2022 Tracker 175 TXW trailer leaf spring replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggrimm01

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HelloCan anyone guide me to where I can buy quality leaf springs to fit my trailer. I want to replace so I don't have to worry about breakage in the future.

I mail ordered a set for my old trailer from Northern tool. Granted they're Chinese. I welded new shackle brackets on and they worked perfectly.

They were cheap and lasted the 15 years till I sold the boat. They'll probably outlast the trailer.

(EDIT: The reason for replacement was my old boat had slipper shackles, and the shackle points were showing wear.)

I would wait till something goes awry with the ones on your trailer and go from there, they'll probably outlast the trailer.

I'm guessing you could measure the bolt size and the length, and you should be able to match them up.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365452_200365452
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/45134
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-spring-maximum-capacity-1-800-lbs-per-spring

HelloCan anyone guide me to where I can buy quality leaf springs to fit my trailer. I want to replace so I don't have to worry about breakage in the future.
Why are you wanting to replace leaf springs on a 2022 trailer? Would you swap out the leaf springs on a one year old vehicle? I don't know where Tracker's boat manufacturer buys their leaf springs from but I haven't heard or seen boat trailers stranded along the road with broken springs.

I would spend that money on more fishing equipment myself.

Hello

I know numerous people whose leaf spring have broken driving down the road for these tracker boat trailers. I want to be proactive and replace or have the set on hand in case I break one.

I have a 2018 175 TXW. This is the first I've heard of leaf spring failures on a 175TXW. Bad metallurgy (cracked spring)? Shackles coming loose? Corrosion?

EDIT: I honestly never paid attention and didn't realize guys were having issues with springs.

Why are you wanting to replace leaf springs on a 2022 trailer? Would you swap out the leaf springs on a one year old vehicle? I don't know where Tracker's boat manufacturer buys their leaf springs from but I haven't heard or seen boat trailers stranded along the road with broken springs.

I would spend that money on more fishing equipment myself.
Evidence of what happens when leaf springs on a 20 year old tracker trailer go bad.

Attachments

• 20220920_081122.jpg
    20220920_081122.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220920_081116.jpg
    20220920_081116.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
20 years old? Yikes, that's ugly. Lucky the boat wasn't trashed or worse.

I'm sure somebody will correct my statement if I'm wrong, but that's a glass boat, maybe a Z19 at probably 2500 lbs, maybe more. Probably double or more than that of a light weight 175txw at 1100 lbs or so. I wonder if the springs on that tragedy were undersized for the weight of the boat or just defective. It sure would be nice to know what people have found to be the issue.

You can't actually see the failure point. Center index? Shackle bolt? Bracket? The trailer doesn't appear to have any corrosion at all.

It is a Nitro 750 ... the leaf spring split in half ...looked like rust. In the center. It is a galvanized trailer. The mechanic who fixed it said he has seen this before. When he repaired it he put heavier duty leaf springs on it.

I take it that was probably your boat. The 750 is a pretty light boat. 1300 lbs. maybe.

Searching this site, there are a few different spring failures showing up.

What weight rating springs did they replace yours with? You could probably go too heavy with them, just like going from 4 ply tires to 6 ply. It'll run too stiff and beat the hell out of the boat and cause other problems.

Someone mentioned on one other spring failure thread to run a lower tire pressure. Probably not a bad idea, just not too low.

You tube video showing a Mono (single leaf) spring being replaced with a spring stack.

Went from 3 layer to 4 layer leaf spring ...the ride is no different. Slightly heavier than old springs. The mechanic who fixed it specializes in trailer suspensions and frames so i am pretty sure he knew what he was doing.

Did your mechanic say what weight rating the spring was designed for?

My 2018 175 TXW spring should be the same as the original posters question a single leaf. The trailer max load capacity is 2239 lbs.

Probably 25 1/2" length unladen.
1 3/4" width
laden arch is about 2 1/2"
Mono leaf

spring.jpg

Evidence of what happens when leaf springs on a 20 year old tracker trailer go bad.
Okay you got me....a twenty year old leaf spring failed. That sure wouldn't have me running out to buy a set of leaf springs for a one year old trailer, just in case a spring broke. If I were that paranode I would never leave my house let alone go out on a boat. You run a higher chance of having a hub fail then a leaf spring. They do make shock absorber kits for trailers and that would go a long way in improving your trailers ride. BTW I own a 2022 Tracker Targa V-19 WT Tournament Edition and a little Merc 225HP motor. The trailer has two sets of axels and a boat weight of 4800# +/- fully loaded with fuel and junk. In eighteen years I'll check the leaf springs but if they fail before that, it's Allstate's problem.

On edit; I guess if I only had a single axel I might look at it a little differently, but not on a one year old trailer.

If you change out that leaf spring now, where do you think you'd be in 20 years? Answer, changing out that leaf spring you bought 20 years ago.

I hear where you're coming from, but I would wait at least 10 to 12 years before thinking about this. At that time I would change to multi leaves springs.

I too had single leaf spring break after 14 years, luckily I was able to pull off the road and unhook and run home get 2x4s and jack up trailer and put the blocks in between axle and frame. Drove home and replaced the springs.

I'm glad the OP posted this, it got me to searching and educating myself. I'm not following suit to swap springs out because they are mono.

My trailer is 5 years old. with very little use on it. I just crawled all over the underside and the MONO springs are essentially new, so I'm not concerned enough to replace them.

Mono springs? If it were a car or truck I would without a doubt be concerned, but since there is no chance of axle torque wrap up. and the springs were never even close to being overloaded, I think I'll just keep an eye on them.

Over springing a lightly loaded trailer is probably as bad as under springing. When it comes time to change mine out, I'm probably going to go with a 3 leaf 1250 per spring for 2500lb total since it more closely matches the trailers design limits of 2239lbs. Increasing the compression spring rate by going to a leaf stack alone will amplify road impact force, stiffer ride by some multiple on the overhang which happens to be the transom and motor. Going up to 3000 lbs will make it all that much stiffer.

Hello

I know numerous people whose leaf spring have broken driving down the road for these tracker boat trailers. I want to be proactive and replace or have the set on hand in case I break one.
My trailer was about 10 years old before a spring broke.

Got mine from Michigan Wisconsin Spring +1 906-774-8330
Bolted right up.

A lot of good information and input here. Myself I learned some new things. Bottom line here if you don’t feel comfortable with your trailer setup your always be waiting for the break down. Possible better to replace the leaf springs just to get that peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back