2022 PVG 16 WT connecting both batteries to charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have questions on the best route to run an onboard charger line from the front trolling battery area to the rear main battery. I'm thing along the gunnel, however what's the best way?
Thanks for the consideration and comments.

under the gunnels is probably the neatist way . i would use heavy gauge wire for both leads . and a battrey disconnect for when the boat is not in use or being charged.check out burned glass boats. got a short in wireing in my tin boat . had to replace battrey and all wireing from battrey to front of boat. all fused toghether.☹

under the gunnels is probably the neatist way . i would use heavy gauge wire for both leads . and a battrey disconnect for when the boat is not in use or being charged.check out burned glass boats. got a short in wireing in my tin boat . had to replace battrey and all wireing from battrey to front of boat. all fused toghether.☹
I'm using the heavy extensions from Minn Kota which cover the gauge suggested. Being a new boat things should be holding together for a couple years...lol

That is one of the issues with the PGV 16 WT, charging the trolling motor battery. I am going to install and mount a on board charger under the passenger console. I will 1st pull the floor and run the wires. I will be using Minnkota extention wires for the install fore and aft. I will also replace the wet cell batteries with Grp 27 AGM for the trolling motor and starting battery.

That is one of the issues with the PGV 16 WT, charging the trolling motor battery. I am going to install and mount a on board charger under the passenger console. I will 1st pull the floor and run the wires. I will be using Minnkota extention wires for the install fore and aft. I will also replace the wet cell batteries with Grp 27 AGM for the trolling motor and starting battery.
I mounted a 2 bank charger on the side wall of the forward battery compartment and adding a second battery to the trolling battery in Parallel. I plan on running also the Minn Kota extension wires back to the main battery. I'm using a Minn Kota 2 banks Digital onboard charger and mounting the plug in the wall of the passenger console.
I just don't know if the floor or the gunnels were the best route to the main battery. Because the batteries are new I will wait to upgrade to AGM's. A flooring schematic would be helpful when you buy a new boat.

I asked one of the mechanics at my BPS Tracker shop the best route to run the wiring and he said to pull the floor(just held down by screws) for a clean install. Where the front battery is located it is a PITA to pull it and check the water. If you look behind the battery, there is a opening that lets you run the wires under the live well back to the charger under the floor. That's my plan of attack. If I can't find a combo charger, I will be adding a MinnKota alternator charger that will charge the trolling motor battery when the big motor is running. What engine are you running on your rig? Are you running the stock trolling motor on the front?

I asked one of the mechanics at my BPS Tracker shop the best route to run the wiring and he said to pull the floor(just held down by screws) for a clean install. Where the front battery is located it is a PITA to pull it and check the water. If you look behind the battery, there is a opening that lets you run the wires under the live well back to the charger under the floor. That's my plan of attack. If I can't find a combo charger, I will be adding a MinnKota alternator charger that will charge the trolling motor battery when the big motor is running. What engine are you running on your rig? Are you running the stock trolling motor on the front?
I just talked to the installers in WA and they also said to pull the floor. However I think I will run them down the rod locker on the port side. I am running the 45# trolling upgraded to an auto pilot w/ fob. My main is the Merc 90hp which should scoot it along, I have an 8hp Merc to run as a trolling as well in the back for the rivers.

Latest posts

Back