2008 Triton Explorer 18

• Thread starter Teri C. [URL]http://www.boattrader.com/listing/200
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Deal or no deal? (yes I am bored today)

2008 Triton Explorer 18 (18'6")

115 Mercury Optimax (warranty until 2013)

24v 71lb Motorguide

Lowrance GPS in dash

Lowrance FF up front

Custom Cover

Swing tongue on trailer

$10,000 (MSRP on 2009 after rebate is $20,995 w/o a few things this has)

WBT angler selling cuz she won another boat.

Pros:

Bigger than what I have now

Moving from 90hp to 115hp and have warranty until 2113

Has rod lockers for up to 7 foot rods

Has onboard charger

Has GPS in dash

Has upgraded 24V trolling motor

Fits in my garage

Could pull me on tube/wakeboard

Cons:

Not a tournament boat

Not a fish and ski

Would have 2 boats until I sell my Skeeter

What I have now:

2005 Skeeter SX 170 (16'8")

90hp Yamaha

55lb 12V trolling motor

2 Lowrance Fish Finders

Trailer Barely fits in garage - had to rip off trim

no swing tongue

Here is the link to show pictures of the 2009 I called on today. This one is the same except a few more features like GPS and it's red with black bottom.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-TRITON-18-Explorer-93523268

Sounds like a nice package. For the money it sounds like a heck of a deal. I looked it up and boy does it look like our old boats!

Have you looked at the Z-7? Mine is a bit wider than our old boats, and maybe a foot or so longer with the tongue folded.

It would be cool if you could find a couple to look at that you could see how they fit! Good luck on the decision.

I am thinking this is a REALLY good price as I paid $9500 for my 2005 Skeeter this summer.

Rick, only reason it's not a tournament boat is the small engine. Would be fine for club tourneys and such but I would get blown away on the WBT tour although I did fish out of a jon boat this year.

I would love to have a Z7 but it doesnt fit in the garage.

10k is damn cheap.But depends on what you want.I just sold an 04 champion 193dc with yam 200 for 18k and it was in new condition.It was 19'3" and thats about as small as i would go for a tournament boat.same goes for a 200hp.just my 2cents,and yes 8in makes a difference on a bass boat in rough water!lol

Sorry to hear the Z-7 won't fit, I am lucky to have a shop to park mine in. Saw a nice Procraft on Texas Fishing Forum, it is a 185 so it probably will not fit either. Bummer.

For the price, try the Triton, save some of your cash and see how it works out, then if after a few months, trade up to what will fit.

I'll make someone a heck of a deal on a Skeeter. :D

The Triton sounds like a sweet rig and should suit your requirements to a "T". If you can swing it, then move the bug out, you'd be sitting sweet for a couple years, should you change your mind again. :rolleyes::lol:

Good luck whichever way you go! ;):D

OK so HP makes it a non-tourny. But you already said you were not going to use it in a trouny, so one less draw back.

Although I think Mark is right, UNDER POWERED.

I agree with an 18' boat having at least a 150hp but I owned a Nitro 188 fish and ski with a 115 and for me, I thought it was fine. Triton basically took the TR186 and made it lighter and put in less features to hit a lower price point. I believe the Explorer weighs 300lbs less than the TR186 so the maximum horsepower fell to a 115.

I agree on the underpowered part for sure. The "explorer" series is Tritons low cost line and the 115 is actually the max motor on the 18' hull. I suspect they did that to keep costs down as well as cutting other features that are standard on a TR series Triton.

Teri I believe If you wait, In January they will be cheaper and You Might get a better deal.....JR

The HP is maxxed out on this according to Teri....

If you like it, get it. Personally I would just get a 20 footer with a 225 :) oh wait. I already have that!

Check the live well size. If is from the lower end of the line, it may have smaller wells than the tourney ready line.

Youre in the big time now. You need the biggest and best wells to keep all those hawgs fresh at the weigh in.:)

Steve

For what it's worth, is it a deal? For that boat for that price, I say yes. Is it what you want, thats up to you? WBT on the Pro side no, as a fishing/sport boat yes. If you are thinking of turning Pro in the next 2 years again I would say no. If you just want a better fishing platform then yes? Boats don't catch fish people do..

BF

Latest posts

Back