591 or TR186

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Jaworski

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at boats this week. I think I have the Tracker sold. I like the 591 for the room, however the TR186 comes with HYD steering, trailer brakes, higher GPM pumps, 150 OPTI all for the same price as a 591 with a 135 OPTI. Am I missing something or am I getting a great deal on the Triton. Both will run me about 25K. I guess if I go Triton Ill be losing 1 inch length and 3 inches on the beam. It dosent seem like to much to worry about.

What do you think???

Bill, Will I still be able to fish the Hot side If I buy a Triton or will I be booted from the club??? This may be the deciding factor:D

Thanks,

Mark

You can get all the advice you want, but it comes down to what YOU like. Try to drive them both if you can, check out the service department from each of the two dealers you are dealing with to see if you will like dealing with those people, check insurance rates, and verify equipment one-for-one on both boats to see what you are truly getting.

Posting a "what should I buy, Nitro or Triton" on a Nitro board (or on a Triton board) is bound to get some one-sided opinions from some (not all - I realize) people... don't cha' think? :lol:

Best of luck in whatever you decide to buy. I hope you enjoy it. By the way... for "fishing the hot side" purposes, the Triton can be turned into a Nitro quickly by rearranging the letters and dropping the extra "T". :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Ive been on the board a while. I had an NX750 prior to the Tracker. I did not ask what should I buy. I just wanted some opinions. I dont care if they are biased or not.

I have actually done all the research you suggested, other than the test ride. I figured that there is alot of knowledge here on the board, maybee I missed something. After all isnt that what these boards are all about? Info??

How about it 591 drivers, what are your likes and dislikes?

Thanks,

Mark

OK... if you are just looking for advice -

If both boats are the same price, and you get hydraulic steering with a 150 in the Triton, and the 591 only has cable steering and a 135... I'd lean heavily towards the Triton. Not because I'm a Triton owner - it has to do with outfitting a boat with the maximum hp that is recommended for it. I hate seeing underpowered boats. I hear a lot of complaints from boat owners regarding poor holeshot, low top speed, etc... and when you ask them what engine they are running, and they respond with something less than the max hp... it makes me want to cringe.

The TR186 at 18'6", approx 1660lbs is rated for 150, and has a 91" beam.

The 591 at 18'7", approx 1550 lbs is rated for 200hp, and has a 94" beam

....according to each of their websites (is that right??? The 591 is rated for a 200???)

Triton = 36 gallons of fuel,

Nitro = 43 gallons of fuel.

The website for each manufacturer has a retail price listed as $21,995 - but that is both boats equipped with a Merc 150 EFI, and both are 2007 prices.

Now, taking this into account - I'd be willing to chance that both boats, loaded the same way, full of fuel, both with a 150.... I'd venture to bet the Triton is going to be a bit faster, but if that Nitro has the ride that I've seen a lot of the Nitro's have - it's probably going to be a better rough water boat... or about as good as you can get a 18'7" boat to ride in rough water.

... but you said the 591 only had a 135 on it... so... it is underpowered by 65hp. Hmmm... full of fuel, underpowered by 65hp... I'd skip it.

So, if you want my opinion - buy the TR186 out of the two you listed. Now, put a 200 on the back of the 591, or maybe even a 175 (I wouldn't like it... but I could live with a 25hp difference - but not 65), and my opinion would change drastically.

I haven't driven the 591. I'll be driving a TR186 to help a friend set his up a bit better soon.

Once again, best of luck in whatever you decide to buy.

All the best,

Glenn

I have a 150 Opti on my 591 and it gets up on plane just fine. On a cool morning with a light load it will hit 62 mph GPS, with a full load of tackle, full livewell, and two people on board it's closer to 57 or 58.

Mark, are you sure about the pricing you're getting? I got a '06 591 with 150 Opti, trailer brakes, spare, cover, and upgraded the TM to a MK MaxxPro 80 and got out the door for a little over $23K. The 18' Ranger I was looking at was closer to $29K with a Yamaha carb motor....similar pricing at the Champ dealer. I didn't even consider Triton or Skeeter. I really did want the hydraulic steering but didn't want to spend the extra grand. I'm doing just fine without it.

The Nitro website is showing the 150 EFI motor as the base motor with the 591 @ $21,995 + everything. The Opti is a $2100 upgrade. If you order a new 591 now it will be an '08 Z-7. I'm not sure what kind of changes will be made on it.

Let us know what you do.:)

Mark - We even let Monkey Boats on the hot side so if you go with the Triton, it's no problem!

Get what you want and never look back. You are always welcome here on this board.

Bill

Tuff decision ? not

Now don't go slingin' stuff guys:lol:

591/135 is going to be labled as underpowered when you want to sell it in a few years. It will fish fine but I t is going to be harder to sell.

They are both very nice boats.

Marc

Thanks Guys,

The prices I got were:

BPS in Hampton, VA

07 591 W/150 Opti = $25,892 + tax/registration (package I would purchase)

07 591 W/150 EFI = $22,891 + tax/registration

07 591 W/135 Opti = $24,692 + tax/registration

After Sooners comment I am going to see if they can do any better on the price.

