Aftermarket On-Board battery charger location

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a '98 NX882, and I've been wanting to put an onboard battery charger in since we bought the thing a couple years ago :)

I finally picked one up, and wanted opinions on placement. they make all sorts of safety hoopla over keeping it away from the batteries and such - but the rear compartment seems to be the only place it will go. Any issues with putting it right here in the middle of the 3 batteries?

Also, what is the suggested way of extending the power cord? I want to put a socket in the console that takes bare wires - and the cord on my unit isn't long enough. Should I get a pigtail extension and plug them together, or cut the cord and splice in the extra length (with shrink tubing)?

Thanks!~

Attachments

• IMG_20140629_144431_854.jpg
    IMG_20140629_144431_854.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 846
I have mine located in the battery compartment but it is mounted on the side and not down where the batteries are. The mounting position is above the bilge but my is in a fiberglass boat with more room than you have showing in the picture.

I don't see anything wrong with your location but I wouldn't cut the power cord. Myself, I leave the cord inside then when ready to charge, I hang the end out of the bilge lid and plug it into my heavy duty outdoor extension cord.

Chris, I agree with Airforce I wouldn't cut the power cord. I do exactly as Airforce stated. I just open up the back compartment and plug into a receptacle or a extension cord. I can back in my shop and get close enough to reach a receptacle and when I'm else where I use a Extension cord that I keep in the boat. I do keep the back compartment open at least a couple inches while charging the batteries for air flow. I keep the plug in the handle of a plastic box I have for a few extras I use just to keep the plug from bouncing around in the back compartment when pulling down the road. :)

I also agree to not cut the charger cord. I went a step further when I installed my Minnkota on-board charger MK330D on my new rig. Minnkota makes a receptacle that accepts charger plugs without needing to alter the cord. I did this basically because my charger is mounted in a storage compartment under my custom front deck that also houses the trolling batteries. I store other valuables in there that I wanted to keep locked up as well.
http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/418926/AC_Power_Ports

My prior boat, Tracker Targa 17, had a Guest 2631A on-board charger mounted under the rear deck that I had a similar receptacle for, made by Marinco. Also no cord cutting required.
http://greatlakesskipper.com/tracke...st-black-boat-front-rear-mount-connect-charge

For what "quality" chargers cost, I'm not cutting any factory cord and creating a future headache "down the road". I would imagine there are no-cut receptacles available for other major brands as well. Those are just the two I have personal knowledge of/experience with....

Reactions: cq
Thanks all for the comments. I decided not to cut the cord, but I did mount a Male receptacle in the console with an extension cord coming out the back - I'm going to run that inside the channel with the rest of the wiring. Then I can pull my extension cord from the ceiling directly down to the console and plug it directly in :)

Was a pain to cut the hole for the plug though. It needed a 1 7/8ths hole, and I could only find an 1 3/4.... lots of filing :) Looks good though. Thanks again all.

Latest posts

Back