2000 nitro 175FS trailer rust

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
The trailer on my 2000 175FS has some concerning rust spots on the bottom of the cross members and the attachment points to the side runners. I know these box trailers rust from the inside out so I have no idea how thin the walls are. I fish fresh water only and boat launch is no far away so I grin and bear it but have no idea how I would recover a boat on the road if the trailer broke on me. most likely it would break pulling the boat up the launch. I climb my 300lb self on it and bounce like crazy to test it before ever trip to give me some feel good its not hanging like a loose tooth.

I'm tired of being concerned about that. I bought the boat in 2010 for $5500 and its been a good boat. only expenses are batteries and basic motor maintenance needed the entire time. ole 3 cyl 90 merc pops off on the first key.
I'd like to keep the boat for the foreseeable future. My lake is small and stumpy. I intentionally bought a low cost boat just in case I hit something and ruined the boat I would not be all that disappointed.

What would be the most cost effective way to deal with the trailer in this case? Would a shop weld some angle iron in spots to strengthen it up. Is there a way to measure how thick the usable walls are (Ultrasonic). without drilling holes? Any source for lower cost replacement trailers in the houston area, new or used?

how do you dispose of a trailer with rust?

Lots of questions I know. appreciate any input.

Invest some time to look for cracks in the welds, If any, either add some angles or have a welder decide best way to fix these issues.
sand rust spots and see how bad these are, more than likely you'll be able to sand and paint. Find the closest color to the trailer.
Hopefully your trailer was dipped in a bath of paint when it was made to coat the inside of the tube frame. I had to spend a lot of time when my trailer was about 15 years old, but after repairing it, it was good as new.

Invest some time to look for cracks in the welds, If any, either add some angles or have a welder decide best way to fix these issues.
sand rust spots and see how bad these are, more than likely you'll be able to sand and paint. Find the closest color to the trailer.
Hopefully your trailer was dipped in a bath of paint when it was made to coat the inside of the tube frame. I had to spend a lot of time when my trailer was about 15 years old, but after repairing it, it was good as new.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. my center crossover bar broke right in half this last year on my 1992 trailer. I still drove 10 miles to get the boat home. I welded it back together myself. I do plan to take it in this next year and have some bad spots cut out and replaced. A good welding shop should be able to handle any of this stuff for you. On mine mice and chipmunks have climbed into the frame up by the tongue. They make nests inside. This causes the moisture inside to stay wet for days especially in the spots all this nesting material settles.

Latest posts

Back