2012 z6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob pattison

Reaction score
I have seen all these coments on 2011 nitro z6 on stearing and hole shot problems.Anyone know on 2012 models are having same problems.The hole shot issue appeatrs to be an easy adjust but stearing not easy fix or is it.

My 2011 Z6 rips out of the hole, very simple to set up. Also, my single cable standard steering is fine, torques a little under take off but thats to be expected. I think most of the steering is simply set up. You can rest your mind at ease very easily by either ordering No Feedback Steering or Hydraulic as poart of the package at substantial savings to adding it later.

I think also what people are missing is the Z6 is the smallest of the fleet and probably almost considered "entry level" in it's stock form, offering an affordable package. Upgrades are personal butalmost unlimited, just like motor cars etc.

Thank you good to know as i just traded in my 1995 160tf rick clunn with a 50 hp stroke for the 2012 z6 left pretty. much stock.Then started reading post after i ordered and started going oh------.But to me a big up grad im thinking baby steps next will be z7 then z8 and so on ha ha.

To me it was a massive upgrade as well, probably won't see another for 10 years or so. If I had my time a gain, there's probably 3 things I would change.

Hydraulic Steering, just because it's soooooo smooth.

Larger Trolling Motor, these boats are heavy in the wind and a 12 volt eats the battery.

Highest quality side scan units I could afford.

The boat is plenty fast enough for me, heaps of room, good to tow and store in the garage.

Sorry 1 more thing Nitro should change, the sleeves in the Rod Locker are too small in diameter and won't accomodate spin rods, only casting rods because the first guie on a spin rod is larger than the hole in the locker.

You'll love yours.

I recently purchased a new 2011 Z6 after looking at them for a year. The first thing I did was to replace the middle seat bottom cushion with a carpeted step. My wife thought I had lot my mind taking apart a new boat. Wish Nitro would offer a step instead of the seat, like in the Z7.

I have read the reviews and expected steering issues with the single cable system. My dealer installed a small wedge to the right side of the skeg and the steering problem is fixed. It is about 1/4" wide and 3" long aluminum. Once I got over the pain of having holes drilled, I am pleased with the response. Much cheaper than the power steering option. Now I am trying to fine tune the prop for a better hole shot. I moved from a 16 ft Stratos with a 90 hp Johnson, so it has taken some adjustment. I'm not thrilled with the bottom end torque of the Mercury Pro XS 115, but it is a smooth running engine.

Aggie ive been reading about the plugs o the prop for adjust such issues you are talking about with the bottom end torque.Worth a look and id be interested in possibley seeing a photo of this wedge set up you are discribing at some point if at all possible.As that seems to have helped the stearing issue and thank you for your info.

i love my 2011 z6 , for the hole shot problems just pull one of the PVS plugs completly out and your hole shot is great. as far as the steering... i have never really had any problems, just remember its not hydrolic steering so you dont want to let go of the steering wheel. overall i love my boat.

thommo59

i upgraded my TM to a 24v 75lb. i think its a little too much for the boat. if you need more TM you should look into a 24v system.

:DGreg thanks for info pvs seems to be great set up and stering wait to see could be different for different people im feeling it will be ok thanks.

Thanks Greg,

I agree, I should have gone 24volt on the TM, that will happen when I replace the existing one. For my holeshot I have 1 plug removed as well and it helped alot. But, I can't reccommend highly enough an SE 300 for the cav plate. This was a remarkable difference, instant lift, way faster holeshot, more stable, slower plane speeds and way less dropping in the ass when slowing quickly. Best $80 I ever spent!!

the no drilling is a good thing , i might have to check into that.

This board (and Thommo especially) has helped me ALOT with my 2011 Z6, even before I bought it. I went with the 24v/75# MotorGuide (but had to fix the breakaway feature), opted for Hydraulic steering, the SE 300 whale-tail, etc, etc.

The Z6 is the perfect sized bass boat for me, my family (and my boat port). Jumps up on plane, 52 +- mph, flat running, smooth and dry. I had to pull off the rub rails and reseal the "shoebox" seams but it was worth the effort. (double check before you buy).

I love my Z6!!:D

Just bought my 2011 Z-6 last week off the showroom! (First bass boat). Finally got it in the water last Saturday! I could not be more pleased (or impressed)! The 115 Optimax XS is amazing! Was a little worried about it not being a big enough motor, but was pleasently surpised! Completed 3 hours of the "break in" process! Per owners manual, was only able to go up to 4500rpms, and could not use trim yet! At that throttle, boat did 45mph with me and the wife!!! What should I expect at 5300rpms with trim? Love being a new Nitro owner (even if it is the Z6)! Guess you gotta crawl before you walk! lol Looking forward to talking to you folks! :D:D:D:D:D

Bob,

Send me a PM if you still want to see the pictures of the skeg wedge. I am very please since this and the SE300 were added. Also, I am running with one prop plug removed and two at 1/2 plugged and it works great.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back