2011 Nitro Z-6 Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbrew92

Reaction score
i recently bought a 2011 Nitro Z-6 with the 115 Mercury Optimax Pro XS that had only been in the water 4 times. Took it out for the first time and the steering is a real safety hazard by pulling so hard to the right. I've read where this is common on the year models because of the lack of a no feedback steering system. Is there one available to just change out at the helm or does the entire system have to be replaced?

First try moving the trim tap to the right 3 positions. Run the boat and see if it needs more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've owned and driven other bass boats and it's more of a steering tension issue. Even out of the water the motor will fall to right with no effort on it. From what I've read it's a common issue on the boat just trying to figure out if just the helm can be replaced with a no feedback part or the whole system have to be done.

Had a 2011 wow right turn Clyde
2013 came with anti feed back changed the boat handling completely. Definitely change out with antifeean back steering .before you do are you considering putting on a jackplate I would do that first then the steering cables

Had a 2011 wow right turn Clyde
2013 came with anti feed back changed the boat handling completely. Definitely change out with antifeean back steering .before you do are you considering putting on a jackplate I would do that first then the steering cables

I had thought about a jack plate but with the steering so bad I wanted to get it sorted out first. I was hoping there was maybe a way to just change the steering wheel helm part out with a no feedback part. Seriously considering installing hydraulic if I have to change everything anyway. That's what's on my one of my other bass boats. May bite the bullet and do a jack plate at the same time. The steering as it is now is a definite safety issue it snaps right so bad.

i recently bought a 2011 Nitro Z-6 with the 115 Mercury Optimax Pro XS that had only been in the water 4 times. Took it out for the first time and the steering is a real safety hazard by pulling so hard to the right. I've read where this is common on the year models because of the lack of a no feedback steering system. Is there one available to just change out at the helm or does the entire system have to be replaced?

9/0
I bought a Z6 Nitro a few years back and had the same problem. I called the factory and they had me return it to Baltimore where they checked it. They agreed and wanted to install a steering assist. Apparently there are two types. One is called a
4.2 Helm(?) they would do this for free and the other is a Hydraulic steering system (cost to me was ~400). I got them to agree to install the hydraulic. Boat works perfectly now. Great fix but took a lot of DISCUSSION to get it right.

9/0
I bought a Z6 Nitro a few years back and had the same problem. I called the factory and they had me return it to Baltimore where they checked it. They agreed and wanted to install a steering assist. Apparently there are two types. One is called a
4.2 Helm(?) they would do this for free and the other is a Hydraulic steering system (cost to me was ~400). I got them to agree to install the hydraulic. Boat works perfectly now. Great fix but took a lot of DISCUSSION to get it right.
Ok thanks for the advice, I've got in contact with them about the problem. They said they're aware of those years having the issue but I'm not sure yet if they're going to fix it.

Latest posts

Back