2019 Z18 W/150 Proxs Four Stroke, Top Speed?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Sylvester

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to Nitroowners. I just bought a 2019 Z18 with a 150 Pro XS four-stroke. This engine came standard with a Fury 23P 3 blade prop with all 3 PVS holes fully plugged. I also have a mechanical 6” slide master jack plate. Running approx 2-1/2” below pad. Boat runs very smooth, pops up on plane. however, here’s the problem...

Running some tests during initial break in period (so not running WOT for more very long), it appears to getting around 5800 RPM, but maxing out top speed around 54 MPH. Seeing what others are getting out of there 150’s and Z18’s seems like I should be getting closer to 65 MPH?

Load has been approx 1/2 tank of gas, loaded with tackle and just myself and a passenger.

Do you think my prop pitch should be 24P instead of 23P, engine height adjusted? Jumping on plane, Cavitation and/or slip don’t seem to be any problems. I get some porpoising when coming down to low speed planing around 3500 rpm, but nothing adjusting trim didn’t smooth out as normal.

Thoughts? Thank you ahead if time!

I have a 2017 Z-18 with the same engine. I have GPS'd 60 MPH a time or two but never 65. I have the Atlas Hydraulic Jack. I would question being able to run 65 but I haven't had any interest in running more than 60mph.... I will say that you should eaisly reach the upper 50's. Be sure you are checking with GPS. The mechanical gauges are all highly inacurate at best.

I have a 2017 Z-18 with the same engine. I have GPS'd 60 MPH a time or two but never 65. I have the Atlas Hydraulic Jack. I would question being able to run 65 but I haven't had any interest in running more than 60mph.... I will say that you should eaisly reach the upper 50's. Be sure you are checking with GPS. The mechanical gauges are all highly inacurate at best.

Thanks Larry, what prop are you running?

Thomas, I'm using the standard 23" pitch, 3 blade, that comes on the 150 rigged Z18's. I'm also a fan of the Sport SE 300 hydrofoil device. I find a huge advantage being able to easily get on plane with no more than 3,500 rmp throttle with any load. It has a small footprint and is out of the water once on plane and helps hold the plane attitue at slower speeds. I ran one for years on another 20' glass boat. Some say the don't like the appearance of it. I put it on my new rig without hesitation- too much advantage for me not to continue using one. Those who queston the use of it just haven't tried it or they used the wrong one.

Hey Guys,

New to Nitroowners. I just bought a 2019 Z18 with a 150 Pro XS four-stroke. This engine came standard with a Fury 23P 3 blade prop with all 3 PVS holes fully plugged. I also have a mechanical 6” slide master jack plate. Running approx 2-1/2” below pad. Boat runs very smooth, pops up on plane. however, here’s the problem...

Running some tests during initial break in period (so not running WOT for more very long), it appears to getting around 5800 RPM, but maxing out top speed around 54 MPH. Seeing what others are getting out of there 150’s and Z18’s seems like I should be getting closer to 65 MPH?

Load has been approx 1/2 tank of gas, loaded with tackle and just myself and a passenger.

Do you think my prop pitch should be 24P instead of 23P, engine height adjusted? Jumping on plane, Cavitation and/or slip don’t seem to be any problems. I get some porpoising when coming down to low speed planing around 3500 rpm, but nothing adjusting trim didn’t smooth out as normal.

Thoughts? Thank you ahead if time!
I'd like to see a 150 doing 65gps. I just sold a TR20 with a 225 optimax 2 stroke that gps'd 72 at best. I now have a Nitro Z21 with the 250 Optimax, 1/4 tank with very little equipment 74gps. Full tank, 2 people (partner weighs 320) tournament load, 2 power poles I'm lucky to get 68mph on gps. now neither boat has been set up or propped out. But in my years I've seen very few 150's exceed 60mph. Not doubting its possible but once you start lifting motors and propping beyond recommended manufactures specs you can run into trouble. Handling can be an issue, you can also have your prop blowing out as they say and over rev your engine. Just my opinion.

I have found so much inconsistency with this boats speed. I have the same boat with no jack plate in the same motor. With the two power poles a full tank of gas and a full live well my top speed is 50 miles an hour. Mine came with a 22 p three blade and would not get on plane after installation of the power poles. The dealer had to put a 19 pitch prop on mine just to get on plane.

I’ve had my z18 for 2 months now was fishing first tournament in this boat last week and found with 40 gal of fuel once I filled livewell had to have passenger lean forward or sat on cooler for boat to get on plane this was a very disappointing any advice would be much appreciated I have a 23 p fury prop and once on plane boat runs 54-55 mph on gps it’s like the livewell water weight is to much

Definitely should be pushing close to 60 with 2 people half tank and decent weather conditions on the z18... i have the 2019 z17 with half tank gas and 2 passangers (each weighing 150) and was able to get 49.5mph at 6k rpm during a 7-8mph day in the open lake.

Jason Y,

I believe there was some information posted on this site somewhere last couple of months by someone having a similar issue. They took the boat back to the Dealer and a technician discovered that the throttle linkage was not set up correctly so the peddle or hand throttle control (either way) would never reach the full throttle setting when attempting to do that. This sounds like a likely cause on a new rig? Certainly worth a second look by someone who can determine if that might be the problem. 58-59 is typical if you try under normal calm conditions. I've rarely seen and honest 60 mph (GPS) and never loaded with fuel and a passenger. I've said this before and because how well it worked for me I'll say it again. I have always used the SE Sport 300 hydrofoil unit that bolts to the cavitaion plate. It was the very first addition to my new rig Z-18 in 2017. All I can say is that if you don't use this addition you have no idea how much improvement in hole shot you can gain. It will not increase your speed at all and is not in the water at full throttle. I have used the device for a full 10 years now on two different rigs and it works! You will go on plane eaisly at under 3500 RPM. I have run my boat with 4 adults and a teenager on board with no problem getting on plane.

Tempest 23P 3/4 tank of fuel. Live well empty and just me in the boat.
Top end.JPG

I agree with Donald, as I wrote in another post, my 225 ProXS came with a 23P prop without the plugs in it, I realize I have more power, but the hole shot without the plugs is unbelievably quick. Mercury told me that the plugs in will hurt my hole shot so again "If it's not broke don't fix it" I have never put my plugs in, this 20'2" boat loaded nearly comes out of the hole shot on plane..

Only time I saw 60+ on my 2018 Z18 w/150 4S was when it was brand new with no fishing tackle or electronics on it and a Fury 24P prop. Honestly, I just don't think it's a 60 mph boat when loaded.

Latest posts

Back