2 stroke oil question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Clark

Reaction score
I recently bought some 2 stroke motor oil. They only had 2 stroke oil for fuel injected motors in stock. I have a carborated motor. Is it ok to run that oil? The woman said it won't smoke as much but it is OK to run in a carborated motor. Hank

My view (and others will have their own preferences on oil), so long as it meets the NMMA TCW-3 minimum standards that your engine specifies, you should be good to go on the oil in a carbeurated engine.

So, that lady thinks the performance goal is more smoke? :wacko:

Thanks for the info guys. I guess there's less smoke with the oil for 2 stroke fuel injected motors. I don't think she meant that as a goal. I was just a comment she made. That was funny though Marty......Hank

Time out...

Hank. Exactly what oil did you buy?

The reason i ask is Merc and Evinrude both make oils that while suitable for the direct injected two strokes are not suitable for a carb motor and could damage it. If you bought Merc Optimax oil do NOT put it in your motor as it could damage it. Merc Premium or Premium plus will be fine( prem plus prefered in my opinion). If you have an evinrude or johnsonm, evinude Xd30 or XD50 would be fine. They dont specifically say on the XD100 if its ok or not but if err on the side of caution on that one too if thats what you bought. the xd100 is really meant for the etec and a special programing on the computer to use less oil.

Hi Jim, I'll check today on the name on the oil. the good thing is I am replacing the oil tank due to a bad float. I think the oil was the 2 stroke premium. I'll check today and THANKS for that very good information. Hank

Latest posts

Back