4 BEEPS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARC G

Reaction score
I read an article Mercury 150 EFI about the 4 beeps, this past weekend we hit a big wave, 4 beeps started, checked oil half full, get back to boat lift, take off hood, reserve tank full, filled tank up, let run until oil purged through vent. Started boat back up, the beeping was still there, purged again, 4 beeps still there. Any suggestions, Ideas

I do know that many of the Mercury 2 cycle engines with the oil tank under the cowel, have a sensor that work of a magnet contact. If the magnet or sensor come loose in the tank then it tells the system that the oil is empty or low. I know becoause that happend to me with a 115 Pro XS a few years ago. A service center will have to replace the oil tank if that is the situation..

I too had the problem that Larry has described. The magnet separates from the float which results in a false low oil tank level. I was able to carefully remove the two pieces and superglue them back together. 2001 Mercury 90 HP 2-stroke.
There's some Internet info available.
Vic

Low oil sensors are a great place to start. Hopefully that is all it is, a bad sensor. If the sensors test ok, then check your battery.

This will sound a bit crazy, but an under-powered (Mercury has minimum battery CCA requirements for many of their outboards) or poorly charged crank battery can cause ghost signals to go to your computer which can show up as oil pump problems , oil sensors problems etc.

I had this happen to me. It took 6 months to figure it out. I got lucky and saw the solution on a forum. My boat has a 225HP Optimax and had a battery that was 50 CCA under that recommended by Mercury. Replaced the battery with a bigger one and the problem went away.

I read an article Mercury 150 EFI about the 4 beeps, this past weekend we hit a big wave, 4 beeps started, checked oil half full, get back to boat lift, take off hood, reserve tank full, filled tank up, let run until oil purged through vent. Started boat back up, the beeping was still there, purged again, 4 beeps still there. Any suggestions, Ideas

Here's a quick check you can do to see if it's the reserve tank senor. Unscrew the tank cap take it out and lift up the float put a tie rap on the shaft reinstall the cap and test run. If no beeps just buy a new senor cap float switch.

There was an issue with the Optimax reserve tanks. Check the cap. Mine cracked a few years back and did exactly what you described.

Latest posts

Back