Ahhh... the "joys" of owning a boat...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've been waiting for all the "pieces" to show up. Well, they are 90% here, and I was at a "go" point yesterday - so I started my 36v install.

To back up one day - When I was disconnecting the old batteries to go get new ones, I found out that one of my fuse holders on the Guest charger currently in my boat had got some battery acid on it and had disintegrated. I had not noticed it because it was tucked under a strap on the battery, where I guess some battery acid had pooled up at one point in time. The amazing part is - the connections were still made, and my batteries had still been charging. The minute I touched it though - it fell apart. Note to self - find new waterproof fuse holder this week and replace that.

I was into the install approximately 10 seconds when the first (install) problem reared it's head. :( The battery trays that I ordered were noted as being "about 15 x 16". I was nervous about them fitting, as I have a 15" x 18" spot. Well.... actual size is 15 1/2" x 15 1/2". Measured them three times, shaking my head every time. :(:(:( But I'm no quitter! :lol: So, I made some calculations and figured out that if the trays were a bit higher off the deck (as the walls on each side angle slighly outward), that they would fit. Off to Lowes to find "something" (didn't know what that would be). Found it! Timbertec decking material (plastic wood). 1 1/4" thick. Won't rot, chemical resistant, tough. Perfect. I cut six 15" pieces, screwed 3 of them into the floor of my boat with stainless screws (countersunk), then the other three on top of those (Double stacked - 2 1/2" in height overall). I put the tray on top... double checked battery height... Bingo! We have a winner. :):):)

But wait! What is this little plastic piece laying in the bilge? It wasn't there a couple of minutes ago. It looks like a lever. Yep. Found where that little lever went - my 50 amp manual reset circuit breaker! Dang it! I must have bumped it when I was either installing the decking material or the tray. Yet another thing I have to buy now.

Dropped the batteries into the trays and grabbed the aluminum top piece to secure them in place... Oh-oh.... Another problem. Trojan batteries have a double post on each side (4 places to attach connections). The trays were "almost" touching the outer part of the double post. I can't risk that. If the batteries or tray were to shift in rough water, I don't need sparking and shorted batteries in a place that contains a fuel tank a short distance away. Actually... I don't need sparking at all. :lol: So the tray tops came out, and so did my Dremel and Bench Grinder. 2 hours later, I had "fixed" one of the two trays, and was covered in metal shavings. I filed the new edges smooth with a hand file, rounded all corners off, and broke out one of my favorite boat maintenance tools - Mercury Phantom Black paint (gotta keep that corrosion off of anything metal, right? :cool: ). I gave it a good coat, and then put everything away for the night.

I'm not looking forward to doing the other tray today, but at least it's only one side of the double tray. The other side will have my cranking battery in it, and it's not the same post configuration.

Ahhh... the "joys" of owning a boat. I wouldn't trade the hard work for anything though. I love owning a bass boat, even with all the headaches associated with it sometimes. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Ahhhhh.... an all too familiar "theme"... Have fun, you will be happy after all is said and done...;)

I think I'm having flashbacks of some sort!!!

Yeah, know what you mean. Hang in there, for you are doing the correct thing putting them in.

Tex

flashbacks for sure.. recarpeted this winter, many many similar circumstances

The best part-

Ahhh... the "joys" of owning a boat. I wouldn't trade the hard work for anything though. I love owning a bass boat, even with all the headaches associated with it sometimes.

Aint it the truth !

Its like riding a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle-"If I have to explain it, you'd never understand" !

Its like riding a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle

Conversation:

1st person: Hey, what's that little puddle underneath your Harley?

2nd person: What?

1st person: Looks like oil.

2nd person: My Harley does not leak oil.

1st person: Looks like it's leaking oil to me...

2nd person: That's not leaking oil... that's marking it's territory.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I have had 3 Harleys, a 92 fat boy, a 95 ultra classic and an 04 ultra classic. Ove 150,000 miles on the 3 and not 1 leak, of any kind.

Since 97 Ive owned 4 boats. And they all have leaked something !!

Seriously, H-D cured the leaking oil problem in 91 with a new design motor.

Now, if I could just figure a way to the boat with the bike.........................?????????????

Id never be home !

But I still agree with Glenn. In either case, bike or boat, anything they need, they get !!

Sorry my post caused you all these headaches!

boats are supposed to leak on land....

Teri... :lol::lol::lol: No problems at all. Actually, your original post caused me to upgrade my battery trays (which were needed), find a broken wire (that would have bit me in the you-know-what later on one day when it was important - like the night before a tournament), upgrade to a stronger motor (for some reason, the wind always seems to be very strong on every lake I've fished in TX), and clean out my bilge a bit better (simply because I'm anal retentive like that :lol: ).

So your post didn't cause me headaches - it probably saved me future grief. So... I guess I owe you a "Thanks!". :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

As you are finding, the wind always blows here in Texas. The only time it won't, is when it's a bluebird day in July/August, and around 100 degrees. Then it will be calm!

Tex

Ain't that a great thing; tinkering with the boat. It's a never ending process. It seema to me that when I'm done tinkering, it's time for a new one. Playing, rigging, modifying our toys is half the fun of using them! :D

Latest posts

Back