2008 Mercury Optimax Vibration

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldDude

Reaction score
We bought a 2008 Nitro 189 Sport with a Mercury Optimax 115 a few months back. We have been noticing a vibration in the motor at idle speed while moving and slightly above... say to 5 or 6 mph. It seems to be getting worse. It doesnt vibrate unless in gear. Does anyone have any ideas where to even begin looking?

It's at just above idle speed. Idle speed is about 700.

I've checked the mounts and they are tight. I can't find any play with anything anywhere.

Prop is tight. Not loose or damaged.

Thank you for your input.

I'm out of ideas on this one. If the prop shaft was bent slightly- you could see that when you spin the prop looking straight on to if from behind. just a fraction off would set up vibration.

I don't think it gets worse, just seems like it because you are now tuned into it

Thank you for the reply. I found some no on that last night. It puts my mind at ease a bit.

I was worried. It's about my luck to buy something then immediately start spending big money on it. I was picturing a bad lower unit or something.

Latest posts

Back