2018 Z17

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmurph

Reaction score
Does anybody have a Z17? What do you like and dislike about the model? I just went to look at one for the second time and am getting close to pulling the trigger. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about the model yet. I do realize that it is the old Z6. I was very impressed with both front deck space and room in the cockpit, particularly for a boat this size. The boat seems much larger than 17' 4" / 90" beam.

I've ordered one, agreed there isn't much out there on them. There were two video reviews that were very favorable when I was in the decision phase and the fact my 2002 640lx served me well led me to pull the trigger. Although I've read mixed reviews on the subject, seems to me the Command Thrust option on the 115 is the way to go, I also wanted the Dual Console.

Just sold my 2013 Z-6 with a 115 pro XS which I had bought new and I can tell you it was a very nice boat indeed. It's got terrific storage and a huge casting deck for a 17' boat, you'll love it.

Just sold my 2013 Z-6 with a 115 pro XS which I had bought new and I can tell you it was a very nice boat indeed. It's got terrific storage and a huge casting deck for a 17' boat, you'll love it.
Thanks Wickedsmaht, the Z17 took a while to get here but its now in my garage!!! I appreciate the positive on the Z6/Pro XS 115, that's great news!

Madmurph, I just got the Z17 home from the dealer and it will be a bit before I get it out. Let me know if you have any specific questions. As wickedsmaht mentioned and I just learned, wow so much storage and there is a lot of front deck. I think it is standard fare these days but the recessed pedal is way cool!

A couple of great improvements from the 2013 are the NVT hull which is supposed to make an already great handling boat even better, new guardian live wells which are great if you're tournament fishing, trolling motor batteries were moved to the center of the rear compartment for better balance, a the hydraulic steering is standard on the new ones. And the trailer I believe was upgraded and tough-coated which is new in recent models. It would be hard to believe that there is a better fiberglass bass boat in that 17'4" to 17'6" class for the money.

I got a chance to get the boat out today, was in the 60's this afternoon with almost no winds. Spent a lot of time just going over everything and getting some run time on the new motor. I read both the manual for the break in procedure and also remembered the dealers advice on the subject. I combined the two a bit but I think one important thing is to always vary RPM's. Sine it was such a nice day and calm I got almost 3 hours on the motor today plus a little time in seat. Crazy big bowfin nailed my rapala when I was just checking things out, wasn't really expecting any hits. I also found out Irma has destroyed a lot of the west shore I fish. St Johns river is a challenge but its home. I do have plans to take this rig for some distant lakes, I just need to consider some long distance trailering. This is my first rig with radials which seems interesting in 13", these seem to bounce a bit more than bias.
I do agree with you wickedsmaht, great boat for the money, handles very well!

I'm Jealous for sure. Ice-out here is usually April <sigh>. St. Johns River eh, I hear that is quite a fishery for bass anglers. You're right about the radials, they do seem to bounce more than the STs on a single axle trailer but they ride nicer and the tread sure does last longer.

Hello Gentlemen,
Names Chris. I, like you were; am very close to pulling the trigger on a new Z-17. I just sold my 2004 Nitro NX 750 and my only hesitation is that I have yet to find any information or images of the new Z-17 with power poles or Minn Kota Talons mounted without a jackplate. Would you gentlemen know if these are options without a jackplate? Can they be installed? If so, do any of you have them? How much drag do they create on the water while taking off and/or running? Please post images if you have seen it. Thank you all and have a great day.

Chris

Hey Chris, as I'm sure you know, its not an option you can factory order. I don't have any experience with power poles but if there is anything you need measured or picture(s) of the boat, its right here in my garage. I'm real happy with the command thrust motor and dual console options and I also think the retracting rear tie downs were a nice option for the trailer too.

Hey Chris, as I'm sure you know, its not an option you can factory order. I don't have any experience with power poles but if there is anything you need measured or picture(s) of the boat, its right here in my garage. I'm real happy with the command thrust motor and dual console options and I also think the retracting rear tie downs were a nice option for the trailer too.

