898 performance AWESOME!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lively

Reaction score
It,s Awesome!

Fished a tournament this weekend and boat did great, still need to do something adout the prop I guess. Had a full load about, a partner, 20 rods, all my tackle (150+ lbs. tackle) 3/4 tank gas, 30 gallons of livewell water,(not many fish but lots of water), anchor, and other minor stuff you take w/you. Still running the 25 pitch Tempest plus w/all the plugs in on 225 hp efi. Hole shot with this load is super, better than my 901 empty, and better than any my other boats as far as I can remember, planes in 3-4 seconds w/load. Top speed 70 gps, top rpm's ??? 5800+ rev.limiter warning still goes off have to tuck the motor a little to bring rpm's down and speed down to 68-69.

Would like to raise the motor a little but can't afford to rpm's already to high. Motor is mounted on slide master jack plate and it is 25 3/4" from bottom center of pad to bottom of motor brackets. Water pressure 25 lbs at full tilt wot. Boat is steady at wot full tilt, no chine walk, nothing. I would like this engine to turn about 5600 rpm w/full load. I've been told it will loosen up even more when it gets fully broke in. How many rpm's will you gain if you move the motor up 1/4"?, 1/2"?

I've been told that if I go to a 27 pitch I will lose about 300-400 rpms and some hole shot. KENNY

Glad to hear that your new rig is operating well.

Fished out of a Nitro 929 with a 250 EFI on the back this weekend. Man, that thing really flies, but the ride in the open side of the boat, I really don't like. His boat, his choice though.

Tex

Glad to hear that, Kenny! I can't wait to see your new rig. I have to drop my boat off at AllStar Electronics this morning, but as soon as I pick it up I'm heading for BPS and working a deal on a new 898!

Adam,

You will absolutely love the 898. can't find any thing wrong with the way it performs and it fishes super, deck is huge, along with the storage. I put a 48 qt igloo ice chest in back where oil resevoir is and put stuff in it. rain suit, extra rope, tool bag, extra troll prop, etc. just mades that much more dry storage. I will post pictures soon. And I'll see you, Adam, at Fork in 2 weeks.

If your getting a 200 hp I think the 25 pitch will be great,

I'll let you know how the 27 does. I've got to do some thing to get the rpms down, and I don't want to lower the engine.

The 898 has bolt on console. why doesn't someone invent a removable console for the passenger?

I thought about some nice trimed out slots on the inside of the boat and at the back end of the rod box. The console would have some metal tabs with a threaded hole in it that slid down in the slots, you could then tighten it up w/a big hand bolt, something similar to the big hand bolt you use to tighten tension on hand control trolling motors. Should only weigh about 30 lbs and could be taken in or out when ever you wanted to.

Latest posts

Back