1998 700 LX help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Holliday

Reaction score
I have a 1998 700 LX and I noticed on both sides of the transome where the bump rail is that it looks like the top cap has raised off the hull a little. the bump rail actually raised about 1 inch or so from where the silicone bead had beed on the bottom of the bump rail. is this common??? any ideas what I should do this doesnt make me very happy for sure.:angry:

I am not sure how do add photos. but I have some. Bob I sent them to your e-mail address let me know if you need anything else. Thanks That didn't work Bob any suggestions to get you Photos

boat.jpg

It's really hard to tell from the pics....but......it would take an awful lot to allow the rubrail to "move". It appears as though the silicone bead has merely lost it's grip and "fell".....

Your topcap is a "shoebox" fit, the outer edge of the topcap fits over the lower edge of the hull and then screws located under your rubrail hold the 2 together. It is common to have to re-tighten these screws on a regular basis. The bottom of the housing that holds the rubber rubrail normally has a generous amount of silicone on it to prevent water fron coming in under it when running. What you need to do (and then report back) is:

1. Check to see if there is any movement in your topcap/hull in the area of your picture. Pushing up on the topcap will show you.

2. Using a screwdriver, pull loose about a 2 foot section of the rubrail and inspect to see the condition of the screws and if they are broken or backed out.

If everything is tight and secure, then you just have a messy bead of silicone which you can remove and replace.

TOXIC

Thanks Guys I will do that as soon as I get some time and report back. I know the silicone didn't let loose it is definately a cap or screw issue.

Latest posts

Back