2022 z19 sport hard steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbm78

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here and also a new boat owner. I have a 2022 Nitro z19 sport with a Mercury pro xs 200 on it. Well I took it out today to break in the motor. Well I had an experienced boater to help me out today as well. But we noticed when we were driving the boat the steering was extremely hard to the left it took 2 hands to make a turn. The steering to the right was one hand very easy and smooth. It might of got a little easier when you raise the motor up but not much too notice. The only time is got easier was at very slow speeds 10mph. Do you guys know what the problem could be? Thank you very mich

Have the 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport since May 21. The steering turns easy at faster speeds and firm at lower speeds. Call dealer or better yet email service center. You want to document all problems so they can get fixed under warranty. If you make adjustments on your own you may void your warranty.

My ‘20 model doesn’t steer like that. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for some adjustments are in your future.

My ‘20 model doesn’t steer like that. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for some adjustments are in your future.
I was told when I purchased my boat if the steering gets stiff, need to bleed the Line for air. It could also be low in power steering fluid from the factory

My 2008 189 sport (same boat just older) does the same thing until its trimmed. The more weight in the boat the worse it is. Mine almost turns right by itself until on plane.

Hey guys I’m new here and also a new boat owner. I have a 2022 Nitro z19 sport with a Mercury pro xs 200 on it. Well I took it out today to break in the motor. Well I had an experienced boater to help me out today as well. But we noticed when we were driving the boat the steering was extremely hard to the left it took 2 hands to make a turn. The steering to the right was one hand very easy and smooth. It might of got a little easier when you raise the motor up but not much too notice. The only time is got easier was at very slow speeds 10mph. Do you guys know what the problem could be? Thank you very mich
Turn trim tab to the left until it becomes neutral with no tendency to pull right or left.

I've noticed my nitro 929 with 225 merc , doesn't have a trim tab either. When I'm trimmed at 4000 rpm she is a dream ( around 50 ). Full throttle I have to hold on for dear life, well you can't let go of the wheel , but we're moving along at a pretty good clip.

There is no trim tab on the 200 ProXs. Unless you are trimmed just right it is a tuff steer. As noted I am an old guy (80) with both rotator cuffs useless. I installed a SeaStar power assist unit on my 21 Z19. Just like driving my truck. PM me and I can give you all the particulars, big $$$ but you can steer with one finger.

There is no trim tab on the 200 ProXs. Unless you are trimmed just right it is a tuff steer. As noted I am an old guy (80) with both rotator cuffs useless. I installed a SeaStar power assist unit on my 21 Z19. Just like driving my truck. PM me and I can give you all the particulars, big $$$ but you can steer with one finger.
Thay's the thing I have SeaStar on her , its all good untill I go full thottle. Maybe needs some fluid or something.

Not surprised to hear this one bit. I’m also fairly new to this but if you can read all my posts from about a month ago I have numerous issues about the 2021 Z19 Sport with the 200ProXs. The steering, the trim range, the porpoising, the clunk when putting in gear the cover not fitting the Minn Kota Ultrex, the trailer set up for loading and unloading, etc etc etc. If you are having these same issues you are not be the only one I promise! Something is wrong with the setup. I’ve heard so many opinions my head is about to explode. I’ve had then raise the engine up a hole and tried a new stern lifting prop. Nothing. I have had an authorize service center send multiple emails to Nitro and all they answered with were questions about the factory set up. They have offered nothing in weeks. They’ve supposedly sent follow up emails and nothing. Nitro has got to have the worst customer service out there. I’m very disappointed. Considering a hydraulic jack plate as a last resort but waiting on their opinion first. I’m getting very impatient!!!!!! I personally believe the trim angle is wrong or the weight is to stern heavy. Could even be the exact opposite. Maybe being a fish and ski the weight is to bow heavy and it’s having trouble getting on plane. The porpoising happens mostly in at low to mid range speed and 100% in r semi to rough water. Boat actually runs decent in calm water and low fuel but loaded with 4 and a full tank you can forget it. That’s why I think it’s stern heavy. If you find answers to any of these issues please PM me. Thanks

