Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Okay, so here goes. I'm fairly new to this site, but what I've seen so far has been very impressive, especially the knowledge and advice shared on the boards. And thats exactly what I'm looking to get; some good advice. For about the past 5 years my partner and I have taken part in numerous buddy tournaments around the metro Detroit area. Unfortunatley, my partner and great friend will be unable to take part in these with me next year due to some unexpected family obligations that should be popping out early next summer (twins), they can't handle to 2 they already have. Anyhow, what I'm getting at is I need the tournaments, I have a competitive fire in me that won't go away. I'm considering joining one of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Federation organizations, just to see how far I can go with my hobby, and to learn some new tricks. Should I sign up my first year as a non-boater just to learn how things work, or should I dive right in with my TV18 and 150 hp Merc.? I don't have any crazy thoughts of being the next KVD but I think I can hold my own. Is there a better way to fish your way up the ladder? Any Michigan Federation guys here with some good advice..?

Welcome aboard Smitty,...you'll love this site!! Mini and I fish the MBCF circuit (he does more than me, but I have fished them a few years ago,...now I do the Greater North Tournament Trail and the MBCF State Championship)but my advice to you would be two fold....first,...join a club that also is affiliated with the Federation...fish those tournaments as a "boater", where you can hone your boating skills as well as your fish locating skills....you'll make GREAT friends and you'll learn alot even if you're only fishing with and against 15-20 other people. THEN,..after you've done the club thing,...or even while you're active in the club,..THEN I'd fish with the MBCF as a "non-boater" for the first year...You will learn even more, and you'll get a taste of what it's like to fish BIG water in much bigger tournaments...believe me, there's a HUGE difference between anglers in the Federation and those in Clubs....the Federation guys are much more serious and they take a lot more risks, involving longer runs....fishing harder for shorter periods of time and moving around a lot....there's a lot more strategy involved in fishing BIG water, than you'll experience fishing the inland lakes that clubs usually prefer. You're much better off to get a taste of the big leagues by being a "rider" and asking a lot of questions,...learning and watching and spending more time actually "fishing" than trying to deal with boat control, huge waves and all the other "distractions" that usually happen when you're the "boater". I would fish a club as a "Boater",...and fish the first year in the MBCF as a "rider"....the GNT trail that Mini and I fish is a TEAM trail, so we each have partners that we fish with,...but that would be a good alternative to the MBCF also...you'll get to fish bigger water,..as a boater,....with a buddy that you're comfortable with and you'll get the best of both worlds!!...There's a lot of options available, so this winter, at the boat and fishing shows....spend some time talking to LOTS of people and get as much input as possible and then make a decision.....but the Greater North Trail is REALLY cool.....good water (St.Clair, Saginaw Bay, Erie,..and in 2003,..Sandusky Bay too)...PLUS it's a great family atmosphere and with out a doubt,..it's the best trail going in SE Michigan. Feel free to email me or Mini anytime and we'll help you get started in the right direction. We're both on the Pro-Staff at the BPS store too, so we'll be doing seminars this winter and during the Spring Classics.....lot's of ideas and tips on what to do and what to use in our home water....you'll learn A LOT!!

Hope to see you there,...again..feel free to contact either of us and we'll be glad to help. Regards..

Mac

How far do you want to take it? I fished Everstart this year, (www.everstartseries.com) and learned more in four months than I learned in all my combined years of fishing experience. I did co-angler (non boater) side, which has its pros and cons. Pro - less money, learn from some top notch guys, a bit less competitive field -- cons- it ain't your boat, presentation, first shot at the water, and travel.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

David

Smitty,

It was a pleasure meeting you the other day at BPS's Service Center. As Mac said, the Federation Clubs are the best way to test the waters of tournament fishing. I dodnt do it and wasted many hours and dollars trying to figure things out on my own.....

Also look at one of the Greater North Weekday Series.....this past year there were Tuesday nights on Clair, Wed. on Orion and Thursday on Erie.

Check out:

www.gntfish.com

www.michiganbass.org

www.lakestclair.net

Mini

Thanks fellas, appreciate all your help. I should be passin through the store this weekend, takin my girls clothes shoppin. Course I'll be wandering the store too...

Mac and Mini -

When you say "Federation", are you referring to BASS?

If not, who are you referring to and do they have a web address?

Thanks!

me!

Yeah,..we're talking about the Michigan BASS Chapter Federation,...same thing as your Missouri Federation.

Latest posts

Back