1998 Nitro Savage 884 Walk away or Purchase

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJSkunked

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to this forum saw a few posts about the savage era and saw nothing but great comments about own one and have a great service record on the water. I have recently come across one for sale, I have been in contact with the seller since he is currently a 3 hour drive from me I am trying to save the aggravation of making the drive through photos and word of mouth. I am waiting for a response on a rough estimate of hours on Merc 150 efi and compression test. The gentlemen sent me some shots today when I asked about the hulls condition. To my surprise the shots displeased me almost not wanting to make the sale happen. So I figured I'd ask the pro's on this forum if I should walk away or make the drive up to purchase. I currently have a 2001 16ft G3 that I am looking to upgrade from/slight winter project. The owner says seats and carpet need to be replaced current price is $6200.

Thanks again,
Matt

119965298_359645305166127_5946488035731441415_n_LI.jpg
122573260_877672279642582_3973657518659270422_n.jpg
122630419_1049954485416172_8194052275195599929_n.jpg
122727478_352623465797629_3177815582272690422_n.jpg

i own a 95 nitro . if thats all the damage you are worried about just fix it . some epoxy and red dye and sparkles will fix it . rough sand the chip , dont try to sand more. fill with epoxy ,when hard sand and rub out with compound. if you do it right it will be almost impossible to find . my boat is blue but i used black carbon to color the epoxy. the couple of chips i fixed are almost invisible. thats a pretty boat . i would check for delaminations and evidence of damaged stringers. any boat that old is bound to have a few nicks.

i own a 95 nitro . if thats all the damage you are worried about just fix it . some epoxy and red dye and sparkles will fix it . rough sand the chip , dont try to sand more. fill with epoxy ,when hard sand and rub out with compound. if you do it right it will be almost impossible to find . my boat is blue but i used black carbon to color the epoxy. the couple of chips i fixed are almost invisible. thats a pretty boat . i would check for delaminations and evidence of damaged stringers. any boat that old is bound to have a few nicks.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely take all that into consideration.

Make the drive and have the boat inspected by a certified marine mechanic. Walk away if you cannot physically have the boat inspected. There is not just the hull, but of course the motor and don't neglect the trailer. Trolling motor, electrical system, bilge system.... You didn't state the year of the boat and motor. It looks pretty in the picture but $6200 seems a little high to me. What is the NADA value? A tank of gas is nothing considering a $6200 minimum investment that you could easily put $8K into.

Make the drive and have the boat inspected by a certified marine mechanic. Walk away if you cannot physically have the boat inspected. There is not just the hull, but of course the motor and don't neglect the trailer. Trolling motor, electrical system, bilge system.... You didn't state the year of the boat and motor. It looks pretty in the picture but $6200 seems a little high to me. What is the NADA value? A tank of gas is nothing considering a $6200 minimum investment that you could easily put $8K into.

Hi Tim,

Year of the boat and motor is a 1998. The seller wouldn't provide me with any other photos as he claims its in winter storage. He gave me his bottom line which is $6k. The price is way to high with already needing seats, carpet, not knowing the condition of the motor, and like you said everything trailer wise electrical etc. I may pass on it for now Ill run him a number that I feel is worth it for the boat and let him stew on him. Thanks for the input its much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back