2007 Stratos 176 XT

• Thread starter Teri C. [URL]http://www.stratosboats.com/modelIntr
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be. Add in what it takes to handle a much bigger motor, then add the cost of the bigger motor, and you might be looking at a price equivalent to Nitro's 17'6" entry.

I have wondered the same thing - where did they cheap out? Even my 16'4" Nitro 640LX is rated for 90HP and it's 14" shorter.

No offense to people who own Stratos boats...I'd rather own a Nitro.

Just a cent's worth:unsure:

One console and small engine. Yeah, that's pretty much it. They likely also figure that the first time 'glass' buyer, will get this - like it - and move up in a few years. Also, they take a big bite of the Aluminum market with this type of boat. Compare to a 'same size' tin Tracker.

Which would you probably get?

IMHO.

Tex

Hey TT - even with the price, I'd probably still get the tin. I just find it more durable for river fishing. Tin seems to hold its looks better too. I know there are drawbacks (blowing around more), but its worth it to me. In fact, when I get ready to upgrade to a bigger bass boat, I'm seriously thinking of the Xpress line (or hopefully Tracker will have a 19+ tin bass boat?) :D

Jim,

I have been looking real hard at Xpress boats for about the last year. It's almost a certain that's what my next boat will be.

A 17' tin boat with a 135 Merc on it should scream. :eek: The 19' with a 200 will hit some scary speeds.

Tracker's HP ratings are nowhere near that.

Steve

Steve, I suggest you do some homework on the speed, I understand that the tin just isn't as good on the high end performance end. Great boats, but if it is speed you want, this isn't the material.

Hey Berry!

Thanks for the heads up. Like Steve, I've been looking at the high performance tins for a fair bit. Lots of improvements on the higher end stuff with boat and fishing mags agreeing about their better capabilities at high speeds. Heck, even had a board member with a 19' Xpress take me out last season for a high speed run up and down the Potomac. Trust me when I say that boat could fly!

What's REALLY killing me is that there was a guy up in Maryland recently selling a 2005 19' Xpress with a 200hp Yammie for $16,500!! And that's WITH all the bells and whistles. Timing sucks, because if this were just a season or two later, I'd be all over that. Too bad it already sold.

I crawled all over a new Stratos 167 XT at my local dealer when I was having them do a tune up recently. The boat is nicely made, well laid out but looks REALY funny with a 50hp on the back of a fiberglass boat like that!!! LOL

I think it realy comes down to choice tin vs glass. The Tracker 157 TXW is the same price before going out the door ($12,995), the Tracker is wider by 5 inches, and 5 inches longer, but the stratos does have a nice "glass finished look". Stratos doesn't post performance so I don't know how it performs top end with the same engine, but i'd venture to guess the Tracker with the Revolution hull will handle bigger chop/waves better.

someone buy one of each this year and come back next summer with numbers and reviews!!! LOL

I crawled all over a new Stratos 167 XT at my local dealer when I was having them do a tune up recently. The boat is nicely made, well laid out but looks REALY funny with a 50hp on the back of a fiberglass boat like that!!! LOL

I think it realy comes down to choice tin vs glass. The Tracker 157 TXW is the same price before going out the door ($12,995), the Tracker is wider by 5 inches, and 5 inches longer, but the stratos does have a nice "glass finished look". Stratos doesn't post performance so I don't know how it performs top end with the same engine, but i'd venture to guess the Tracker with the Revolution hull will handle bigger chop/waves better.

someone buy one of each this year and come back next summer with numbers and reviews!!! LOL
Necro thread revival :)
I bought a 2007 Stratos 176XT in 2017 - The original 60 hp 4 stroke Mercury had less than 30 hours on it and when I went to license it, the hull had never even been registered. The fellow that bought it new, was elderly and had health problems etc. Basically a new , ten year old rig. Great boat, only complaints are it's slow to get on plane and it has no re-boarding ladder. The top speed was gps clocked at 38 mph with the livewells/ 26 gallon gas tank full, 2 old fishermen on full feed ( about 500 lbs before lunch) 3 lead acid batteries and a full compliment of fishing gear . Conditions were smooth as glass and I had just ceramic coated the hull. Oddly enough with the livewells empty and just myself on board it actually slows down ( losing prop depth??) to about 34 mph.
Tons of storage, good build quality and a fishing platform that is very forgiving of the movements of heavy footed fishermen are strengths. The deck stays dry up to about 12- 15 mph winds, beyond that you have to take care not to face the transom into the waves.
My friend bought a tracker 175 pro guide the same year with the same 60 hp Merc. It tops out at about 28 mph. He was a little shocked about 2 things after riding in the Stratos 1. How much faster it was than his. 2. How quiet it was compared to the aluminum rig he has. Not sure what his weighs but mine is 1750 lbs counting the trailer across the scales. His Tracker is a very nice fishing boat - not quite as forgiving to the movement of fishermen inside but it doesn't bob as much in heavier winds while anchored or drifting. Hull design is probably the difference.
Both of us couldn't be happier with our 60hp mercs, they start instantly, run quiet and will troll for hours without a hiccup. They are also unbelievably fuel efficient. I went fishing 9 days the first year I had the boat and barely burned a half a tank of fuel!
Another advantage of the 176XT vs larger-faster boats , insurance is dirt cheap! $93 a year for full coverage. Sure upsets me when I have to pay over a $1000 a year for insurance on 15 year old Waverunners :(.

Back