2003 Nitro 700LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Owens

Reaction score
I just bought this boat used. The motor runs great, but the boat has a fearsome tendancy to roll to the right with the motor all the way down its horrible, when I trim up there is like a sweet spot, but it wont get out of the hole well at that angle. Im thinking of getting a 13.75 x 21P 4 blade SST prop. Just hate to part with that much green. I need to though, the aluminum prop has a chunk knocked out of it.

The trim tab on the engine is cranked pretty far to the right. It also has a anti torque tab on the skeg. It had a Attwood 2 piece hydro foil on it, but it was impossible to run with it on. The boat would only stay level in a left turn. trying to keep it straight resulted in about a 30-40 degree list to the right. I took it off and noticed the bolts were not very tight. I might put it back on with new bolts just to test it again.

Are these boats really that un driveable? I talked with tracker service and they said thats just how they all drive. I call that BS.

you have to be trimmed down to get the boat up on plane as it gets up start trimming your motor up until you hit the sweet spot that you mentioned.

i have a 2005 700lx with a 2008 90 hp. merc and it came with a 12.5 x 21 prop, 13.75 x 21 sounds a little big on the diameter to me, but there are other guys on here that know more about that than i do.

most boats (especially bass boats) have a tendacy to pull to the right since thats the direction that the prop turns,once you've trimmed out the boat should level off and handle alot better

This sounds like my first experience with my '05 750 which I think is very similar to the 700. The first time I took it out I was very concerned. It pulled so bad to the right I wondered what in the heck have I bought. Then I decided I needed to mess around with it some first and as Dan mentioned above found out what it wanted. When you take off, tuck the motor all the way down. As you accelerate, and it comes out of the hole, then start trimming it up. Assuming yours is similar to mine, you soon will get the hang of it and it will be an afterthought, and I do like it a lot now. What prop is on yours now? I think the stock prop on that size rig with a 90 is the 12.75x21 aluminum. I did buy a 21P SS prop, and picked up 2mph tops, and really not much in the way of hole shot performance. I was patient and did my homework and picked it up off of E-bay for not too terribly much money.

This is a lot more than just adjusting trim tabs, trust me. I came out of a Procraft that you could accelerate with about any trim setting and then trim up to reach maximum speed and performance. It takes some seat time, even if the tabs are set correctly on these hulls.

My 05 640LX / tweaked 75 Opti does the same thing. get some seat time and figure the trim sequence out. I dont even notice it any more it is so short and minimal.

My NX750 did the same thing with a 115 until I figured out how/when to trim it. For blast off, trim it full down. As soon as the bow starts dropping, start trimming up. It kept it from rolling. I'd get rid of the 'foil too.

RH

I got my new prop in. It was the one which was recommended on the Mercury outboard website using their prop selector app. It is a 13.75 x 21p 4 blade Trophy Plus. I took it in the tracker to have a couple of issues fixed and they adjusted my trim tab while it was in there. Now its just to the right of center. The hole shot is alot better now for sure. The rolling effect is still there, but greatly reduced. At least now it doesnt feel like im on a roller coaster. My big problem now is pourposing. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it dont. It seems like there is a very fine line between stable and unstable with this hull. Im thinking about getting some Nauticus Smart Tabs. They are only $125 so its a cheap and easy solution to the stability problem. SHould also help with the hole shot too. Do any of you know anyone who has used these?

Got the trim tabs installed. All is right in the world again. Finally a boat I can control.

Latest posts

Back