Brother I would love to see photos. What color did you go with? If you don't mind asking how much did you end up spending out the door? Did you keep the factory electronics or upgrade? I'm trying to justify spending the money on the side imaging units for the dash and bow but I had one on my old boat and honestly didn't feel comfortable using it. I know a shallow water anchor is a must for me in this Central Florida shallow water I just hope that sandwich bracket will fit. And the side console is a must as well. I don't know much about the difference in the command thrust and regular pro xs. Thank you for your reply and I look forward to those photos. Congrats man...

Hey Chris, here are a few from the other day on the water and then some from the garage showing the area around the starboard side of motor. The ladder is on the other side but let me know if you want pictures on that side.
I really didn't get many options on the boat other than the dual console and command thrust. The command thrust option changes the motor lower unit size and gear ratio to that used on a V6 size motor. This means a 2.38 gear ratio instead of the standard smaller lower unit with 2.07 gear ratio. CT also means you swing a V6 diameter sized prop. For the Z17 with the ProXS115, the CT runs a 3 blade SS 22P V6 diameter instead of a smaller diameter 4 blade SS prop. Mercury says the CT option provides faster planning, better handling, and more top speed in our style boat. $550 is the cost of the option and I said go on this one, don't really know if the above is true but I thought it looks cool with the bigger diameter prop/lower unit...
I went with PR54 color which is mostly white with blue stripes, I'm in Florida and just like white boats I guess.

I've been down to lake Kissimmee with my old boat, that was blast and hope to be back. Do you ever fish there, if so how has it been lately?

39021864425_3997d0d66d_h.jpg

39209916784_a3ccce96eb_b.jpg

39209917964_954060313f_b.jpg

39021859955_114a03d89a_b.jpg

25049077317_abc45d8137_b.jpg

25049079117_be4f92e5f7_b.jpg

25049080917_39370d739f_b.jpg

Thanks brother for the photos! I just left my local Nitro dealer and he had a Z18 in stock. I'm in love! I have built the boat on the nitro website and I have just one question left... Does anyone know what the upgraded trailer wheels look like? Are they nice enough to pay for the upgrade? I'd rather pay for it now than after I buy the boat.

Thanks Bill for all of the info on the command thrust. You boat is beautiful man! I can't wait for mine!

Yes I fish Kissimmee a lot, my family has a small place on Tiger Lake which connects to Kissimmee via a pretty long and curvy canal. If you haven't fished Tiger it is a hidden Gem! Nearly no hydrilla, tons of kissimmee grasslines with arrowhead reeds, buggy wips and pads. The key is anything black and blue, I buy black and blue senkos in bulk!

Next time you make is near the chain let me know! Hopefully Ill have the new boat by then and we can have a fish off!
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Awesome Chris - glad you have made your decision. I really like the Z17. Concerning the wheels, I didn't do the upgrade and mine look like the ones you posted but painted gray & no center cap (same as website pics). I did see the upgraded wheels on two Z17's that were at a dealer in Gainesville last year, just neither was dual console or colors I liked. Unfortunately I checked and I don't have any pictures of those wheels. Regardless, these trailers have the super lube hubs regardless, another reason I like Nitro/Trailstar. I wish I could even describe the wheels to you. At first I didn't really think I liked them but looking again I might have upgraded as the standard wheels really are plain. Also - that's awesome about Kissimmee, when I do have trip planned I'll let you know well in advance. Black and Blue are not bad here too. I do also remember tossing a blue/chart spinner bait that worked well there along with a few top waters too. Man I want to get back there!!!

