2018 Z18 W/ 150 4-stroke (won't Get On Plane) Help!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Walker

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I am hoping gain some insight here. I have a brand new Z-18 (four months old) with the Mercury 150 four stroke with the 22p Tempest prop. Dual power poles are installed as well. I have been fishing alone since I bought the boat, however this past weekend I Captained a high school tournament and at the beginning of the day we were boat three, but ended up being the last boat out of the launch because with two kids (250 lbs) and myself, we couldn't get on plane. The live well was empty, and I had 20 gallons of fuel. The entire day I had to have the kids sit on the front deck to plane the boat out. Even then it took over 10 seconds to accomplish and top speed dropped from 53 to 47.

Please help.

Chris

Well it’s not boat size or hp issue. But it does sound like a motor issue. Afte4 it is on plane. Is the rpms up to normal wot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rpm max about 5200-5400 for me. Boat is currently at the dealership, they seem to think it's because of the powerpoles. They are confident this issue will be resolved. My fingers are crossed. I'll keep the forum updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'm curious too. My 2018 Z18 with the 150 4s has two Talons on it. It came with the Fury 24. I put a 6" jack plate on it at 3" experimenting with a Tempest 22 and 23 pitch. Still a slow hole shot...agonizingly slow with 2 people and any water in the live well. I also get porposing at anything less that 4000 RPM. Top speed with the 22 is 56 at 5600 RPM. Anyone tried a 4 blade prop???

Chris,

What's the latest on your issue. I guess my post got blocked because I mentioned a particular product or else I did something wrong and didn't get it posted - ha.

My dealer moved me down to a 19p. I have a rocket hole shot now with a top speed of 49MPH at 5500RPM with a full load, full live well, full fuel tank and fishing partner. Still no where near the advertised 60mph. Quite disappointing.

Yeah, I feel your frustration and I have a feeling that something is not quite right-- but I cant suggest anything. I will say that if you could get to the 54-57 range fully loaded, you would be where you should be. IMO 60 MPH is only accomplished under optimal conditons lightly loaded.

I'm curious too. My 2018 Z18 with the 150 4s has two Talons on it. It came with the Fury 24. I put a 6" jack plate on it at 3" experimenting with a Tempest 22 and 23 pitch. Still a slow hole shot...agonizingly slow with 2 people and any water in the live well. I also get porposing at anything less that 4000 RPM. Top speed with the 22 is 56 at 5600 RPM. Anyone tried a 4 blade prop???

Jeta330- If you would run the 22 or 23 with the SE SPORT 300 hydrofoil you would be impressed. Ive written about it in this forum already so I wont repeat all that good it does. This was the first improvement that I added when I got my 2017 Z-18. It works and doesnt look bad at all!

Chris, I'm puzzeled a bit that you can only reach 5500 RPM with a 19 pitch prop. Even loaded fully you should eaisly reach 58-5900 RPM with that prop. I'm no tech expert or mechanic but this situation would cause me to question if the mechnical throttle linkage on your rig is somehow adjusted a little short of a full open mechanical operation- if that makes sense to you?

I'm not certain what year model these instructions apply to so I'm not suggesting that you try to adjust anything here. these instructions below may not apply to you- but it may help you understand what I'm talking about - especially if you have the hotfoot or foot control throttle installed in your boat?

Copied from a thread in "Bass Resources" website:
Many have asked about how to adjust the throttle-cable and/or hotfoot:

1. Disconnect throttle cable from Anchor point at engine.

attachment.php
2. Confirm that engine can reach WOT by MANUALLY operating the throttle arm on side of engine.
attachment.php

3. Adjust throttle cable so that it holds ENGINE throttle arm FIMRLY against the IDLE STOP

attachment.php

4. Connect cable with attachment nut, snugging the nut down. BACK NUT OFF 3/4 turn (the black plastic washer should spin freely under the nut).

5. On the hotfoot, loosen jam nut for the WOT stop screw, and turn the screw WELL AWAY from the pedal.

6. Depress hotfoot to WOT position- have someone check to ensure WOT was reached at engine. HOLD HOTFOOT HERE.

7. Turn stop screw COUNTECLOCKWISE until it just contacts the pedal (pedal still at WOT position). Release pedal.

8. Turn stop screw 1/2 to ONE TURN FURTHER counterclockwise- hold it in place, and tighten the jam nut (this step helps to prevent throttle cable stretching).

9. Depress hotfoot firmly to WOT position. Verify engine reaching wide open throttle.

Call me crazy but I ordered a Trophy Plus 23P 4 bladed prop. We'll see what this does for the hole shot and top end. All the literature claims it's the best thing since the jelly worm. I'll know by Saturday...

OK, Put the Trophy Plus 23P on. It came with the 12mm plugs in it. I tried that and had a lot of prop slip. I changed it to the 7mm small plugs and it bogged down around 3500 RPM. I put the 9mm medium plugs in and it has great power out of the hole, about the same mid range performance as the Tempest 22P and top end is the same for the Tempest 23, Tempest 22 and Trophy 23... right at 56 GPS. Made several runs and it's pretty consistent. I may play around with the Tempest 23P again, change the plugs to the 12mm large ones and see what it does. It had the best mid range of all of them. BTW, I put the blowout ring on the Trophy before I ran it. There is no way it could hold without it on a 150 4S with that small barrel based on my findings with the PVS plugs.

It all seems to come down to weight/drag vs. thrust. Want more speed, add more horses without adding a lot of weight. Mine ran 61 brand new with no rods, no tackle, no electronics and all the other junk we store for a rainy day. I don't run mine at WOT except occasionally. I cruise 4000 to 4500 RPM and that seems to give me descent fuel economy. The best midrange was with the Tempest 23P. Just really suffers on hole shot when I add a fishing partner and bait in the livewell. I think I am getting all I can expect from 150 ponies...

Today I added the TH Hole Shot plate on my jack plate, put the large (12mm) plugs in the Tempest 23P prop and installed it and took her for a ride. Hole shot was amazing! Just popped right up on plane. Will certainly be a little slower with a passenger and full livewell. That was with me (250 lbs) and a full tank of gas. Trimmed out nice. You can see the top end in the picture. Just nudged 57 once, but steady just under that with full trim and about 5600 RPM. Midrange was perfect. 4000 RPM about 41 GPS, 4500 about 46 GPS etc. I didn't get any porpoise out of it at lower speeds either like I did with the Tempest 22P and Trophy 23P. So, the Fury 24P gets the top end, but the Tempest 23P is my best all around prop.

I'm still highly recommending the SE Sport 300 hydrofoil. I'll stake my reputation (ha) on that being an addition that will shock you as to its effectiveness.....
I believe you Larry and thanks for all your replies. I just wanted to see if I could find that happy place before I drilled the holes in the foot of my motor. I hear the clamps for the hydrofoil kinda suck.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back