300 win mag round III

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
So I get day it's above freezing and a pack up the 300 win in its drag bag and head to the range. Got four different loadings to try. First five look promising but not there yet. Then I'm shooting all over the place again. I brought tools this time and stripped it down to the barrel and action. Tightened everything again. This time the bases for the scope mounts were loose. So against my wishes I got the blue $#it lock tight and smeared everything, retightened everything .......again and let er sit in the sun for a half hour.
Only had fifteen rounds left. All three under one inch MOA. Much better but not to my standards for 100 yds. I'd take it at 200 but not one. BUT much better overall :). My .308 's shoot better groups at two hundred yds than one so it's load em up and try again. At least I'm not grumbling anymore. I now have 115 rounds through it and less than a third with everything battened down. Things are looking up. Now if everything will stay tight.
fatrap

Mike,

Reach into your bags of goodies and try your best load to date with 3 or more different primers. I suspect somehow you may be getting inconsistent ignition with those heavy bullets in that long case.

Do you have a second set of dies for 300WM? Again, neck tension on the case can create erractic pressures.

Finally, wipe the bugs off your glasses....lol (out of ideas for the moment)

I loaded the last batch with just a Lee case neck resizer die. The only LRM primers I can get right now is Winchester. Guns Unlimited in Omaha has CCI's on back order. Theres another big gun show in Des Moines in Janurary and I'LL get my friend Steve to keep his eye out for some others, Ive never used Remington magnum primers. I,d also like to get my hands on some 200 grain Sierra bthp.
I don,t know if my glasses are dirty or not because I keep my eyes shut most the time waiting for that big bang! :)
fatrap

I loaded the last batch with just a Lee case neck resizer die. The only LRM primers I can get right now is Winchester. Guns Unlimited in Omaha has CCI's on back order. Theres another big gun show in Des Moines in Janurary and I'LL get my friend Steve to keep his eye out for some others, Ive never used Remington magnum primers. I,d also like to get my hands on some 200 grain Sierra bthp.
I don,t know if my glasses are dirty or not because I keep my eyes shut most the time waiting for that big bang! :)
fatrap

Midway (www.midwayusa.com) has 200gr Sierra HPBT in stock in hundred bags/boxes and 500

They came up out of stock. I have plenty of 208 Hornady's in BTHP but wanted to change up. It's near zero outside and I doubt I'll be going to the range anytime soon. I need to locate some more brass also. I just have to get to Iowa City and get it. That will be in February. I have Iowa, Minn, MI, and NE in a quadruple gymnastic meet and I can meet with my bud and pick it up. Still trying to snag some CCI LRM primers locally.

Mike

Too bad.... They were "available" when I posted. But, they should have them again, soon.

Jeff and I are into our "stockpile" shotgun shells mode. 20 ga first, till we have 2000 then we switch to 12 ga for the same amount for trap and skeet. This year we started o.ut ahead several hundred because of the new grandson, didn't shoot as much and Courtney stopped shooting in August. We ran out of Federal 209A primers so we have to wait till next week. Jeff has a court appearance out in Ogle County and a shop there is holding 2000 of them for us. We always "plan" to load as many as we shoot but never do and always fall behind! LOL But, it is nice to have a goal... And, that 2000 round cushion has always gotten us through a year.

Next process is to fire up the progressive and crank out .45 acp. The shop out in Ogle County is holding 8 lbs of Unique for us.

Greg
I'll keep checking Midway. I just loaded 40 rnds of 208 Hornady's and need to set up some pistol dies as soon as I get the rest of my 300wm brass loaded. 9mm is below 300 rnds and I have 500 Barry's 115grain copper plated I can put together. The boy's coming back from SD for Christmas and wants to shoot.... My ammo of course.
fatrap

Latest posts

Back