Pretty sure that this is the 14" upgrade Wheel option for the Z series currently, to include the Z17. The 18" black wheels are only available with the Fiberglass Fender option with the Z-18 and up if I'm not mistaken.

upload_2018-2-1_11-4-29.png

I went with the Tandem Trailer upgrade w/ spare and the wheels pictured above for my 2018 Nitro Z-18. Love the fact that Nitro trailers and wheels got an upgrade these past few years. This is my 3rd Nitro and the trailers and wheels needed some love from my 2013. The trailers were my only real issue with my previous Nitro boats.

Gent's the papers are signed. I gave my down payment and signed the papers today and ordered my Z18. The dealer couldn't give me an exact date on when it will be here but it's looking like 5 to 7 weeks. I hope that is all, i'm missing the spawn here in central Florida. They are already on bed. On another note... Does anyone have any experience with the nitro bass pro gift card for new purchases? The nitro website advertise a $1000 bass pro gift care for new purchases however my dealer couldn't answer any questions I had on the matter. I'm just wondering when and how I can expect to obtain that incentive? It will definitely come in handy with necessities for the new boat. Thanks again...

"Welcome to the Nitro family Chris" :cool: - I'm sure it will serve you well for a good long time!

The 5-7 weeks is usually from the time they start building it, or at least that has been my experience. As for the BPS gift card promotion, your purchase qualifies so not sure why there was any mystery about that for the sale person. That said, once the Hull # is generated & sent to the bank, which is usually about 2 weeks from finish, and things are finalized - that is when you can expect to receive that. I think there is a $200 clothing credit too in addition to the $1000 card so have them check on that too when they find out the date it goes into the building stage.

Don't forget to include some details about your purchase too... it's a long winter for some of us that can't already go fishing, so living vicariously through others is all we have for a bit ;). I'm sure we all look forward to some pics too when it arrives!

Thank you so much for the information and reply. This forum is invaluable! I will definitely be posting photographs and updates as I get them. I cannot wait!

Gent's the papers are signed. I gave my down payment and signed the papers today and ordered my Z18. The dealer couldn't give me an exact date on when it will be here but it's looking like 5 to 7 weeks. I hope that is all, i'm missing the spawn here in central Florida. They are already on bed. On another note... Does anyone have any experience with the nitro bass pro gift card for new purchases? The nitro website advertise a $1000 bass pro gift care for new purchases however my dealer couldn't answer any questions I had on the matter. I'm just wondering when and how I can expect to obtain that incentive? It will definitely come in handy with necessities for the new boat. Thanks again...

Chris, congrats man!!! That is awesome. This spring is nuts for me as I have some health issues I am sorting out and still working but if I can get down to those lakes in your area end Feb/early march I'll send ya an invite for a ride!!!
Concerning the $1000 gift card, I had no idea of that incentive when I signed. Then a few weeks after delivery I get a FedEx delivery exception on my door, something I must sign for as no one was home at the time. I signed the docs to receive it next day and guess what - a FedEx package with the $1000 Bass Pro Gift card and two other discount cards - friggin wow when I wasn't even expecting it. I just had the boat out second time and did my 'shake down', making a list of all the goodies I need to order as I was going along. Short answer: they just FedEx it to you!!!

Glad for you both :) I am sure those cards will go to good use. My boat is still in progress (day 11) so gonna be a while yet, but I did pickup the 2 Garmin EchoMap Plus 93sv units from BPS this weekend during their triple crown event, so got a $100 gift card and $63 dollars in points right away when I bought them and they come with free installation. Should have a pile of gift cards by time this thing arrives o_O

Bill Willette, can you or another Z17 owner do me a huge favor please? I still haven't made my final decision. The in stock Z17 is two hours away and I am looking for a couple of measurements for comparison purposes. I am looking for the following measurements to save me the two hour drive:

1) Length of the rear deck down the center from edge of carpet by the cockpit to edge of carpet by the splash well area.

2) Length of front deck down the center from the forward most edge of the recessed trolling motor area to the edge of carpet by the cockpit.

3) Width across the front deck from edge of carpet to edge of carpet measured directly in front of consoles.

Latest posts

Back