2001 nitro new owner question-please help!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm picking up my used 2001 Nitro NX 750DC with a 90hp Merc tomorrow. It's my first "real" boat, and I have a couple questions.

My first question is: do I need a V6 truck to pull this boat. I've read a couple diff. things about it's weight. I've read the package weight is 2325lbs for the SC, and the friend I'm buying it off says his brochure has that weight, but another document has 2900lbs. Is it possible the DC weighs that much more than the SC?

The reason it matters is because I'm getting a truck and the V6 is a lot more $ with a towing package. the max rating for a 4 cylinder Tacoma is 3500lbs with a class 2 hitch. That sounds like plenty, but I've never towed a boat before. The V6 gives the capacity up to 6500 pounds with the towing package, but it's $4000 more.

Second queston is about the boat itself. The clearcoat/gelcoat on the boat is very faded. My friend says they "screwed it up" when they first did it and he just never followed up on it. How much would it be to get this repaired?

Thank you so much for reading all this and helping out. I'm sure I'll be around a lot asking a lot of questions. Thanks again, and any helpful adivce is always welcome!!

Jay:

I have a 2001 175 Sport/ Fish & Ski. Weighs about the same as yours. I pull this boat with my 4 cyl Tacoma with no problem at all. Of course, in Florida it is mostly flat roads. I would suspect if you are pulling up hills, it might be a little sluggish, but will still do the job.

As a new owner you, like everyone else, will have the desire to put everything you own in the boat. All that weight adds up over time. Don't overload the boat.

On the gel-coat try some 3M fiberglass finisher/restorer. It is lightly abrasive and will help remove some of the oxidation. After that just keep a good coat of wax on it.

If the previous owner, allowed the boat to oxidize, they probally neglected other maintenance too. First thing it would do is service the wheel bearings before you hit the road. After that just get to know the boat and motor before you make any long runs.

Good luck...have fun

Jay,

I have a 2001 Nitro 175 Sport F&S with a 75 hp. It is listed at just over 2300 lbs. for the package (boat/trailer). Remember, when loaded with gas and gear it goes over that. Perhaps that's why the 2900 lbs. is quoted. It may easily be that much.

To answer the question of tow vehicle, YES, get the 6 cyl.! There are several reasons for this. The loaded package will need at least that to maintain speed on a grade (uphill). It is also going to need it for many ramps you could be using. Compared to a smaller engine, it will work less hard and thereby saving you gas and stress on the engine. Trust me, you need AT LEAST a 6 cyl.! I bought my 2001 new and pulled it for 8 years with a Chevy 6 cyl. Silverado and had no trouble. That said, last year I bought a new Silverado with a V8 and 4x4 and all the trailering package Chevy offered. It is unbelievable! I am getting better mileage from the V8 towing than I did with the 6cyl. as a friend of mine told me I would. Please do not even consider a 4 cyl.

As to the gel coat finish, mine has been garaged since I've owned it (heavily used though), and the gel coat looks as good today as when new. I have no answer for that. But, I have seen gel coats ruined by people trying polish on them. Somebody here should be able to offer advice on that.

See my pics for boat and both tow vehicles I've mentioned.

First off, you guys are the best. Why are fisherman the best people around??!!

I'm really glad to hear this about the V6. I'm going to buy my new truck in about an hour and I was really agonizing over the V6, thinking I was being foolish and overspending just to get the better truck for myself. I live in NH in a town called "Hillsboro", so that gives you an idea of the hills around here.

The boat and trailer have been sitting in a garage for a little over a year and a half now, so I do not think much maintenance was done. I'll be sure to check the tires and bearings before I get on the road.

Thanks so much again guys. I'll post some pics for the boat and truck later tomorrow!

4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder? Get the 6...the 6 will definitely pull it. I pulled a 20' Stratos for about 3 years with my 6 cylinder and I am now pulling my 17' Nitro with it. If you really want to help matters, get a transmission cooler. Don't settle for the one that may come with the "towing package". Add another one.

As far the oxidation on the boat...wetsand, then buff and polish with a compound and wax. Check out the link below for information on how to restore the "shine" to the gel coat. My boat was really oxidized and I got her back to shining using the techniques in the link and I am greatly satisfied. I've still got some work to do on it, but it already looks 100% better than it did before I wetsanded, buffed, and polished it.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/311487

Jay congrats on the new boat, I had the same on in a 2003 model for a couple of years and really enjoyed the NX750.

A couple of thoughts on my end, if the boat has been sitting up, do yourself a favor and have the foot oil changed as well as the pump impeller. It is always better to start off knowing what you have, than finding out too late.

Get the V6!!! 4 Bangers are great if all you do is drive from point A to B, you get that boat on a steep, slick ramp, and you may feel silly!!

Good luck and enjoy.

Hey everyone,

I ended up getting the 2010 Tacoma V6 Double Cab with the SR5 package+Grade Package+tow package. It has a really cool backup camera that is focused just over the hitch for easy trailer loading. The Towing package came with a Class IV hitch, extra oil cooler, extra transmission cooler, 130A alternator, heavy duty battery, and a 7 pin connector.

I love it. It's a great truck.

I'll let you know how it does tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the advice!!!!!

Hi Jay - Congrats on the boat and truck! What a week for you!!!

You'll have NO issue with that V6 and that boat, I towed my 700lx 115 merc for years with a v6 minivan and it really didn't know it was back there half the time, so with the Toyo rated over 6000lbs you'll be in great shape. Now get some pics up in your library of the new boat and truck, and welcome home!

Yeah, I'm feeling a little woozy this AM from spending that much $ this weekend. Now I have to go to work and try to pretend like I actually care and am not thinking of my new rig sitting in the driveway. :D

I've put some pics up in my library. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Have a great day everyone! Tight lines all!

That is my exact model boat. I pulled it for a couple of years with my 1996 Explorer 6-cylinder with no real problems. Make sure you leave yourself elbow room for stopping as I believe that weight-wise the package just about can dictate what the vehicle can do with the load.

Hey everyone,

So after inspecting the boat the only part of the clearcoat that is damaged/dull is the top of the boat, but does not extend below the rub rail. He said the shrink wrap had damaged it when he got it. I actually found a letter where Tracker does promise to fix the boat at the end of the season. That was in 2001. He either never followed up or they never came through. I just called tracker and they are going to get back to me about it.

If they will not do it, I like the wetsand and buff and polish idea. Thanks for the advice gus!!

Get yourself an F150 and be done with it! J/K I would defiantly get the V6, I had a 4x4 Ranger with the 4.0 V6 before I bought my F150, all I had at the time were 2 Seadoo's on a Shorelander trailer, but there were times I didn't think that was even adequate (IE Green Mountain Res CO.)

Latest posts

Back