POP's Marine Toano, VA

08 TR186 W/150 Opti = $24,650 + tax/registration

Thanks Glenn/Marc, I did not think about the under power issue for resale

It looks to me like the Nitro decks, front and rear are bigger. I may have to measure them. The specs say its only an 1 inch length/3 inch beam but it sure looks bigger in person. Maybe its the layout.

I am going to look at both boats again today. I hope to decide by weeks end.

Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for the hospitality Bill.

Mark

Hey Mark. You change user names on us brother? :lol:

Given the two dealerships you mentioned - I have some EXTREME preferences on this subject now. I'll stop there, and tell you what I have to say on dealership issues:

Pops Marine is the most awesome boat dealership I have ever had the pleasure dealing with. Richard Addy (salesman) is a great person to deal with, and will make a buying experience fantastic. Their rigging is excellent, their service is outstanding. My entire buying and owning experience since purchasing from them has been wonderful. I really liked the fact that Richard KNEW the boats he was selling. I asked questions - he answered them. I hate when I ask someone a question about a boat and they pick up a catalog and rattle off the information about it. Richard didn't have to do that.

The service has been great also - and not only for people that buy their boats there. They are a bass boat dealership. That is what they do. You won't see saltwater boats or pontoon boats there - just bass boats. They know bass boats. They rig them right. Each time I've bought my rig in for service, I have been asked "Do you have a tournament coming up?". If I need it in a hurry, they have bent over backwards to ensure it happens. When I bought my TR-20X from them, I bought it on a Thursday. It had a 225 EFI on the back of it, sitting in the lot, and I bought the 225 Optimax, so they had to change out the engine. I also had my own electronics, so they had to remove the electronics and put mine in, plus rig temp sensors. I also had a turn-signal type trim switch and hot foot added. I finished the buying process late in the evening on Thursday. I needed the boat for a tournament that Saturday. They had my boat ready at noon on Friday. Not an "impossible" task.... but check how many local dealerships would have performed that work in half a day to ensure their customer got their boat before the weekend. AWESOME dealership - simply awesome.

OK... my .02 has been added once again. Pops Marine - :wub:

All the best,

Glenn

One point about the price of my boat I guess I should have made clearer.... It was an '06 sitting on the showroom in Feb '07. They were ready to move it. Also, I bought my PT-185 from the same salesman back in '02 and we both fish in the same club AND it was a boat show deal. He knew I was pretty serious about the Ranger so he got down and dirty on the price. Sort of the perfect storm of getting a deal. :cool:

591c.jpg

I just realized when I looked at the picture ...I also added the second console.

Don't forget......Use your buying power and negotiate....put the 2 who want your $$ up against each other and let them help you make the decision (kinda like tying 2 cats tails together and throwing them over a clothsline!!:lol:)

But first...go ride in both, that'll help you make up you mind and as a matter of fact I might be willing to say your mind will be made up after the ride. Thats what test rides do.

Let me know if you need any help out of Hampton BPS, that's the store I am sponsored out of.

TOXIC

Hey Glenn

Sometimes I put Mark and sometimes I put Jaws, I really dont think about it:D

POP's is one the main reason I am thinking of Triton. I have heard nothing but good about them. I am dealing with Richard Addy.

On the other hand I have also dealt with BPS service in Hampton more than I would have liked. (not so good)

Plus POP's is only about 12 miles from the house and if I ever had an issue I could rum up there without fighting I64 traffic in Hampton.

Mark

I envy the fact that you live 12 miles from Pops. That puts you closer to them, the James, the Chick.... than I am. I have to drive about an hour to get there - but it's well worth the ride for me. Normally just stop by in Williamsburg and spend the day there anyway (helps to buy the wife something from the outlet malls if I am going to be gone all day.) :p

All the best,

Glenn

Mark,

keep in mind the 135 opti is rated at 147hp at the prop. the 150 opti is rated at 150hp.

so you really are not giving up any hp.

i would look at the extra width in the 591. i know i really like the width of my 882.

both are good rigs. go with the best dealer. it may be the best choice in the long run..

GregD

Hi all,

Ive decided on the Triton, The dealer is class "A" and the package is outstanding. I went to BASS Pro today and they would not budge on the price.

Lower price than the 07 591 and all of these options.

08 TR186

150 OPTI

Hot Foot

Jack Plate

Hyd steering

Trailer brakes

Rod organizer

aluminum trailer wheels + spare

Custom fit boat Cover (Possible)

X135 FF

Thanks for all of the opinions,

Please dont kick me to the curb:(:eek:

Mark

Mark, Don't sign the check just yet. My Champion is still up for sale and it is a just add water boat. Everything you have listed plus all the coast guard requires and more. It's on the swap and sell from last fall and I can repost if needed. Electronics and everything and if you act fast I can include the trails from Gregs Z9. (I love having a boat hostage)

BF

Mark - Come on down (up in your case) and get'er wet on the hot side! Congrats on making the decision. Now we got Monkey Boats and Tritoons and an occassional Bass Kitty. Oooops, sorry Bruce and sometimes a Champeen! LOL

Havent signed the check yet, Probably Wed. Great offer Bruce, But the service at POPs is good and that one of the reasons Im buying from them.

Thanks Bill will do for sure.

Mark

Latest posts

Back