Not surprised to hear this one bit. I’m also fairly new to this but if you can read all my posts from about a month ago I have numerous issues about the 2021 Z19 Sport with the 200ProXs. The steering, the trim range, the porpoising, the clunk when putting in gear the cover not fitting the Minn Kota Ultrex, the trailer set up for loading and unloading, etc etc etc. If you are having these same issues you are not be the only one I promise! Something is wrong with the setup. I’ve heard so many opinions my head is about to explode. I’ve had then raise the engine up a hole and tried a new stern lifting prop. Nothing. I have had an authorize service center send multiple emails to Nitro and all they answered with were questions about the factory set up. They have offered nothing in weeks. They’ve supposedly sent follow up emails and nothing. Nitro has got to have the worst customer service out there. I’m very disappointed. Considering a hydraulic jack plate as a last resort but waiting on their opinion first. I’m getting very impatient!!!!!! I personally believe the trim angle is wrong or the weight is to stern heavy. Could even be the exact opposite. Maybe being a fish and ski the weight is to bow heavy and it’s having trouble getting on plane. The porpoising happens mostly in at low to mid range speed and 100% in r semi to rough water. Boat actually runs decent in calm water and low fuel but loaded with 4 and a full tank you can forget it. That’s why I think it’s stern heavy. If you find answers to any of these issues please PM me. Thanks
One more thing. My trim stays buried unless I’m in calm water or close to full throttle

Have you had it up to 4 - 5000 rpm's and on plane ?
Of course. I’ve had techs and guys who build racing boats drive the boat. The only option left is try this and try that. That’s expensive!!! People are looking for solutions not opinions for this specific boat and set up. I’d be nice to wake up one morning and someone say… hey tried this and the boat rides perfect now.

Of course. I’ve had techs and guys who build racing boats drive the boat. The only option left is try this and try that. That’s expensive!!! People are looking for solutions not opinions for this specific boat and set up. I’d be nice to wake up one morning and someone say… hey tried this and the boat rides perfect now.
Sorry bud , you said it was new, just had to ask. If you had all these techs and builders look at it , they are way above my knowledge. I' surprised one of them couldn't help especially being there and hands on the boat. I feel for ya, seems like your between a rock and a hard spot.

Yeah I am it’s very frustrating. No one knows anything about how or why the engineers designed and set this boat up like they did. Nitro will not let consumers talk to their techs. You’d think they would test these boats before they ship them out. I was told though that it’s almost impossible to set a boat up perfect for every scenario. I just don’t buy it. I’ve driven and owed plenty of boats that drive well loaded to the minimum or max limit. Obviously you can tell the a difference in performance between the two but it’s still nothing like this boat. All the techs say it’s just a trial and error thing. Not many people have spare props lying around that they’ll let you try and unless you have a lift to move the engine up and down to find the right height for each prop that would get expensive too. They also say just taking measurements should get you close. I’m thinking about adding a hydraulic jack plate but I’m worried setting engine back may make it even make it worse. After it’s all said and done it’ll probably be about a $2000 gamble trying that. I’m already $1050 in trying to lift engine up a hole $250 an $800 prop. I know everyone’s just trying to help but man I just wish someone would give me a solution. My pockets aren’t that deep I spent a lot of money on this boat

It is new though. October of 2021 and it has about 25 hours now. I’m past break in and we’ve tried all rpm ranges. About 5800 at WOT. Also rides better when two people are sitting up on the bow. That said it’s not like a ski boat bow it’s a fishing deck and you would not want to sit up there in rough conditions. We added about 300 lbs up there just to see and it does settle it down some but my wife actually hurt her neck sitting in the passenger seat. That 200ProXs acts like it wants to launch the boat out of the water like a rocket, but then it’s slams the bow down hard, the prop loses bite, then it bites and repeats. Keep in mind that’s trimmed all the way down. If I trim it up I literally think I could lift the boat out of water. Probably not but that’s what it feels like. Lol

Latest posts

Back