911!!! I need help!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirob30

Reaction score
Optimax '06 115, I squeeze the primer ball and fuel is running out of the over flow hose at the bottom of the motor. I can hear fuel gurgling in the motor as I pump the ball but it goes right out onto the ground. I just bought this boat from a guy that said he had it winterized and hasnt started it since. Is this a part of that procethat needs to be reversed? Thanks

Attachments

• 1379854368355.jpg
    1379854368355.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
Pull the cowling off and check the fuel line connection. It sounds like the line was removed and pump drained during winterization. Take off cowling and add a pic of what you see. Good luck! ;)

All lines seem to be connected. I drained the fuel from the fuel filter and it was a really dark yellow almost orange color. Fuel doesn't come out of the bottom of the cowl now however the motor just turs over and will not start. I also dont hear the fuel pump engage

Attachments

• 1379866178713.jpg
    1379866178713.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 216
  • 1379866297750.jpg
    1379866297750.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 209
Kill switch flipped up to "run" at shift control? Did you see the motor run before purchase? If so, we can try and narrow it down. If not, there are a pile of reasons why it's not running and you really should consult a local Mercury technician. We will try and help remotely as best we can. Good luck! ;)

Another possibility. My 2007 Merc 90 four stroke had a similar problem (fuel coming out the bottom of the cowling, obviously leaking somewhere under the hood. There was a tech bulletin for a deterioriating fuel hose. A Merc dealer fixed it at no charge. Since yours is near the same age, I'm guessing you've got the same issue.

Thanks Dan and rbstern. I had it on the water yesterday and it started on the trailer. Idled (rough) but was a hard start. I idled out of the no wake zone and when I went to throttle up she died. I actually had to use the trolling motor to get bak to th trailer. This morning I put it on the hose and notice that when I started it or even pumped the ball there was a steady stream of fuel that came from the whole located at the bottom left side of the motor

I recharged my battery, and drained the fuel from the fuel filter and not sure if I messed up or not but released the fuel from little air nipples on the back of the motor. Since that time I dont seem hear the fuel pump prime and the motor just cranks but wont start.

The inner lining of your fuel lines are deteriorating! Ethanol is causing it. You need to replace the fuel lines from tank to motor and you probably need a new bulb. All you are doing by running it is getting that junk into the motor. Replace all the lines and if you are lucky, you will not need to rebuild a fuel pump.

Here is some good reading for you! http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-...ad-here-upgrade-fuel-supply-system-first.html

RH

From what you've described I'd say replacing your fuel lines would be a great start at a minimum, but I'm willing to bet your fuel pump, injectors, fuel rails, and most related components are gummed or clogged up from the aforementioned ethanol breakdown and/or other fuel system trash. An Optimax is a different breed apart from your standard EFI/carbed two stroke and really should be diagnosed, treated, and repaired by an Optimax certified tech. Randomly plugging and chugging on your own can easily increase your eventual repair bill. At this point and from your descriptions I recommend taking it to a certified Opti tech. Good luck! ;)

Sounds like a great idea and a common sense approach. Thanks for all of your feedback and I will let you know the outcome

Latest posts

Back