2011 Targa V18WT trailer tongue cracked

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantammy2

Reaction score
i've got a 2011 Targa and just noticed a couple of weeks ago that the swing tongue welds are cracked/cracking. has anyone else run in to this issue? and while i realize the trailer is 11 years old, should this really happen?
is this something tracker should take care of? or should i not waste the time with them and just find someone to fix the welds? the 'crack 2' pic, the crack starts at the top center of the weld then veer's to the left.

Brian

Attachments

• swing tongue crack.jpg
    swing tongue crack.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • tongue crack 2.jpg
    tongue crack 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
i found an old thread from a person that stated they had about 1 inch of vertical play in the tongue. i have always had the same issue with this trailer, which i assumed was normal. i purchased the boat brand new and its always been this way.

I've had cracks in welds on my previous trailer at a different location and took care of it myself, definitely was out of warranty for a dealer to repair.
I would find a local welder to replace the tube and put a fresh new weld on both sides of the trailer. He might just weld the bolt side, if it has the smallest crack. Good thing you saw it now and not have it break away on the road.

If you have vertical play, check to see if pin is thick enough, might need a larger pin or bolt.

this is the original pin and fits the holes perfectly on the 'trailer side'. original pin.jpg
the pin side has the larger crack.

Yes it looks as if the pin fits tight. I would get with a welder and see if he can get a new tube to fit the pin and weld it in place and be on the road. I would primer and paint before getting it wet. Paint inside tube as well.

Just so i'm on the same page, and i think i am, this is the tube you're referring too. you saying to cut this tube off, (of both sides) and reweld new tubes?
versus grinding the cracks out on both sides and rewelding? could that be an option?

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes that is the tube I am referring too.

The crack happened because of metal fatigue, the constant pulling from towing. It could happen again right next to the weld you used to fix the crack.

Yes I would replace the tube. Inspect the plates the pins go through as well. Look for evidence of failure there too.

I would call Tracker and send them pics of this! As far as I'm concerned this is a manufacturing defect100%. They obviously did not do a pull test on any of those welds at the factory. There was not penetration of the welds for them to break where/how they did. If tracker does not repair it find a local trailer manufacture near you and have them repair it. Then report this to Home | NHTSA

Latest posts

Back