times to see how it performed. I always want to be able to give honest and sound advice to customers when I'm in the store doing demos and the such. Well I soon found myself using it all the time and couldn't wait to getback home and get the others as well. These combos are really amazing. The reels are smooth and the rods are sensitive yet durable enough for the toughest angler.I fished Lake Erie with them and was running a Rapala DT 10 crank for three days straight and slammed some awesome smallies and only lost one and that was because my 8lb line broke on the rocks. Usally I can find something I don't like about a factory combo set-up not this one even the balance is spot on!

If you haven't tried these combos yet you should and I am sure you will be convinced for the price you have found a solid set up to take out on the water with confidence!!! If you do let me know your thoughts on it.

The Dragon
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_98151_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1

Yes, they are the bomb!! I've been using the JLM rods and reels for years,..and the Elite's are by far, the best one's BPS has ever produced. The Gold ones are even SWEETER!!...I have 2 of those, and they're both still in their boxes!!

Also...for the money, you cannot beat a Clunn reel either......every bit as smooth and reliable as the JLM's.

They just need to make that gold in lefty :)

I am a fan of JLM rods and reels too. The rods arent the best of th ebest, but they are damn near there. The reels are by far the best that BPS has produced in the 10+ years I have been with them. the spinning reels are also pretty darn good!

I am also a big fan of the proQ rods. The baitcasters arent available in LH yet, and I have had porbs with the spinning reels but have been told by corporate that the problems have been addressed.

I have one gold and love it. 40 percent off is a huge incentive to buy BPS. But Mac reels aren't like guns New in Box doesn't add to resale value. Use the sucker.

Mike

fatrap

The JLM reels are all very nice tools, but the Pro Qualifier rods are severely underrated. That's the best rod in the BPS arsenal. IMHO ;)

'Rap,.......I have puuulllenty of reels to use, trust me!.....nuttin' wrong with keepin' a "looker" on hand....LOL (and if/when I ever need a spare,.....I know where it is!!);)

My JLM's are my go to reels. Like Mac, I keep "Goldy" just to look at!!:lol: Since I am sponsored by Castaway as well I have a couple of their top end rods and they are great but pricey for the average joe. The thing about the Castaway rods is that they are as tough as they come. You pay a little more upfront but they last like iron. 95% of my equipment is Pro-Q, JLM, and Rick Clunn. BPS has a great rod and reel line overall. On Edit....Glenn pulled apart one of my JLM's and he was very impressed with the innerds!!:lol: And we all know how hard it is to impress Glenn..:p

TOXIC

Slight hijack as I use Quantum reels. I like the JLM's but the Quantums seem to "fit" my hands better.

But, I really do like the JLM rods. They are a bit on the heavy side, but they are almost bullet proof! They can take my abuse, the bouncing abuse and keep on going! I keep an eye out for them used as they are a bit pricey new.....that and a little help from my friends!

Frankly, I don't know how you guys afford the JLMs and similar. I must be in the wrong business!:(

I bought my first JLM elite (blue one) last winter and just finished it's first fishing 'season'...could not be more impressed!

As for how to afford them?

As I recall...it was on sale....and it was the spring spectacular and it was marked down even more....and I brought it a 'trade-in' reel and got even more off....

takes a bit of planning, but you can get them for a decent price...

az

JLM Baitcasters and Spinning reels are on sale right now online (and prob in the store too) to make room for the new and improved models.

I see they are making the Gold in a lefty :) (along with ProQ and the new RCX)

I am pretty happy right now :) (or well I will be once I place my 2010 order!!!)

Latest posts

Back