591, Z7 trailer issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Mauzy

Reaction score
One of my friends has a trail star trailer for his 07 nitro 591 and I have a 08 Z7 with the same trailer. We are both having issues with bearing failure. In the last three years between the both of us we have replaced the bearings on at least five times. He has taken his to a couple different mechanics, and these are trailer mechanics, and still have blown out the bearings. We have both stopped putting tackle in our boats, put no more that 30 gallons of fuel, replaced hubs, replaced tires, tires balanced. Now before either one of us take off for the next trip we jack up the trailer and check the wheels for play.

The question I have is others with this model of boats and trailers having the same issues?

Thanks

In the process of changing both hub assemblies on my 08 Z7. Wanting to change to a straight axle but not sure if it will work with this trailer. Sounds like you’ve changed just about everything out but the axle. Is yours running a curved axle? Never seen that on a bass boat until I got this one.

Same type of axle. The axle has been changed once.

The boat is too heavy for the axle. If you have a full tank of gas, two peoples tackle, three batteries and other essentials it is close to the maximum weight.

My buddies trailer has developed a problem with the spindle weld breaking. Keep an eye on that.

I was told that the straight axle would not work, I asked why and got silence on the other end. He bought a aftermarket tandem axle trailer, tired of dealing with it.

IMG_0455.png

Man I don’t see why not. The string line is even with the axle at the spindles. It’s still below the frame and well below the bunks. My plan was to order a 4400 lb straight axle but still waiting for BPS to call me back. Assuming I won’t hear anything different than what they told you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 6.55.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 6.55.24 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I don’t know why it won’t work, I figured I would see what I can get in a 5500 lb, axle, change tires and wheels. That way I will not have to worry about weight, possibly put on Kodiak wet hubs.

Update me on what you end up doing.

Will do. Have you ever run your boat over scale while fully loaded and fueled up? I have not but am curious how heavy it actually pulls.

I think about it, but when I’m heading out it’s not on my mind.
I have taken so much tackle and gear out of the boat to lighten the load. I keep 1/2 tank of gas, 1/2 gallon of opti oil on hand.
If I get the opportunity to weigh it I will post it.

Timken bearings, double lip seal.

Even the Timken bearings failed prematurely.

One of my friends has a trail star trailer for his 07 nitro 591 and I have a 08 Z7 with the same trailer. We are both having issues with bearing failure. In the last three years between the both of us we have replaced the bearings on at least five times. He has taken his to a couple different mechanics, and these are trailer mechanics, and still have blown out the bearings. We have both stopped putting tackle in our boats, put no more that 30 gallons of fuel, replaced hubs, replaced tires, tires balanced. Now before either one of us take off for the next trip we jack up the trailer and check the wheels for play.

The question I have is others with this model of boats and trailers having the same issues?

Thanks
You can change the trailer to a torsion axel that bolts on to the frame of the trailer no more springs, shackles, hangers. You can pick your load #3500 and up.

What kind of bearings? Cheap Chinese bearings won't last. Timken, or SKF are the only bearings I will put in anything.
You might want to check both of those bearing manufacturers, very few of their bearings are made in America. My hubs on my 04 Ram where SKF and they where marked made in China.

You might want to check both of those bearing manufacturers, very few of their bearings are made in America. My hubs on my 04 Ram where SKF and they where marked made in China.

Unit bearings in stock didn't last long. I have an 06 Ram 3500. I run locking hubs. SPYNTEC kit.
Timmken's that they use all have been 'merican.

Timken bearings, double lip seal.

Even the Timken bearings failed prematurely.
Did you put them in? If a mechanic did it I would question how much preload they were torqued to. Bearings do fail but that should be an exception not a regular occurrence.

Either the bearings were over torqued or the axel has too much weight.

I hope you get it worked out. If weight is the issue the trailer manufacturer made a design error.

The problem with wheel bearings, there is no specific torque rating. The installation of these bearings is by feel.

Thanks
I have a 1098 procraft super pro 200 with a 225 optimax jack plates 25 poles and all the baits the lockers will hold 4 acid batteries and 4 bank charger two 10in grafs up front and 2 at the helm. And a garman 36v troller on the nose. With a single axle trailer of all things. My only issue is I burn 🔥 the tires off every year till I started buying 6 and 8 ply tires. I only use premium hi temp grease for the bearings and carefully how I set them. And I put a hole bunch of grease in the middle of the hub when putting back together. And also only use bouble axle seals. After 10 years building and servicing trailers of every kind to break an axle weld like in your pic. Tells me that's from impact, like a curb hit or a deap hole drop. And also have seen guys drop off concrete edges on ramps will mess them up. Caution how you drive is the key.

Latest posts

Back