A Problem With My Piranha Fishfinder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
I have completed the two hour break in routine for my new PT 175 w/ the Mercury 50 ELPTO. I need to finish burning the tank of oil enriched fuel. What a beautiful boat! I couldn't believe how fast 38 MPH could feel. Everything seems to work really well, except the Humminbird Piranha 2 Fishfinder.

When I power on and select "Start Up," I get no bottom contour reading display, no fish icons. The unit indicates "transducer connected" most of the time, although sometimes it says "transducer not connected." There is a zero at the top of the display, with a line, and a number at the lower right corner, depending on the depth range I've selected (generally auto). I've played with the menu options, wiped off the transom mounted transducer, and checked the wiring and connections. But nothing seems to work, except for one brief period when I was approaching a shore in shallow water and suddenly I got a bottom contour at 400 feet with lots of phantom fish.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

call your dealer and let him know about it in case it is covered by warranty. sounds like a bad transducer cable connection or internal break in the cable or bad transducer. also, might check location of transducer to be sure it is installed in a good location. email humminbird customer service.

Back