2006 Chevy problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Silverado, while driving today my AC blower stopped working. De- frost, heater, nothing works. Any ideas??

Bubby:)

Common problem is the blower motor resistor. I saw something about a recall for this issue, but not sure. Can't hurt to ask your GM dealer.

The resistors are an easy replacement. I replaced my wifes in her liberty and mine in my avalanche in about an hour. Around $25 for the resistor. Mine was behind glove box, towards heater vent on floor.

The resistor is a pretty easy change if thats what the issue is.

Just be glad its not the blend door actuator for the hot/cold. I have the dual zone climate control on my 2006 Silverado and i had to change the passenger side hot/cold blend door actuator this summer. I had hot air on the passenger side only, no ac(drivers side was fine). It required some serious dash surgery to remove and replace it. Radio, airbag, onstar control box etc all had to come out and the top of the dash removed to get to it and i still had to work blindly by feel to get it done( its under the defrost ducting). All told a two hour job, i imagine a dealer would have charged at least a grand to do it.

My Chevy dealer here replaced a fan resistor or relay free of charge around 1 yr. ago or so.

I have a 2005 Silverado. There is a service bulletin or a campaign that covered it. Call your dealer for sure.

Oh ask me about the door actuator.....Carlos bugged me enough that I got mine fixed, same issues as Jim, hot on passanger cold on driver in summer. The ride up to and back from Michigan was interesting listening to CIII whine the whole way!!:lol: On heat mine was also stuck on defrost. New control unit first...didn't solve the problem for long....new blend door motor and the total bill came to $1,600. I never let Carlos forget it either....Now I have to put both rear door lock motors in. Won't lock rear doors with the fob, unlocks fine. That's a weekend job for Carlos:lol::p No dealer on that one. Don't get me wrong, I like my truck but I am on my 3rd intermediate steering shaft, they need to get it designed right. Dealer has done the last 2 on goodwill, I just pay labor but now the 3rd one is starting to clunk again:angry:

Mine was just the one actuator, here is a pic of what my dash looked like while i was fixing it. I had to take off a lot of stuff....

i-7gDThTv-L.jpg

I have only had the steering shaft on mine done once under warranty and that was well over 100k miles ago and it still does not clunk. I have heard of an aftermarket shaft(dorman) that is said to be much better than factory.

That picture is exactly why I let the stealership do it!! Plus I wanted to make sure if it went out again they were on the hook to replace it. 108k and my truck has been very good to me. Pulls like a team of mules (Mini used it to pull a cabin cruiser triple axle trailer out of a yard with the wheels sunk in the ground). MPG is what you expect, 12 towing or not. Motor is rock solid. Only thing under the hood replaced was the ISS and a battery. Did have the cluster replaced under warranty. So, shelling out the dough for the HVAC wasn't bad.

I just cant bring myself to spend the kind of dough a dealership would have wanted for something i can do myself. Its just the way im wired.

My 06 is at 140k now and other than that little bit of surgery i have replaced the water pump(leaking) , the ball joints(torn boots) and wheel bearings in the front( did them because i was 99% of the way there on the ball joints). Its been a pretty rock solid truck for me with not other issues, just regular maint. I am going to keep driving it until my nephew gets his license in 3 years or so then its his.

Latest posts

Back