2013 Trarga

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Greenia

Reaction score
Looking for some input on Tracker Boats, I am looking at the 2013 Targa V18WT, Have read some horror stories about the hulls having problems,( Cracks , splits, dents, etc.) and how cheaply they are made.I had my mind made up to buy until I read the horror stories. There must be some Tracker owners on this site that can give me a little info on this subject. Would like to hear from some actual owners. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

I bought a 2012 Targa V18 WT in April of 2012 after much research. I bought it at the original Bass Pro store in Springfield, MO. I know several people that work there, at the factory that builds them in Lebanon, and at the trailer factory in Ozark. I have the 150 Mercury Fourstroke. I too was concerned about stories of hull failure and welds cracking. I believe those issues are several years old. They have made many changes in the design and manufacturing processes since then. I love the boat and highly recommend the 150 Fourstroke. I also recommend getting the hydraulic steering and the trailer surge brakes from the factory. I have about 150 hours on the engine so far. I fish many different lakes in the Ozarks. I also took the boat to Ontario for 2 weeks in September and fished for walleye on 4 or 5 different lakes up there. The boat has met every challenge and exceeded my expectations. Absolutely no hull problems. Good Luck! Targa

I also purchased the 2012 v18 wt with the 150 four stroke. Used it last summer on Lake St. Clair, with the new beam I call it the little big boat. Going from a 225 EFI this new 150 just sips gas, I wasn't sure the gas gauge was working. Handles 2-3 footers with ease, you can back this boat down and still stay on plane. Can't wait for spring!!

Gibson

I have a close friend who has the 18 now for 2 years. Full canvas with the 115hp Merc. Although he doesn't use it much he likes it. I have a 18 Tundra a 2007 and I only hope the fit and finish issues I've had are resolved by now. If I had a list I'd have to hold it over my head and stand on a chair to keep it from touching the ground. 2012 was the first year I didn't have to replace something that rattled loose and fell off or into the Bliges. I also recommend hydrolic steering and surge brakes. On the other hand the hull was as advertized and is amazing in rough water. The Tracker dealerhip here is awesome to work with so a lot of how issues are resolved depends on the dealership so good luck on your decision.

fatrap

My 2 cents worth goes to, yes, the Targa is for me a great boat. I have a 2012 18 WT w/ 150 4 stroke. I fish the mighty Columbia River and combat big boat (ship) wakes all the time with no problems so far. Love the 4 stroke won't go back to 2 stroke. Recommend the larger 80# Terrova with the iPilot. The only way to go!

Tom

Do you fish for walleyes? I've fished Roosevelt resevoir in WA it,s an awesome fishery. I get up that way ever other year. Suspose to go this year again. Good luck with the Targa. fatrap

Here is one of the articles that scared me :

Failed Tracker Hull

I have yet to see TMG charge any customer for an authorized warranty repair, including shipping. Personally, I have sent boats back for warranty and had them returned with shipping covered by the factory. I won't address the copied complaint as the holes in it are too numerous to tie up the bandwidth on, but I will add that the '98 Targa 18/150 EFI that I got for my BIL still works great, rides well, and runs like a scalded dog. The carpet is wore and needs replaced and I've re-mounted two seats, but I'm sure that has more to do with his size and idea of maintenance, or rather lack of. TMG makes a bunch of boats and finding complaints are relatively easy. The percentage of them based against the amount of hulls laid are incredibly small. I'm sure if you asked around someone would complain about how they don't like Nacho Cheese Doritos, but it wouldn't stop me from buying them or any other Doritos brand due to the enormity of their sales in volume. Such is true in so many ways with the Targa hull you are inquiring about. Thousands have been produced with very few complaints in comparison. Another thing to consider when reading the railings of internet complaints is that there are always three sides to the story; the complainer, the factory, and the truth. Good luck! ;)

Steve,

I just bought the Targa V-18 combo with the 150 optimax last August and I love it. Before that I had a 2009 Tracker V-15 sc and ran it in a lot of rough water and never had any problems with it. My only suggestion would be to power up to a 150.

Good Luck.

My 2003 targa 18SC with a 115 4Stroke..Still running great.

I've had it on BIG water--Mille Lacs Lake in MN-- 50 miles accross..Big rollers .

the only problem..The tall free board..Wind does make it hard to hold on a brush pile.

Love it

Rick

Hey Dan, this came directly from the Tracker warranty page. In the event repair must be made at the purchasing dealer's location, a factory authorized repair center or at the TRACKER factory,

transportation to and from the applicable repair center shall be at the owner's expense and not at the expense of TRACKER. This dosen't sound right to me. Any comments ?

I believe what you're referencing means they are not coming to you to get the boat for repair. It is up to the customer to deliver the warranted item for repair. Part of any claim authorized is where the authorized repair is to be done. When/if Tracker takes full responsibility and decides to make the repair at the factory they handle that through the submitting dealer. If it is a co-op repair (part factory and part owner/dealer) different transportation requirements may be required. All I can verify is during my time with the company that any factory deemed warranty repair to be done at the factory was 100% taken care of by the factory through the submitting dealer. Things may have changed, but the above is pretty standard throughout the industry. Remember, the dealer is the key to all of this, so shop for a dealer as much or more as you shop for a boat or brand. Good luck! ;)

I have a 2011 trarga with 115 hp and have not had any issues with it, and I use it a lot for fishing and tubing with grand kids.:)

I would like to thank everyone for your time and efforts to give me info. Still not sure what I am going to do, I like the looks of the boat alot, oh and by the way hydraulic/tilt steering is now a standard feature. If I decide on this boat will go 150hp 4 stroke for sure. If anyone else has any comments I would appreciate it. Thanks, Gibson...

I purchased a 2011 Targa V18 w/ 150 merc and 9.9 merc kicker. I tournament fish and the boat travels many hundreds of miles in a season. Boat has held up great. I hammer the boat in rough water. Haven't found any negative yet with the expection of going through tires on my trailer yearly, but I travel 1000's of miles a year with the boat. I would highly recommend the Targa. Go with 150hp though. You will always find people with negative responses about Trackers.

Latest posts

Back