912 Nitro Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Nitro

Reaction score
How did the 912 Nitro handle rough water? Did it beat you as it hit the waves or was it a soft smooth ride?

The 912 is actually a pretty good rough water boat. Not the best but certainly not teh worst.

Please remember that 88.6% of a bad ride in rough water depends on the driver! I dont care what kind of boat it is, with the wrong (or right) person behind the wheel the ride can be devestating (or good)....

I think the ride depends on getting on top of the rough water, something I need practice with. Undoubtedly, there is a "mental" factor in determining how comfortable one is in that situation, and like anything else, confidence is built with experience. Having said that, I believe that, all things being equal, a longer(heavier) platform will perform better than a shorter one. (i.e., a 22' Ranger as opposed to a 20' Bullet) When I fish with my buddy, we fish out of his 21' Bullet; incredibly smooth, but he also has 40+ years experience running boats.

Just to echo Mini, the 912 is a good long hull, but it doesn't replace good boating skills. Reading the water, running the troughs, and crossing the peaks at 60-ish degree angle (NEVER head on "T" any sizable crest), will keep you fairly dry, with your spine intact, and rarely peeing blood. :eek: :D It has a great layout and drafts shallow for its size. Good luck! ;)

Would you trim down and cut through the waves or trim up and stay on top of the waves?

Dallas,

That depends entirely on the situation! I thouroughly enjoy getting on top of them and running them hard BUT (note BIG letters!!) there are times when doing that you leave yourself open to hitting HARD! Plus the stress your hull and transom will take may exceed its capabilities....

I run ROUGH water ALOT. More than I like to, but my home lake is possibly the roughest water you will find. And its not from wind everyday....somedays its wind, some days its boat traffic.

You will really need to find your own comfort level. But whatever you do, make sure you have all of your safety equipment on (jacket, kill switch, etc). I know of too many people that have been ejected from a bass boat trying to push it. Hasnt happened to me (I weigh too much...lol) but I have broken quite a few boats. In retrospect if you are using a free boat, and you arent fishing for the Bassmaster Classic or a Million in cash....slow down. Life is too short and missing out on a couple of hundred dollars because you were late for weigh-in is ok. Breaking your boat or injuring yourself or your passanger(s) is not ok. Its just not worth it!

Back