2008 Mercury Optimax 115 just died

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced everything in the fuel system... pick up in tank, line from tank to primer, line from primer to bulb, primer bulb, filter, cleaned tank, rebuilt diaphragm pump.... then it started working ok. Im still not sure what it was.

Must have been a combination of several failed parts instead of just one. Enjoy getting back to fishing.

Tracker valve?

Have you replaced the fuel filter after the changing out fuel lines?

low pressure fuel pump?

kink in fuel line some where? I had this once.

Last night my wife and I were fishing. We were in a no wake zone at an idle and the motor just died. It wouldn't immediately restart. We fished some then the motor started, sputtered and died again. Sounded like a fuel issue. I checked the fuel bulb and it wasn't firm like it has always been in the past. We trolled to the ramp, but thank God it started and loaded with no problems. Now I'm worried and hesitant to take it to anywhere bigger than our local lake.

Any ideas? Because it started and loaded Im thinking its got junk in the fuel. Maybe a new filter.

Its a 2008 Nitro 189 Sport with the Mercury Optimax 115. We just bought it in December 2020. We have had it on the lake at least 6 times a month since we bought it and it always runs great.
First add a clear glass filter just before the primer bulb...
Then purchase a new primer bulb and water to see if fuel "Zipps" thru the glass filter, if not pull the valve that comes up the the tank so there is nothing to restrict fuel from tank.
This solved my problem...
Also make sure your starting battery is keeping 12.5 volts because Optimax has to have a Fully Charged Battery

Latest posts

Back