2022 z19 sport hard steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I am it’s very frustrating. No one knows anything about how or why the engineers designed and set this boat up like they did. Nitro will not let consumers talk to their techs. You’d think they would test these boats before they ship them out. I was told though that it’s almost impossible to set a boat up perfect for every scenario. I just don’t buy it. I’ve driven and owed plenty of boats that drive well loaded to the minimum or max limit. Obviously you can tell the a difference in performance between the two but it’s still nothing like this boat. All the techs say it’s just a trial and error thing. Not many people have spare props lying around that they’ll let you try and unless you have a lift to move the engine up and down to find the right height for each prop that would get expensive too. They also say just taking measurements should get you close. I’m thinking about adding a hydraulic jack plate but I’m worried setting engine back may make it even make it worse. After it’s all said and done it’ll probably be about a $2000 gamble trying that. I’m already $1050 in trying to lift engine up a hole $250 an $800 prop. I know everyone’s just trying to help but man I just wish someone would give me a solution. My pockets aren’t that deep I spent a lot of money on this boat
The only thing that possibly comes to mind and it may sound silly. My first new boat I bought back in 97 , nothing special it was a 75 merc, on a 17ft Thunderbolt still have her. The prop was wrong for hole shot , I live next to Midway Airport which of course has a prop store next to it. Stopped in an explained what was going on and what I wanted her to do, they sold me an aluminum prop which fixed the problem still looks like the day I bought it, but it was 100.00 , my thoughts you could possibly talk to them they are still there, 100.00 is better than 800.00 . What prop is on it now?

I had a problem very similar to yours, steering hard after I had some work done to my boat. They had disconnected all the batteries and maybe when they reconnected them they shorted the wire going to the power steering pump. I found the fuse was blown. I replaced it and have not had a problem since. I do have a 200 Pro XS too.

I had a problem very similar to yours, steering hard after I had some work done to my boat. They had disconnected all the batteries and maybe when they reconnected them they shorted the wire going to the power steering pump. I found the fuse was blown. I replaced it and have not had a problem since. I do have a 200 Pro XS too.
Same problem as Steve here. Where is the pump located? I thought these had no pumps on them.

Check your hull, it could be hooked. Take a 6' level and put on bottom of boat. Should be perfectly flat. Check how it sits on bunks, flat or bowed up off bunks?. I had an old Z19 that was hard steering unless trimmed just right. It got to the point had it maxed trim just to perform right. It ended up being a hooked hull. You'll start losing rpm's and top speed......

Having same problem where is the power steering fuse located?

I sold my boat but wanted to throw this out there because I still receive these emails. That last post doesn’t seem like my issue because mine was more of a porpoising problem and lack of trim. The last thing I tried was bottom out the engine on the transom in its lowest position possible. The first time I lifted it up a hole and made it worse. That move would break your back in any kind of waves…it was bad. Without doubt the most usual trim, easiest to steer, and best ride was the last effort. The prop needed cleaner water I guess. Still wasn’t completely happy and didn’t want to keep throwing money at it so I sold it. Never tried a jackplate though. Please post if anyone try’s that. Hopefully this info will help.

Latest posts

Back