2011 Tracker Targa 18 Combo Review

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis D

Reaction score
I launched my new Tracker Deep-v 18 ft Targa Combo, and everything worked as advertised.

Opti-Max 150 ran like a champ during break-in period, no problem pulling a water skier after break-in, 200 lb skier on one ski. Ski pole is very sturdy.

The 24v trolling motor lasted 3 days for trolling a couple hours a day without a recharge, the recharge is a long process the on-board system is not a rapid charge.

Watch when filling up the gas tank, big splashback when tank gets full.

Steering is very hard ( 2 hands required to steer ) It almost looks like the cables

and gas line get in the way a little ( just guessing )

The wide gunnels are nice, but there is only one step pad on each side, needs at least

2 or 3, ( anyone know where to buy one? )

Seems to be a shortage of versatrack accessories out there.

Would be nice if they included guides on the trailer, but it did work fine.

Maybe it is just me but when you look down the side of the boat you can see little

weld images where it looks like they welded the stringers to the side of the boat, you don't notice from a few feet away.

Lots of storage space, and live wells worked well.

The cover that I ordered worked well, fitted nice, my one complaint is that it

should have a sleeve for the ski pole, it is a hassle to take out the pole everytime

you want to cover it up.

you can get the non skid pads at west marine, and most atomotive stores.

as far as the ski pole goes i would be uncomfortable trailering with it in any way.

if it ever came loose that thing is one heavy missle hazard.

us guys with bass boats have to remove our front pedestals to put our covers on.

i personaly dont find it all that troublesome to pull it as i'm straping the boat to the trailer.

as for your steering thats cable steering for ya.

as for welds you are correct the cross braces and stringers are welded to the hull internaly.

that last word is very important because you need to know none of the internal welds are warrantied for more than the first few years, only the external welds are lifetime.

as far as the versa track any thing you can attach to a 3/8 carrige bolt will attach to the versa track system.

sounds like you up for some fun times this summer congrats.

Thanks Joe, do you know if the steering tension is adjustable?

it's not adjustable.

your most likely feeling steering tourque. that 150 opti is alot of horse power

check your tourque tab and see if adjusted properly.

or you could be overtriming?

Joe,

I have a 2007 Targa 175 Sport. I found the same issue with the steering tension as well. However, the tension did seem to disipate a little as the motor was trimmed up once on plane. Also try lubricating the steering rails on the motor (proper lubricant as per owners manual). :)

I've got a 2011 Targa WT with the 150 Optimax, what prop are you running? What hole is your motor on? Did your boat use more oil during break in, I've already used 1/2 a gallon and my gas guage hasn't even moved yet. Motor seems a little low on mine, it's as low as it will go. Don't know if that is the first hole or last hole. Trim guage seems off also as trim only gets just above the first line on guage before it blows out.

I have a 2011 with the 115 Optimax. After only a dozen trips my hull paint peeled off on both sides last Sept and had it at BPS for almost 2 months while being repainted at my expense. I took my beauty out for the first time since September yesterday and the water in fuel chamber alarm sounded causing us to return home. I did as the manual instructed but it's still sounding. Any ideas anyone? I added 14 gals before I took her out, topped it off, by mistake. I know, should have had the Sta-bill in it during the winter, so now I have a service repair on my hands.

Also, Dennis, which cover did you get? The first one I bought was too short on the sides.

I bought the custom cover from Tracker and it has been a dream

Dennis I fought the steering issue for five years and before I had hydraulic steering installed. $1300 and it solved the problem except paying for it. I was told by a Tracker salesman that the boat should have never been sold with standard steering but Tracker does this to keep prices down. My three bank charger requires overnight charging if I run it hard for an entire day. This happens a lot on the South Dakota reservoirs that I frequent if I'm not using my kicker. My Tundra has those little weld spots it's no big thing. It's an all welded hull after all. Words of advice. If you don't have a spare prop get one yesterday. If you don't have a spare tire and rim get one last week. I would have been bit in the ass by each of these had I not had one. Nice things to add is a marine radio/with weather channel one that slaves into the gps on your depthfinder is slick. Mine has a red button that will broadcast location on emergency channel if need be. Where I fish there is no docks to pull up to if you get in trouble. You can go 30 miles or more and see maybe a tin shed and some cattle on the bank which is lined with big rocks, rattlesnakes and miles of nothing but miles to find the nearest road. Another slick item to have is a collapsible boat hook, I use mine more than I ever thought I would and a 50 foot tow rope(not a ski rope) with a large carabiner.
I have unfortunately learned the above by the school of hard knocks. While your at it. On the Optimax find out the location of the engine fuse box and the manual release screw on the engine trunk. I had to find these the hard way in the dark on a boat ramp in the middle of nowhere.
fatrap

Latest posts

Back