89 Nitro fish and ski

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Smith2

Reaction score
I am looking at a 89 Nitro fish and ski. I currently own a 79 Hydra-Sport 158v and am looking to go to a bigger and more versatile boat. Does anyone have any feedback on the 89 models as I have never dealt with them. They are asking only 1200 for the boat with a Johnson 100hp v-4 and trailer which seems very cheap to me. Thanks.
boat and quad 024.JPG

That looks like a steal at $1200, although I do not see a trolling motor ($$) or depthfinder ($$). Not sure the max hp for that model year, but it may be under powered with 100hp.

I'll say again, however. That looks like steal at $1200. I could have bought 6 of those for what I paid for my 1999.... :angry:

It will run nicely with the 100. Id try to get a test ride before purchase as the motor will be your biggest concern. The fit and finish on these early model Teacker built Nitros are a bit rough but nothing too terrible just check things like the pumps,aerators and such. This boat was excellent to ski behind but was pleasant enough to fish from occasionally. If you're going to be using it more for fishing its still a steal for that price but the limited deck upfront will be dissappointing after a while as will the small back deck. If all the switches appear to turn on what they are suppose to and it runs fine then I say go for it.

@DanfromWindsor, I feel like my 115 is trimmed too high when it's making a big rooster tail like in that video. This is my first outboard motor, but is it bad to spray a big rooster tail like that? Should I let it do that? Should I trim it back down when I just want to cruise at say 30 or so?

Personally I always judged how things were running when I trimmed up by speed,rpm's and water pressure. If Im at the top speed and trimming up makes it slower then I leave it down. As long as my water and rpm's are in good ranges I never paid no attention to rooster tails. While my experience is limited to a handful of boats,I have noticed that different boats (hulls) have different rooster tails. It seems the older boats have larger tails than the newer wider boats. Jm2c

Thanks for the replies. I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. I'm taking some tools and such to run compression tests and do a good check over. I am moving up from a 79 Hydra-Sport 158V that I love so the front deck will be bigger and the back deck around the same. I am just wanting to get a bit newer and more versatile with the dual purpose of the boat. I have the locators and trolling motor already but may upgrade anyway to newer equipment. Now the only issue is selling my Hydra-Sport. Hopefully I'll find someone who appreciates an old boat that is in really great shape. Also I will look into upgrading the power head, I was a mechanic for 14 years so may try it myself, can't be much harder than a sled motor or a 6.0 diesel engine to get into. But as with anything having the proper information at hand is usually the key. I have added a pic of the old Hydra on profile. Thanks fellas.

Well went and looked at it and it is more rough than I would like to get into. Took it out for a test drive and it ran fine but there is not power trim which is disappointing. The interior was rough needing new carpet and the seats were cracked and needed recovered. The gel coat on the upper half of the hull was poorly taken care of and was burned through in many places which would make for a lot of work to get into shape. I am going to keep looking , in fact I found a 97 Astro for sale on consignment that was listed at 8200 but the older couple has already bought another boat and are looking to move it. Has anyone had any experience with the Astro 1800 fs? It has a Mercury 115 and is very clean and well maintained. Thoughts?

Ah. Sorry to hear it was not in better condition. Keep looking and you will find you perfect boat. I have no experience with Astro, but encourage you to cast a wide net. This is a great time of year to buy a boat. You might have to drive a few hours, but you will find something! :cool:

Latest posts

Back