93 Nitro 170TF/115 Johnson Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winn Hammond

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and I bought this boat/motor combination 2 months ago and need some help. I noticed that Mike Snow listed this boat/motor combo...Mike are you still out there? If so, let me know and I will ask some questions about the set-up.

Thanks,

Winn Hammond

Message was edited by Winn on 10/1/2003 at 22:42 ET

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by fatrap, 10/2/2003 09:07 ET

I have a 93 170 DC with a 90 almost the same thing can I help?

fatrap

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by me!, 10/2/2003 10:46 ET

My first Nitro was a 1995 180DC/115 Merc if I can be of any assistance.

Post your questions - you'd be surprized how much knowledge is on this board and there are likely others lurking who have the same questions.....

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by John, 10/2/2003 17:34 ET

I have a '92 170TF w/115 Evinrude. Post your questions.

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by Winn, 10/2/2003 21:52 ET

Thanks for your replies. The problems I have been having are as follows:

1. I have been having a lean sneeze while cranking and at idle. I took it to a repair shop that only works on OMC products, I have used this guy for years with no problems, and he rebuilt the carb, installed a new VRO, tune-up, decarb, water pump, gas filter, drained the gas tank to clean out water and sludge, etc. Took it to the lake the next weekend and it still sneezes. Took it back to the repairman and he adjusts the timing and increases the idle speed. Back to the lake I go only to find that I still have the same problem. Back to the repairman I go and I suggest that he check the reed valves and recir valves. At this time I asked him to put the prop in a barrel of water and run the motor. He did and the motor starts over and over without sneezing and purrs like a kitten...for about 30 minutes. He noticed the scum line on the boat and motor and observed that the two small exaust holes just below the motor cover is below the water line when I have the motor trimmed down. He also notices that the scum line is all the way up to the rubber bumper trim on the rear portion of the boat. Now he tells me that the rear of the boat is setting too low in the water when I'm at idle and I need to move everything I can, batteries included, to the front of the boat to make it set correctly in the water when at idle. He also told me to trim the motor up to get those exaust holes out of the water before I start the motor. O.K. so back to the lake I go and trimming the motor up seems to help the sneezing(the jury is still out on that)but I have to trim so high that the trim meter is all the way up. Any way, If I trim up as instructed and after I start moving, trim all the way down the boat will go and plane out. Of course I trim up as the boat plans out and everything is fine. Now my Question:

A. Is this normal for this boat/motor combination?

B. Does everyone's boat/motor set that low in the water in the back when you are not moving?

C. Do you have to trim your motor up to get the exaust holes out of the water before you can start your motor?

2. What prop should I be running on this motor?

3. What height should the motor be mounted on the boat?

4. Do I need a jack plate to correct my problems?

5. I had to install a hydro foil (whales tale)to make the boat plane out before the sun set on the horizon. Do you have to use this devise?

I know thats a lot of questions but I've been 2 months on the lake getting to this point. If anyone has the answer to some of these questions I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

WInn

Winn, do you know what your motor height is? If not and not sure how to check, do a SEARCH, enter "motor height", check "messages and title", "all posts" and you will find that it has been discussed and explained. Then you can check your boat. Hope this helps. It does sound like the motor is awful low, if the water line is up to the rubber seal. Check that and repost.

"the scum line is all the way up to the rubber bumper trim on the rear portion of the boat"....

Winn, I hate to say this..... But that sounds bad.... Very bad..... Like maybe your hull could be waterlogged.....

If so, moving everything to the front might help the low-sitting problem, but not the real problem - a weak and potentially very dangerous hull.

Instead of a mechanic, take your boat to someone who does work on hulls, Let them inspect it. They'll be able to tell you in a few moments if there is a problem.....

I hope not.

Did you just buy the boat?

me

Hey me!, glad everythiing turned out well for you and that you are on the road to recovery.

Winn, I was reading so fast that I missed "the rubber trim on the BOAT", I thought you meant the rubber gasket between the hood and the engine. I agree with me! you may have serious problems. I hope not. Of course you cannot see any water in the bilge area, correct?

FatRap has got one with a 90 on it, maybe he will let you know were his sits. Good luck.

Winn, I have the 92 TF170 with a 115. Mine sits low in the rear as well, but not that low. I have about 6 inches below the rubber. I put a hyrofoil on mine and it helps with getting on plane. Takes me about 8-10 secs with full load and partner. Good luck.

John

Thanks guys, I will repost more questions.

Winn
I'm new to this site and I bought this boat/motor combination 2 months ago and need some help. I noticed that Mike Snow listed this boat/motor combo...Mike are you still out there? If so, let me know and I will ask some questions about the set-up.

Thanks,

Winn Hammond

Message was edited by Winn on 10/1/2003 at 22:42 ET

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by fatrap, 10/2/2003 09:07 ET

I have a 93 170 DC with a 90 almost the same thing can I help?

fatrap

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by me!, 10/2/2003 10:46 ET

My first Nitro was a 1995 180DC/115 Merc if I can be of any assistance.

Post your questions - you'd be surprized how much knowledge is on this board and there are likely others lurking who have the same questions.....

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by John, 10/2/2003 17:34 ET

I have a '92 170TF w/115 Evinrude. Post your questions.

re: Does Anyone Have A '93 Nitro170TF/115 Johnson? by Winn, 10/2/2003 21:52 ET

Thanks for your replies. The problems I have been having are as follows:

1. I have been having a lean sneeze while cranking and at idle. I took it to a repair shop that only works on OMC products, I have used this guy for years with no problems, and he rebuilt the carb, installed a new VRO, tune-up, decarb, water pump, gas filter, drained the gas tank to clean out water and sludge, etc. Took it to the lake the next weekend and it still sneezes. Took it back to the repairman and he adjusts the timing and increases the idle speed. Back to the lake I go only to find that I still have the same problem. Back to the repairman I go and I suggest that he check the reed valves and recir valves. At this time I asked him to put the prop in a barrel of water and run the motor. He did and the motor starts over and over without sneezing and purrs like a kitten...for about 30 minutes. He noticed the scum line on the boat and motor and observed that the two small exaust holes just below the motor cover is below the water line when I have the motor trimmed down. He also notices that the scum line is all the way up to the rubber bumper trim on the rear portion of the boat. Now he tells me that the rear of the boat is setting too low in the water when I'm at idle and I need to move everything I can, batteries included, to the front of the boat to make it set correctly in the water when at idle. He also told me to trim the motor up to get those exaust holes out of the water before I start the motor. O.K. so back to the lake I go and trimming the motor up seems to help the sneezing(the jury is still out on that)but I have to trim so high that the trim meter is all the way up. Any way, If I trim up as instructed and after I start moving, trim all the way down the boat will go and plane out. Of course I trim up as the boat plans out and everything is fine. Now my Question:

A. Is this normal for this boat/motor combination?

B. Does everyone's boat/motor set that low in the water in the back when you are not moving?

C. Do you have to trim your motor up to get the exaust holes out of the water before you can start your motor?

2. What prop should I be running on this motor?

3. What height should the motor be mounted on the boat?

4. Do I need a jack plate to correct my problems?

5. I had to install a hydro foil (whales tale)to make the boat plane out before the sun set on the horizon. Do you have to use this devise?

I know thats a lot of questions but I've been 2 months on the lake getting to this point. If anyone has the answer to some of these questions I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

WInn

Latest posts

Back