2000 Mercury 150 XR6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster2

Reaction score
I just updated from a 1992 Nitro 170TF (115 evinrude) to a 2000 Procraft Pro 185 (Mercury 150 XR6). I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this motor? I haven't heard much about them. Thanks.

John,

Carlos had one on his 896 before he went big time and bought the S & T Ranger. He can fill you in on the 150. I have the 200 XR6 and I love it except for hard starting in the winter after it sits for a few weeks.

John

I own a 2000 xr6 and i really like it. The xr6 is one of the most dependable motors merc makes if you take good care of it. I run mine hard and it has never given me a moments trouble in the time i have had mine. I have had to do some maint to it like water pumps and rebuild the fuel pump etc but i expect that.

I have a 150 XR6 on my Triton and have had no problems with it so far. Those engines are tough if you do the maintenance on them. They can be tough to start in cold weather and will gulp gas at WOT, otherwise it's a great motor.

Here's why you don't hear much good about them.

It's a CARBED motor. It pales in comparison to the easy starts of an EFI. Aside from smoking (more at startup) and being more difficult to start, you've got one of the best motors made. A tried and true semi-bulletproof 6 cylinder. Again, given the choice between an XR6 or an EFI, I'd take the EFI any day. Remember how the cars in the 70s were? Remember how they don't start the same way your new 2004 Chevy does? Same holds true, nothing more, nothing less.

Mike

The xr6 in NOT a hard motor to start if you know what your doing. The problem most people have is they pump the throttle and flood them. My xr6 starts easily first turn every time even on on cold mornings in the 30's. The reasion is i let the enrichener(choke) do its job and i dont pump the throttle.

Jim, my experience is with an Evinrude 115, which I took to two different mechanics for assistance with cold starts. Both told me carb motors just do that. But yes, some are certainly easier than others.

Mike what 115 rude did you have? I had a 97 115 intruder with is the 60deg v4 model. that one also started great, actually is started much easier them my buddies current evinrude ficht dfi.

John,

I have an '01 150XR6. Great motor. It is finnecky to start. I have to pump the bulb 6 times, choke it, turn it over hold the choke a second or two, then release the choke and then she starts. (Sounds harder then it really is, transparent to everyone but me) Find your system to get her started. After that, she runs great all day! I use the same system even when it is super cold, that does not seem to matter. She does enjoy eating the gas. I was also very careful to run the miantenance dose of QuickCleen in the gas every tank full.

Great motor, never a probem to me!!

Carlos

John I'm on my fourth season with mine. (2001 150xr6)

The only thing I've had problems with is last season my overheat buzzard started going off when ever I held her above 5500 rpms for long periods. Turns out my water pump propeller was worn and should have been replaced after the second season of running. Other than that the engine runs great. Since I'm not really a speed demon, running the engine between 4000 and 4500 rpms seems to give my engine the best gas mileage and allows me to make long distance runs in my tournaments.

Latest posts

Back