2005 Nitro 288 Sport - Motor Shaft Length?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat_Rich

Reaction score
I am restoring a completely gutted Nitro 288 I found on Craigslist. And for the life of me I cannot find an answer to this question on the interwebz. The boat is not stored nearby so I can’t run out for measurements at the moment and was hoping someone knows what the shaft length is for the future motor on this particular boat. 20” or 25”?

I have a2003 Nitro 288 that I re-powered with a 225 Evinrude Ficht with a 25" shaft. It works but I had to add a jack plate to hike it up. SO you should use a 20" motor if you have a choice. I'm unsure if the added height will affect the ski pilon yet as I have only had her on the water a few times for trials. Mine has taken 3-1/2 years so far with normal breaks for seasons and other life events and she even survived a car crash last year on my way to her speed trial at seasons' end! Prior to that, she turned 62 mph in the trial I took her out on. Back on land, I raised the prop height using the full jack plate adjustment to max out the height. Supposedly, she'll do a bit faster performance, I'm looking forward to the trial run upcoming soon! SO the bottom line is the rig was designed for a 20" shaft. My anti-ventilation plate is 1" higher than the keel and an approximate 3-3/4" between the c/l of prop and Pad of boat hull bottom. I hope this helps you out so that you don't struggle through like me, let me know if you need anything else.

I have a2003 Nitro 288 that I re-powered with a 225 Evinrude Ficht with a 25" shaft. It works but I had to add a jack plate to hike it up. SO you should use a 20" motor if you have a choice. I'm unsure if the added height will affect the ski pilon yet as I have only had her on the water a few times for trials. Mine has taken 3-1/2 years so far with normal breaks for seasons and other life events and she even survived a car crash last year on my way to her speed trial at seasons' end! Prior to that, she turned 62 mph in the trial I took her out on. Back on land, I raised the prop height using the full jack plate adjustment to max out the height. Supposedly, she'll do a bit faster performance, I'm looking forward to the trial run upcoming soon! SO the bottom line is the rig was designed for a 20" shaft. My anti-ventilation plate is 1" higher than the keel and an approximate 3-3/4" between the c/l of prop and Pad of boat hull bottom. I hope this helps you out so that you don't struggle through like me, let me know if you need anything else.
Evinrude Ficht 225 jack plate.jpg
Nitro 288 port strern trailer view.jpg

So as you can see, a real pretty combination that works well. Of course if you add a large motor, you'll need the hydraulic steering to harness all those horses! Hey, does anybody know of a better fitment for the steering hose transitions. I made it up with compression adapters and some copper tubing, perhaps there is some manufactured fitting or hose adapter that I am unaware of?

Latest posts

Back